Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

HELP! Looking for advice and article on recording electric guitar amps.

dturner

Greeting!

I am getting ready to add a blues guitar lead to a backing track I created, and would like to get some advice on micing my amp. My setup will include a strat thru a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, and will be recorded into a DIGI 001 running on a Mac.

I have tried close micing with an SM75, AT4050 and Rode NT1, but the recordings just don't inspire me.

Sometime over the last year or so, I read a great article in one of the major music mags about using a flat panel [plywood maybe] to reflect the sound from an amp toward a mic, rather than going the usual close micing route. As I recall, the article also included a very interesting discussion of how and why this approach was useful. Can anyone help me figure out where and when this article appeared. Also, any advice beyond "stick a 57 in front of it" will be welcomed.

Thanks so much.

Dennis

Cedarville, OH

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe it was a Chris Tsangarides interview in either Sound on Sound or Pro Audio Review.

Try stuff..... I give you an example. We were recently comparing the sound of Cornford being close mic'd with a Senn 421 and a BLUE Dragonfly about a foot away. At one point, the engineer put both of them on..... and they were totally out of phase :freak: but the sound was totally cool!!!!

Mic the back of the amp, mic outside the room, mic the guitar acoustically too. no rules!

Andy

Archived