Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Pro Tools Free question

I'm trying out Pro Tools Free, and I'm having a problem playing back two audio tracks in sync. I've got a 1.4Gz Pentium running Windows/Me and a SoundBlaster Live! Value soundcard. I've tried recording with each different hardware buffer size, as well as playing back with each. If I set it too low when recording (between 128 and 1024), I get a message that says I need to increase it. When I record a rhythm guitar track then solo over it on a second track, the two tracks are way out of sync with each other. Am I missing something or did I just get what I paid for? ;) Thanks, Paul

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why the hell don't they offer a version of PT Free that works on XP systems??? The only computer I have that still runs 98 doesn't have a 7200 rpm drive, so it's practically useless with PT. WTF? I just wanna mess aroung with PT Free to see what all the hype is about, but I CAN'T! Oh, well, I guess I won't be buying pT anytime soon...

digi is the most f***ed corp ever. i used to be a alsihad freak, now im a digibasher. unfortunately i still love the software, so its my main rig and pretty much all i use for editing. but i hate digi's "f*** you" attitude. i reccomend a motu 828 to everyone who asks....and no one has been any less than happy!

yea i hear ya. i agree to a point also. my 2 main beefs with digi are: 1. you HAVE to use THEIR hardware, and its not configurable in any way thats any good for the user. even if you have a TDM setup and you would like to add an interface it will most likely cost you thousands of $$$ and you will have a pile of hardware left over that you can no longer use (because almost nothing is compatible with the next thing you need) 2. my biggest beef is that because i bought protools back in 4.0 version, and i have upgraded the entire time, by the time i upgraded to 5.1 i had over $2000 in the setup. [i]Then they came out with the 001[/i] . there is no upgrade path for the am3 users to get an 001. you can buy an 001 for way under 1/2 what i have into my am3 card, and get the same software i paid over $2000 for. in order for me to upgrade to an 001, i have to remove my am3 card and re-purchase all the software [i]I already bought[/i] . sure, i have two copies. one of which i would never use, but hey i could sell it for $150. so the people who bought the digi 001 new spend under $1000 for something that would cost me over $3000. THAT PISSES ME OFF. they could have simply offered people like me the interface for $400 and i would have been happy with that. but NO, they shit all over the people who have been there all along. what they are saying is "dont buy our stuff, just wait until we come out with something new. never upgrade, just wait until we offer something new and you can get in cheaper than the suckers who bought our old - now obsolete crap." basically they are saying "fuck you" to their users. and dont get me started about the removal of virtual tracks and voice OFF functions in the "upgrade" RRRRR. i want my MOTU!

[quote]Originally posted by Alndln Hammer: [b] [quote]Originally posted by pauldil: [b]I'm trying out Pro Tools Free, and I'm having a problem playing back two audio tracks in sync. [/b][/quote]:D :D :D :D [/b][/quote]You're laughing [b][i]WITH[/i][/b] me, right?? :D

[quote]Originally posted by Hank The Cave Peanut: [b]Do you mean that when you are overdubbing, the newly-overdubbed track is late compared to what's already recorded?[/b][/quote]Yes, that's it exactly. They claim in the doc that there's no additional hardware needed... Thanks for the info, Paul

[quote]Originally posted by pauldil: [b]You're laughing [b][i]WITH[/i][/b] me, right?? :D [/b][/quote]Yup!I'm laughing at Digi.Although it was nice of them to offer a free version of their software,it was so horribly implented with the availible hardare that it's practically unusable for almost anyone with any setup.Either get the Digoo 001 or 002 setup or look elsewhere.Trying to get PT Free managable is a waste of time.
"A Robot Playing Trumpet Blows"

Archived