Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

carvin sx-100 combo

peel

Hi

Cant recall who posted about this amp but I liked what a heard and read on the website.

Im in Canada and theres no way to demo it here, which is too bad as sounds great. Anyone have any direct experience with this amp?

Any reviews or articles to check out?

thx Peel

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have one of the early ones, the SX-200 model with two 12-in. speakers; I bought it in 1988. It is really a very versatile, good-sounding amp. It is loud, clear, and the distortion sound is remarkably tubesque as they claim. If you are a real tube purist you probably can pick bones with it, but for the price I think it's a good workhorse and I just keep hanging on to it.

I don't know how much they have evolved the circuitry since 1988, other than they added a digital multieffects (mine has a spring reverb only). I don't know if the effects are good or not.

I hope Craig doesn't mind using his quote, here it is right from the Carvin website:

Craig Anderton says " The reason I find the Carvin SX amps so attractive is because you can get clean sounds - clean enough to serve as a recording amp in the studio - as well as some of the sweetest distortion sounds I've ever heard from a solid state amp. It's no small feat to please me in that respect; remember I've spent a lot of my adult life designing fuzzes to get the sound I want, since conventional fuzzes sound too rough for my tastes. Carvin's distortion circuit though is exceptional. A lot of folks claim to give a tube sound; frankly, the Carvin sounds better than a lot of the tube circuits I've used - it's almost like the SX produces an idealized tube sound rather than a real tube sound.

Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

Originally posted by strat0124:

I hope Craig doesn't mind using his quote, here it is right from the Carvin website:

Craig Anderton says " The reason I find the Carvin SX amps so attractive is because you can get clean sounds - clean enough to serve as a recording amp in the studio - as well as some of the sweetest distortion sounds I've ever heard from a solid state amp. It's no small feat to please me in that respect; remember I've spent a lot of my adult life designing fuzzes to get the sound I want, since conventional fuzzes sound too rough for my tastes. Carvin's distortion circuit though is exceptional. A lot of folks claim to give a tube sound; frankly, the Carvin sounds better than a lot of the tube circuits I've used - it's almost like the SX produces an idealized tube sound rather than a real tube sound.

Exactly! Carvin's tube emulator is AMAZING! It's got really good distortion. It almost had me fooled as to being solidstate. It's not quite there but it sounds aweful close to tube overdrive. Not to mention it has sweet chorus on it. For the price, you can't beat 'em.

Archived