Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Feel free to ask Myles

myles_rose

Hey Miles,

save me some messing around...

I'me expecting to take delivery on a THD UniValve and cabinet tomorrow. I'm looking for that late 60s British sound. Got a tube recommendation for me?

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Yeah Myles, let's talk tubes for Univalves again. :)

I got mine a couple of days ago, and so far I'm digging a Mullard 12AX7 in V1, and a Telefunken "Select" 12AT7 in V2... although another Mullard 12AX7 is nice in V2 too. Output tubes are a bit scarce around here - I can't find my main output tube storage box, so I'm limited a bit - I've only tried a Svetlana EL34, a Sylvania 6V6, a Sovtek 6V6, a GT 6V6 NOS (rawks!) and a GT EL34 (I forget which one at the moment).

Specific suggestions for specific "tone types" would be greatly appreciated!

BTW, running it as a "front end" for another amp via the adjustable line / instrument output DOES rock - thanks for that suggestion. :cool:

Originally posted by bpark@prorec.com:

Hey Miles,

save me some messing around...

I'me expecting to take delivery on a THD UniValve and cabinet tomorrow. I'm looking for that late 60s British sound. Got a tube recommendation for me?

Bill

Bill.....

Try and ECC83S in V1 and V2 and then in the output tube I like the yellow jacket adaptor or the GT 928 (NOT THE 928PR) with an EL84 for the Voxish tones.

For the Marshall tones I like a E34LS in a #2-3 rating for the output tube with the same preamp tubes.

Myles S. Rose

www.guitaramplifierblueprinting.com

www.la-economy.blogspot.com

www.facebook.com/mylesr

www.twitter.com/myles111us

Originally posted by Philip O'Keefe:

Yeah Myles, let's talk tubes for Univalves again. :)

I got mine a couple of days ago, and so far I'm digging a Mullard 12AX7 in V1, and a Telefunken "Select" 12AT7 in V2... although another Mullard 12AX7 is nice in V2 too. Output tubes are a bit scarce around here - I can't find my main output tube storage box, so I'm limited a bit - I've only tried a Svetlana EL34, a Sylvania 6V6, a Sovtek 6V6, a GT 6V6 NOS (rawks!) and a GT EL34 (I forget which one at the moment).

Specific suggestions for specific "tone types" would be greatly appreciated!

BTW, running it as a "front end" for another amp via the adjustable line / instrument output DOES rock - thanks for that suggestion. :cool:

Phil,

There are so many combinations here. I might have some stuff in the THD area of my website.

Writing here would take a LONG bunch of stuff.

Maybe just call me at about 1:00PM PST here at 1-800-459-5687.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Myles,

I bought a Traynor YCV20WR a few months ago from Musician's Friend. My first tube amp. I only play at home, so the amp is set up in my music room. I notice when I turn the volume up on my guitar and play, the amp will cut in and out like it has a short somewhere. It does this on both channels. It doesnt seem to be as noticeable with the volume turned down. I thought at first it was my guitar, so I tried with my Strat and Les Paul and both encountered the same problem. Since I am new to tube amps, I'm not sure if that is common or not. Does the amp have some type of breaker to prevent it from getting too loud or maybe it's a tube problem. Thanks for you help with this.

I had very similar troubles, which turned out to be a preamp tube that was loose in its socket due to short pins.

It only happened when I turned up as the vibrations were unseating the tube. So it might also be worth swapping a preamp tube or two if the cable checks out?

Good luck...

Tea.

Originally posted by ridger:

Myles,

I bought a Traynor YCV20WR a few months ago from Musician's Friend. My first tube amp. I only play at home, so the amp is set up in my music room. I notice when I turn the volume up on my guitar and play, the amp will cut in and out like it has a short somewhere. It does this on both channels. It doesnt seem to be as noticeable with the volume turned down. I thought at first it was my guitar, so I tried with my Strat and Les Paul and both encountered the same problem. Since I am new to tube amps, I'm not sure if that is common or not. Does the amp have some type of breaker to prevent it from getting too loud or maybe it's a tube problem. Thanks for you help with this.

This is not common.

Look at the post above this one ... that is a good start.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Say, Myles...

...Do these "SAG"-kits always come with SAG-12AX7M-MPIs? Or did someone make a kind gesture and put a particularly nice tube in there for me, instead of "just" a good 12AX7 that made the grade as a "matched" phase-inverter?

If so- the latter- thanks, Myles!

:cool: Just got the tubes, won't be able to fire 'em up 'till morning, when I'll have the house to myself.

Thanks again!

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Originally posted by Caevan O'Shite:

Say, Myles...

...Do these "SAG"-kits always come with SAG-12AX7M-MPIs? Or did someone make a kind gesture and put a particularly nice tube in there for me, instead of "just" a good 12AX7 that made the grade as a "matched" phase-inverter?

If so- the latter- thanks, Myles!

:cool: Just got the tubes, won't be able to fire 'em up 'till morning, when I'll have the house to myself.

Thanks again!

Caevan O'Shite ...........

I have been using M's as much as I can when we have stock for the MPIs as their current output is great. The Sovtek 12AX7WC and the 12AX7C are also great as PIs and technically as long as the traces match they should all be the same .... but .... when the PI goes into distortion in some amps I prefer the charter of the distorted waveform of the M.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

G'mornin', Myles!

The amp definitely sounds better, healthier, bolder 'n' more robust now, as well as clearer, more focused, and without that strange tremolo-like phase-cancelation I'd get on certain notes on the fretboard. A real textbook example of a MPI vs a worn old unmatched "generic"!

:cool: I already had a stash of various tubes, so I followed your recommendation and put another GT ECC83 in V3, and a GT 12AX7R in V4, to round out the complete retubing of the "Vintage 33".

:rolleyes: I accidentally had those last two switched; after a while, I got some strange, fading in-and-out internal feedback with the reverb, a sputtering Gb rising to a G (comparable to the 11th- and 12th-frets, 3rd-string). :freak: When I discovered that I had those two tubes in the opposite, respective positions, I switched 'em around, and so far the sputtering moan has not returned. :thu:

G'mornin', Myles!

The amp definitely sounds better, healthier, bolder 'n' more robust now, as well as clearer, more focused, and without that strange tremolo-like phase-cancelation I'd get on certain notes on the fretboard. A real textbook example of a MPI vs a worn old unmatched "generic"!

:cool: I already had a stash of various tubes, so I followed your recommendation and put another GT ECC83 in V3, and a GT 12AX7R in V4, to round out the complete retubing of the "Vintage 33".

:rolleyes: I accidentally had those last two switched; after a while, I got some strange, fading in-and-out internal feedback with the reverb, a sputtering Gb rising to a G (comparable to the 11th- and 12th-frets, 3rd-string). :freak: When I discovered that I had those two tubes in the opposite, respective positions, I switched 'em around, and so far the sputtering moan has not returned. :thu:

Caevan O'Shite.........

Glad you got it going ... happy playing.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by Big Red 67:

Myles, I have a pro junior. Stock tubes. What can I get to put into it that will clean the tone up slightly. I play at 4.2 or 4.25 max most of the time.

New question, How hard would it be to set up both sets of tubes (new clean, old drity) with a switch to switch between them?

Thanks, Red

Red,

It would be less expensive to buy two amps and switch them using an A/B switch.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Hey Myles, do you have the ability to test tubes at your place? I was just wondering - if I come by some weeked if I should bring some of my tube stock along for testing. :)

Philip,

I keep most of my own test gear at GT but at home I do have a VTV tester for preamp tubes that I use on the road.

If I know in advance I can bring home stuff to test output tubes.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Speakin' o' tube testers, Myles, I was recently gifted with an old Century "Fast Check Tube Tester".

Any words of advice? What should I look for, or look out for? What's it good for, and not so good for?

Thanks again!

P.S.- Oh, by the way- what's a 12BA6? There were two of 'em left in the case...

Thanks again, again!

Speakin' o' tube testers, Myles, I was recently gifted with an old Century "Fast Check Tube Tester".

Any words of advice? What should I look for, or look out for? What's it good for, and not so good for?

Thanks again!

P.S.- Oh, by the way- what's a 12BA6? There were two of 'em left in the case...

Thanks again, again!

Caevan O'Shite .............

No knowledge on that particular tester.

Most older tube testers never had guitar amps in mind so they are not of much use for ourput tubes as they only develop about 150 volts B+ which gives false and inconsistent readings.

BUT ... for preamp tubes they can be pretty cool.

The 12BA6 is a small pentode. It can take about 330 plate volts and about the same on the screen. They put out about 3 1/2 watts or so. You won't have much use for this in a guitar amp and they will not cross to anything. They also have a seven pin base.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Myles,

What are your thoughts on the best sounding rack-mount guitar processor? I'm looking for highest quality sound, don't need a lot of bells and whistles - just some good simulated amp models (especially Fender clean and Marshall crunch) and some basic effects.

Thanks.

I'm not Myles, but I am going to guess at what he'll suggest for that - a Pod XT Pro. :wave:

Thanks for chiming in, Philip. I have the Line 6 Guitar Port and while it's fun to mess around with, I'm not overly impressed with sound quality -- it's noisy and the clean sounds aren't that great. Is the XT Pro substantially better in this regard?

Thanks Myles - I'd definitely let you know in advance of my driving out there. Oh, and feel free to call me Phil - pretty much everyone else does. :)

Phil,

Just let me know when you want to get together and I will shift things around as required.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

I'm not Myles, but I am going to guess at what he'll suggest for that - a Pod XT Pro. :wave:

Phil,

Thats pretty much the best bang for the buck and Line 6 has this down better than anybody else I can think of at the moment.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by myles111:

Phil,

Thats pretty much the best bang for the buck and Line 6 has this down better than anybody else I can think of at the moment.

Myles,

Does your response confirm that the POD XT Pro has significantly better sound quality than their Guitar Port (which to me is noisy and not so good on clean sounds)?

Originally posted by WaterMan:

Originally posted by myles111:

Phil,

Myles,

Does your response confirm that the POD XT Pro has significantly better sound quality than their Guitar Port (which to me is noisy and not so good on clean sounds)?

Waterman, I have not tried the Guitar Port, but I do own a studio and do recording for a living, and I have a Pod XT. I've also owned literally dozens of amp sims, plug ins, speaker loading / sim boxes and hardware modellers over the years, as well as a lot of real amps. I currently own several such tools. IMO, the XT is probably THE best amp modeller available. Short of getting a mic on a real amp in a good room, that's really about as good as it gets right now, and it's a very useful tool.

I wouldn't be a bit surprised to learn that the Guitar Port didn't sound as good as an XT. They're different products and designed for different markets and for different purposes. And there's a significant price difference between the two.

You may not like the tones - not everyone does. But they're really not noisy. I can't speak for Guitar Port, but from your description of your needs, the Pod XT Pro would definitely be worth a test drive.