Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Feel free to ask Myles

myles_rose

Hey dude, I want to retube my Peavey Classic 100 watt head, what do you recommend?

I want it to be dynamic, warm and punchy.

It sounds great still with these tubes but I wonder if I am just desensitized.

I have never retubed any amp I have owned cuz ALL

of them were Peavey and the tone seemed to stay

the same. Is there a benifit to retubing a Peavey? Or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Myles...

I think I'm in trouble with my Fender Hot Rod Deluxe.

In the last several weeks, I've been noticing what seems to be a "crackling" sound, even with no guitar plugged in... sort of like a gieger counter with a bit of uranium nearby. Sometimes it was real loud and noticable, sometimes not so loud...

But the amp seemed to be working ok, otherwise.

In retrospect this was certainly a warning sign.

Now, my amp powers up fine, but all the volume is nearly gone. It's like 1/10th the volume output. Fully cranked, it's like a tiny transistor amp... the gain channels all do their gain thing, just with little volume, and running my UniValve into the poweramp in as I normally do, hardly provides any volume at all.

Of course I changed all the tubes and looked for any obvious mis or disconnected parts... no luck... even with different tubes... same problem.

What's weird is that it works at this "reduced" volume... instead of not at all.

So... any idea on what it might be? Who can I trust down here in San Diego land to help me?

Thanks in advance for your input or advice!

guitplayer

I'm still "guitplayer"!

Check out my music if you like...

http://www.michaelsaulnier.com

Originally posted by Dave th Dude:

Myles, this was posted on another thread, and I didn't know if you noticed it. I'm kinda' interested in the definitive answer too.

Author: Peemonkey

Senior Member Member # 39312

Topic: Gain Control Box do these work?

posted 07-07-2004 10:37

-------------------------------------------------

Ive seen these for sale and was wondering do these work good with tube amps, it basically just goes into effects loop so you crank up the volume or something on the amp and you lower it through this box, its supposed to get the tubes working at high volumes but with low output.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=38074&item=3734340774&rd=1

Heres a link for one on ebay

-------------------------------------------------

Dave th Dude

Dave,

I answered this right about your posted question.

Myles S. Rose

www.guitaramplifierblueprinting.com

www.la-economy.blogspot.com

www.facebook.com/mylesr

www.twitter.com/myles111us

Originally posted by flagshipmile:

Hey dude, I want to retube my Peavey Classic 100 watt head, what do you recommend?

I want it to be dynamic, warm and punchy.

It sounds great still with these tubes but I wonder if I am just desensitized.

I have never retubed any amp I have owned cuz ALL

of them were Peavey and the tone seemed to stay

the same. Is there a benifit to retubing a Peavey? Or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Flagship Mile ....

If this is you:

http://www.flagshipmile.com/pages/1/index.htm

I have you on my website. Your stuff is just terrific and I have sent "destination" and one other song off to RCA by the way.

On your Peavey .... this amp is VERT hard on tubes. On the Classic 50 and 100's I change the output sets every 300 hours.

In V1 and V2 I use the ECC83S. In V3 I use a matched phase inverter.

On the output tubes you want a #5 or #6 rating. The stock Sovteks make the amp sound like there was a blanket over the amp.

Keep up the GREAT work!

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by guitplayer:

Myles...

I think I'm in trouble with my Fender Hot Rod Deluxe.

In the last several weeks, I've been noticing what seems to be a "crackling" sound, even with no guitar plugged in... sort of like a gieger counter with a bit of uranium nearby. Sometimes it was real loud and noticable, sometimes not so loud...

But the amp seemed to be working ok, otherwise.

In retrospect this was certainly a warning sign.

Now, my amp powers up fine, but all the volume is nearly gone. It's like 1/10th the volume output. Fully cranked, it's like a tiny transistor amp... the gain channels all do their gain thing, just with little volume, and running my UniValve into the poweramp in as I normally do, hardly provides any volume at all.

Of course I changed all the tubes and looked for any obvious mis or disconnected parts... no luck... even with different tubes... same problem.

What's weird is that it works at this "reduced" volume... instead of not at all.

So... any idea on what it might be? Who can I trust down here in San Diego land to help me?

Thanks in advance for your input or advice!

guitplayer

guitplayer .......

These amps have lots of ribbon cable interconnects and they can get corrosion over a bit of time. I also like to clean and lube the pots and inspect the input jack. These are the weak spots in this amp.

Make sure your bias is also about 30mA or so.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Flagship Mile ....

If this is you:

I have you on my website. Your stuff is just terrific and I have sent "destination" and one other song off to RCA by the way.

On your Peavey .... this amp is VERT hard on tubes. On the Classic 50 and 100's I change the output sets every 300 hours.

On the output tubes you want a #5 or #6 rating. The stock Sovteks make the amp sound like there was a blanket over the amp.

Keep up the GREAT work!

Thanks dude. I will read this verbatim to my guitar tech so he can figure out what you mean. i am a dummy with this stuff. I don't know what V1 and V2 is. HAHA. wow, i didnt know the tubes got used up that quick. i havent ever changed them before. thanks for the input i will definatly do what you say.

Originally posted by flagshipmile:

Flagship Mile ....

If this is you:

Keep up the GREAT work!

Thanks dude. I will read this verbatim to my guitar tech so he can figure out what you mean. i am a dummy with this stuff. I don't know what V1 and V2 is. HAHA. wow, i didnt know the tubes got used up that quick. i havent ever changed them before. thanks for the input i will definatly do what you say.

flagshipmile ..........

If you get confused, feel free to call me toll free at 1-800-459-5687 .... you guys are great and I would be happy to assist a great band like you folks on their way UP.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Myles,

I have been seriously considering purchasing a THD UniValve or BiValve because of the flexibility afforded by using different tubes.

I have recently read a bit about Maven Peal and London Power amps, which seem to offer similar flexibility (albeit at higher prices for the most part). In addition to their amps, I am considering having London Power's "Power Scaling" mod installed in my 5150. LP's Kevin O'Connor says this mod affects the sound less than an attenuator.

I know you love the THD stuff, do you have any comments on these other makers? About the "Power Scaling" mod? Thanks,

Sean

Originally posted by shood:

Myles,

I have been seriously considering purchasing a THD UniValve or BiValve because of the flexibility afforded by using different tubes.

I have recently read a bit about Maven Peal and London Power amps, which seem to offer similar flexibility (albeit at higher prices for the most part). In addition to their amps, I am considering having London Power's "Power Scaling" mod installed in my 5150. LP's Kevin O'Connor says this mod affects the sound less than an attenuator.

I know you love the THD stuff, do you have any comments on these other makers? About the "Power Scaling" mod? Thanks,

Sean

shood ......

The Maven Peal amps are pretty cool. The THD amps have their own advantages too.

I think it is a matter of what you like in an amp "feature wise". I personally prefer a particular amp for a particular sound. The Maven Peal output adjustment deal is a cool feature for some folks but I feel that these amps would be really nice even without that feature as they have a cool tone and are very touch sensitive.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Hi Myles, I have picked up a NOS Mullard GZ34 from Germany quite reasonably priced for my AC30, plus a pair of Groovetubes "Mullard" ECC83 and a quad of UK Brimar EL84s from Derek at Watford Valves.

Added to the '64 Grey Alnico T1088 speakers I found, the amp is sounding sweeter than ever. I'm settled on the Normal Channel as my tone and so I would like to remove the "idle" tubes.

Is this ok? Will I put any extra strain on the remaining tubes?

Thanks for your time Myles. I appreciate your advice.

Tea. :thu:

• 3 weeks later...
Originally posted by Teahead:

Hi Myles, I have picked up a NOS Mullard GZ34 from Germany quite reasonably priced for my AC30, plus a pair of Groovetubes "Mullard" ECC83 and a quad of UK Brimar EL84s from Derek at Watford Valves.

Added to the '64 Grey Alnico T1088 speakers I found, the amp is sounding sweeter than ever. I'm settled on the Normal Channel as my tone and so I would like to remove the "idle" tubes.

Is this ok? Will I put any extra strain on the remaining tubes?

Thanks for your time Myles. I appreciate your advice.

Tea. :thu:

Tea ....

I am really sorry! I missed this one!

The Mullard GZ34 is more reliable than new rectifiers and also has more current available at the proper voltage. An improvement with no problems.

The Brimar EL84's ... will sound better and last longer than current EL84 tubes with the exception of the JJ EL84S which will last as long. Sonically the Brimar vs JJ will be a personal preference thing. They both sound great in the AC-30.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Myles:

My keyboard player's brother (who lives in Australia) bought a Gibson Goldtone (30rvs - the stereo amp combo version) on eBay. The seller did a major busch-league job on packing, and UPS did "bowling for dollars" with it.

Long story short, all the tube were smashed (yes, they were left in the sockets for shipping).

My key player is handling repairs through a local tech. For retubing this amp, any specific recommendations? It has 2 separate EL84 based amplifiers for stereo operation. I don't know what Gibson uses OEM. I offered my personal thoughts to the owner based on my experience with EL84 amps, and I'd love to get your input as I've never heard or played this amp.

Thanks

www.ruleradio.com

"Fame is like death: We will never know what it looks like until we've reached the other side. Then it will be impossible to describe and no one will believe you if you try."

- Sloane Crosley, Village Voice

Originally posted by daddyelmis:

Myles:

My keyboard player's brother (who lives in Australia) bought a Gibson Goldtone (30rvs - the stereo amp combo version) on eBay. The seller did a major busch-league job on packing, and UPS did "bowling for dollars" with it.

Long story short, all the tube were smashed (yes, they were left in the sockets for shipping).

My key player is handling repairs through a local tech. For retubing this amp, any specific recommendations? It has 2 separate EL84 based amplifiers for stereo operation. I don't know what Gibson uses OEM. I offered my personal thoughts to the owner based on my experience with EL84 amps, and I'd love to get your input as I've never heard or played this amp.

Thanks

daddyelmis ..........

It's actually sort of a good thing that the tubes were destroyed. The Sovtek EL84R tubes make the amp sound a bit constricted and damped.

Use EL-84S tubes in a #5 or #6 rating. Plug and play.

On V1 in this amp I prefer the 12AX7C for an all around tube or the ECC83S for a more agressive amp.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

They say a picture is worth 1000 words ....

I that is the case I have save a few thousand here by just posting the link:

http://www.guitaramplifierblueprinting.com/zpaisley-rx.html

This is a new page on the Dr. Z Prescription "ES" a new Z amp.

Two of these were used 8/6/04 at the Brad Paisley concert.

Photos and some details from the link.

I saw the amps mic'ed at the edge of cabs is this to pick up the wood of the cab?

Originally posted by Big Red 67:

They say a picture is worth 1000 words ....

I that is the case I have save a few thousand here by just posting the link:

http://www.guitaramplifierblueprinting.com/zpaisley-rx.html

This is a new page on the Dr. Z Prescription "ES" a new Z amp.

Two of these were used 8/6/04 at the Brad Paisley concert.

Photos and some details from the link.

I saw the amps mic'ed at the edge of cabs is this to pick up the wood of the cab?

Are you talking about the clips at Z's factory or at the concert?

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Hey, Myles!

I'm finally gonna get around to re-tubing my Carvin Vintage 33 amp. I am going to replace each and every tube in the amp, all at once. I just know that this amp can sound a lot better, I can tell that it wants to be a great little blues and blues-rock amp! Very fat and woody, in spite of its crappy tubes right now...

AND- I'm going to order all Groove Tubes. Probably through a local shop (Ithaca Guitar Works, Ithaca, NY) that's carried GT for years now. Probably next week.

I want premium tubes, too. So whatever GT caries that you think would be the best for my amp, I'd like to know about!

(Options are good, too! I wouldn't mind having some different sets of tubes to swap in and out to tailor the amp for given sounds.)

Please tell me what specifically to order through them, thanks!

Particularly-

http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/icons/icon5.gif You mentioned that you usually use ECC83s in V1 and V2, though some folks prefer the 12AX7C. What are the differences in tone and response? Do you recommend anything else from GT?

http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/icons/icon5.gif I assume that the next two tubes are the reverb send and recovery; what specific tubes do you recommend for those positions? Would a balanced tube for either of the reverb tubes result in a better quality of 'verb?

http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/icons/icon5.gif Just what specific tube should I order for a balanced PI/driver-tube? Should I try more than one type, to swap in and out for different responses/tones?

http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/icons/icon5.gif Do you still recommend the EL84S quartet in a #5 rating? Or are there other EL84 stylees that would sound as good or better in that amp?

Again, give me any and all info to give to the shop that I'll be ordering through, if you would be so kind. Thanks again for your patience and excellent advice all the time! :cool:

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Originally posted by Caevan O'Shite:

Hey, Myles!

I'm finally gonna get around to re-tubing my Carvin Vintage 33 amp. I am going to replace each and every tube in the amp, all at once. I just know that this amp can sound a lot better, I can tell that it wants to be a great little blues and blues-rock amp! Very fat and woody, in spite of its crappy tubes right now...

AND- I'm going to order all Groove Tubes. Probably through a local shop (Ithaca Guitar Works, Ithaca, NY) that's carried GT for years now. Probably next week.

I want premium tubes, too. So whatever GT caries that you think would be the best for my amp, I'd like to know about!

(Options are good, too! I wouldn't mind having some different sets of tubes to swap in and out to tailor the amp for given sounds.)

Please tell me what specifically to order through them, thanks!

Particularly-

http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/icons/icon5.gif You mentioned that you usually use ECC83s in V1 and V2, though some folks prefer the 12AX7C. What are the differences in tone and response? Do you recommend anything else from GT?

http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/icons/icon5.gif I assume that the next two tubes are the reverb send and recovery; what specific tubes do you recommend for those positions? Would a balanced tube for either of the reverb tubes result in a better quality of 'verb?

http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/icons/icon5.gif Just what specific tube should I order for a balanced PI/driver-tube? Should I try more than one type, to swap in and out for different responses/tones?

http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/icons/icon5.gif Do you still recommend the EL84S quartet in a #5 rating? Or are there other EL84 stylees that would sound as good or better in that amp?

Again, give me any and all info to give to the shop that I'll be ordering through, if you would be so kind. Thanks again for your patience and excellent advice all the time! :cool:

I use ECC83S's in V1 and V2 for a more "Brit" sounding amp or 12AX7C's in those spots for a warmer and more linear amp.

The reverb tubes ... if there are no problems I leave them. If there is a noisy reverb use the 12AX7R, a very quiet tube with a long life.

I always use a SAG-AX7-MPI as this is trace matched and not just static matched.

http://www.groovetubes.com/product.cfm?Product_ID=1723

Lots of folks love the MHG kit in these amps. That is a matched phase inverter and two high gain traced ECC83S tubes for V1 and V2 and will be marked on the box as to specific position.

http://www.groovetubes.com/product.cfm?Product_ID=1737

On output tubes I use the EL84S as they are the best sounding and most reliable. I use these in a #5 or #6 rating.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Thanks, Myles! (Quick reply, too!)

One additional question- who's that guy in Ithaca, NY you've mentioned before? I might have some business for him, a few things that are a bit beyond my experience...

Plus I often run into somebody who asks me about their amp troubles, and sometimes I need someone more "expert" to refer them to, locally.

Thanks!

Thanks, Myles! (Quick reply, too!)

One additional question- who's that guy in Ithaca, NY you've mentioned before? I might have some business for him, a few things that are a bit beyond my experience...

Plus I often run into somebody who asks me about their amp troubles, and sometimes I need someone more "expert" to refer them to, locally.

Thanks!

Trace at Voodoo....

His info is on my website in the amp techs section.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

"Mention my name and you may get a break on price, or the phone slammed down on you... it's the luck of the draw."
Uhmmn... care to elaborate on that, Myles? Should I or shouldn't I say that you referred me to them?

:idea:AND- Do you recommend the GT-ECC83S tube for V1 and V2 over the GT-12AX7-M "Mullard" reissue? I thought that the GT-12AX7-M "Mullard" RI was supposed to be the rat's @$$...

I'm not trying to second-guess you here, Myles, I'm just trying to figure out the best tubes for my amp! I sure don't mind the small difference in price if it's worth it sonically...

:idea: Now that I've read-up on the GT 'site, I'm also curious about the GT-7025-Y and the SAG-TT kit!

"Mention my name and you may get a break on price, or the phone slammed down on you... it's the luck of the draw."
Uhmmn... care to elaborate on that, Myles? Should I or shouldn't I say that you referred me to them?

:idea: AND- Do you recommend the GT-ECC83S tube for V1 and V2 over the GT-12AX7-M "Mullard" reissue? I thought that the GT-12AX7-M "Mullard" RI was supposed to be the rat's @$$...

I'm not trying to second-guess you here, Myles, I'm just trying to figure out the best tubes for my amp! I sure don't mind the small difference in price if it's worth it sonically...

:idea: Now that I've read-up on the GT 'site, I'm also curious about the GT-7025-Y and the SAG-TT kit!

It is basically that they are all different and I gave you my personal preference. This boils down to your personal preference.

The ECC83S has a different response than a 12AX7M and in the end it would be like you picking a blue car over a white one for some personal reason.

The specific reason for the TT kit is that many folks love the different chacteristics of the three different tubes in that kit for swapping in and out of V1 depending on what tone they want at the moment.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Thanks, Myles!

Sorry to pump you so much here!

Looking forward to my amp seeming like a whole new amp soon (bought it second-hand, and right off the bat it was evident that the tubes were kinda tired... ).

Hi Myles. I just wanted to ask your opinion on upgrading the output transformer in my Korg Reissue AC30tbx and maybe lowering the filter caps too. I've considered the replacement boards that are offered, but I had been advised that...

You'll get more mojo by replacing the OT & lowering filters to JMI specs
Quite a few AC30 enthusiasts have recommended upgrading the O/T, is there anything unwise or particularly risky about having this done?

Thanks for your help...

Tea. :wave:

Originally posted by Teahead:

Hi Myles. I just wanted to ask your opinion on upgrading the output transformer in my Korg Reissue AC30tbx and maybe lowering the filter caps too. I've considered the replacement boards that are offered, but I had been advised that...

You'll get more mojo by replacing the OT & lowering filters to JMI specs
Quite a few AC30 enthusiasts have recommended upgrading the O/T, is there anything unwise or particularly risky about having this done?

Thanks for your help...

Tea. :wave:

Tea ....

Using a better output transformer is always a big upgrade and there is no risk and this is 100% good.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Dear Myles,

I have just ordered a Gilmore Jr. from Gary Gerhart and am of course very excited about putting it together and plugging it in. I would love to hear your opinions on the following themes.

1. What should I look for in a 6N1P tube? I've observed that GT doesn't offer it and that you say nothing about it in your primers; this should not be taken in any way as a criticism of either you or GT, I realize that this is a fairly obscure tube, I just wanted to let you know that I had looked about a bit.

2. What thoughts do you have, if any, about possible candidates for the 12AX7 pre-amp stage of the Gilmore Jr? I'm playing a lot of jazz including blues and will probably now and then want to turn it up a bit but I have no "crunch until the cows come home" aspirations. I want warm clean tones as well as a good blues distortion. I accept that some of these desires may require outside influences (i.e. pedals) but I thought that I should be thorough in my descriptions.

3. Additionally, I'll be using a single 12" Weber in an open backed cabinet and I'm curious if you have any opinions that you would be interested in sharing about cabinet construction. For example do you have a preference for 1/2" plywood vs. 3/4" for the walls of the cabinet, or the baffle; do you prefer the sound of a bare cabinet or covered with Tolex or carpeted? Finger joints or butt joints? Do you like the baffle to be screwed to battens or dadoed into the walls of the cabinet, and if so on just two or on all four sides? Do you feel that a vestal virgin should be sacrificed before or after the first suspended chord is played through the cabinet?

4. You mentioned in one of your forum responses that it is much better for the capacitors in an amplifier to be "formed" on a variac. I assume this means when one first plugs the amplifier in that the variac should start out with a minimum of voltage passing and should over 30 minutes be gradually brought up to line voltage. How important is this? Should I specifically seek out a variac or ask a tech if he could do this for me?

In summary, please feel free to ignore as many of these questions as you see fit. I realize that your speciality is tubes and it is about the tubes in the Gilmore Jr. that I am most hungry for your input (no pun intended). That said, any other thoughts you might have about Gerhart's amplifiers generally and cabinet construction would be very appreciated. Thank you so very much for your thoughtful consideration.

Sincerely,

Alan Tomlinson

Originally posted by FormerOceanwaySlave:

Dear Myles,

I have just ordered a Gilmore Jr. from Gary Gerhart and am of course very excited about putting it together and plugging it in. I would love to hear your opinions on the following themes.

1. What should I look for in a 6N1P tube? I've observed that GT doesn't offer it and that you say nothing about it in your primers; this should not be taken in any way as a criticism of either you or GT, I realize that this is a fairly obscure tube, I just wanted to let you know that I had looked about a bit.

2. What thoughts do you have, if any, about possible candidates for the 12AX7 pre-amp stage of the Gilmore Jr? I'm playing a lot of jazz including blues and will probably now and then want to turn it up a bit but I have no "crunch until the cows come home" aspirations. I want warm clean tones as well as a good blues distortion. I accept that some of these desires may require outside influences (i.e. pedals) but I thought that I should be thorough in my descriptions.

3. Additionally, I'll be using a single 12" Weber in an open backed cabinet and I'm curious if you have any opinions that you would be interested in sharing about cabinet construction. For example do you have a preference for 1/2" plywood vs. 3/4" for the walls of the cabinet, or the baffle; do you prefer the sound of a bare cabinet or covered with Tolex or carpeted? Finger joints or butt joints? Do you like the baffle to be screwed to battens or dadoed into the walls of the cabinet, and if so on just two or on all four sides? Do you feel that a vestal virgin should be sacrificed before or after the first suspended chord is played through the cabinet?

4. You mentioned in one of your forum responses that it is much better for the capacitors in an amplifier to be "formed" on a variac. I assume this means when one first plugs the amplifier in that the variac should start out with a minimum of voltage passing and should over 30 minutes be gradually brought up to line voltage. How important is this? Should I specifically seek out a variac or ask a tech if he could do this for me?

In summary, please feel free to ignore as many of these questions as you see fit. I realize that your speciality is tubes and it is about the tubes in the Gilmore Jr. that I am most hungry for your input (no pun intended). That said, any other thoughts you might have about Gerhart's amplifiers generally and cabinet construction would be very appreciated. Thank you so very much for your thoughtful consideration.

Sincerely,

Alan Tomlinson

Alan,

I will have to copy and paste here so I can address each issue if I am able.

FormerOceanwaySlave:

[QB]Dear Myles,

......... first off ... Congrats!

For a few years Gary and I would cross paths in this forum. I learned that at the time the two of us were in the same area. We tried to get together at times and eventually Gary came to my place with a Gilmore Jr. The amp just blew me away. It was one of the most cute amps I had ever seen. The workmanship, right down to the covering was just terrific. I played the amp for many hours and really fell in love with the thing. Unfortunately, Gary had somebody with him and this was either the owner of the amp or a dealer that had a buyer for the amp. It was not for sale and there was a waiting list.

In any case I had my camera at home which usually stays at work. The pictures on my website in the amp vendor area are of that particular amp.

........ This was a great tube to pick by Gary. There are tons of NOS ones out there and they are all great. GT does not carry it because it is not a popular tube in the most common amps. The way Gary implemented the output section will give the tube long life by the way but you can pick up a lifetime supply of these at little expense.

......... I would use three different preamp tubes in the amp ...

....a 12AX7C for warm linear blues, jazz, and 60s sort of rock tones ...

........ an 7025 long plate for bright tones and with pedals when the pedals kill too much of the sparkle.

...... and ECC83S for the 80s and harder rock, metal, and agressive tones.

...... Just pop them in and out as needed.

...... I have put these three tube kits together for years for my GAB clients. GT saw me do this so often they actually turned it into a product: http://www.groovetubes.com/product.cfm?Product_ID=1768

.... cab construction has all sorts of areas that can be addressed. I have seen thin built cabs that sound amazing but they have proper baffle board support and the speakers are thru bolted or T nutted rather than self tapping wood screws into the baffle board that are great. I have seen heavy cabs where the construction is awful. Cabs are all over the map.

.... I prefer open back cabs most often but that is personal preference. I prefer the wider dispersion. My most used and favorite cabinet is a Dr. Z Z-Best 2x12 which is ported. It is very efficient and sounds great. I use this cab with just about any amp right down to Univalve with a 6V6 in it and up to a 100 watt Marshall. Many of my Marshall clients have moved away from the 4x12 closed back and to the Z-Best after playing both cabs with their head side by side at some of my amp clinics.

I think a K&K ported 1x12 cab with a Celestion Blue reissue would be the first rig I would try if I had a Gilmore Jr. and I'd go from there.

......... Newer caps do not have as much of an issue as did the older foil and paper caps or the blue LCRs used in older Marshalls. Just borrow a variac and you don't really need 30 minutes ... frankly, just leave the amp in standby and turn on the amp and take a minute or so to bring the power up. I think it is more of not having an initial big surge or shock. I have found the JJ black caps that many folks use today seem to need no forming. You just plug em' in and power em' up and they last forever.

............ I do not know where you live but I will say that if you are anywhere close to So Cal that I would be happy to have you drop by on a weekend with the amp. I'd love to try it through a Z 2x10 open back and compare that to a Mesa 1x12 half back cab. In trade for the test I'd give you the three tubes I mentioned above.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Dear Myles,

Thank you so much for the prompt response and the great information! I very much appreciate the invitation to come by your place to listen to the amp. The offer is quite tempting however as I live in Germany, I will unfortunately have to decline your offer. Drag.

You wrote the following in your response to me, "I think a K&K ported 1x12 cab with a Celestion Blue reissue would be the first rig I would try if I had a Gilmore Jr. and I'd go from there." Where would I find a K&K ported 1x12? I looked on Google and while there are several audio companies using the K&K moniker none of them seemed to be selling cabs. I would settle for builders plans for such a cabinet.

Thank you so much again for your assistance.

Sincerely,

Alan Tomlinson

Originally posted by FormerOceanwaySlave:

Dear Myles,

Thank you so much for the prompt response and the great information! I very much appreciate the invitation to come by your place to listen to the amp. The offer is quite tempting however as I live in Germany, I will unfortunately have to decline your offer. Drag.

You wrote the following in your response to me, "I think a K&K ported 1x12 cab with a Celestion Blue reissue would be the first rig I would try if I had a Gilmore Jr. and I'd go from there." Where would I find a K&K ported 1x12? I looked on Google and while there are several audio companies using the K&K moniker none of them seemed to be selling cabs. I would settle for builders plans for such a cabinet.

Thank you so much again for your assistance.

Sincerely,

Alan Tomlinson

Alan,

I don't know where you would go ... K&K used to make a ton of these cabs in the 80s and I think they were in So. Calif. I don't know if they are even still in business.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr