Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Feel free to ask Myles

myles_rose

Myles......need some advice----I just recently got a 1963 Gibson Atlas IV bass amp, ......described as follows from the Ebay seller....

"A 1963 Gibson Atlas bass amp, a real honest to goodness head and cabinet, NOT a combo. The head uses 2 6L6 output tubes, 2 6EU7 preamp tubes, and a 7 pin 6C4W preamp tube (still available). The output tubes were replaced with a used but good pair of US made 6L6s (Ruby's), and the 6EU7s were rewired to accept 12AX7s. Good audio quality 6EU7s have been very difficult to find, so this is a good move, in my opinion. The 6C4W is a NOS Phillips. Electronically it is in great shape- it has been recapped, a few leaky caps replaced in the tone circuit, bypass caps replaced, checked top to bottom. Transformers are original. The cabinet contains 1 16 ohm 15 CTS speaker, which is original. The head locks onto the cab with 3 little locks, which is actually very cool. The amp sounds great. It sounds as loud or louder than a Bassman head and cab, a little more low end umphh due to the 15, and was putting out around 45 watts at clipping."

It arrived just as described and plays well------just sounds muddy and no character. I play a Strat with TEX MEX pickups.....

I am wanting to get a clean, clear sound to play jazz, blues.......what tubes would anyone recommend? Different 15" speaker?? THX Woody :thu:

Hello Myles,

I'm going to buy a Fender Hot Rod deluxe (play mainly Jazz, Rock'n'Roll). I'm more interested in a good clean sound channel but I think it's a good all round amp. I've got a few questions:

- I'm thinking in buying used and has I'm a total amp newbie to tube amps what can I do to check that everything is ok with the amp when it arrives (tubes are working, speaker is oketc...)

- On the amp description page it says it come with "2x 5881 Tubes". Are this good? If not what would be the suitable upgrade options regarding tubes?

That's all!

Thankx in advance for any help

Okay, we all know that putting a lower impedence speaker load on your amp than what it is rated for (ie, 4 ohm speaker load on an amp rated for 8 ohm) is a good way to blow your amp because the amp runs harder without a proper load.

What about the opposite? If you run a 16 ohm speaker on an amp rated for 8 ohms, is there danger to the amp or just a loss of power?

Inquiring minds want to know.

www.ruleradio.com

"Fame is like death: We will never know what it looks like until we've reached the other side. Then it will be impossible to describe and no one will believe you if you try."

- Sloane Crosley, Village Voice

Originally posted by woody96:

Myles......need some advice----I just recently got a 1963 Gibson Atlas IV bass amp, ......described as follows from the Ebay seller....

"A 1963 Gibson Atlas bass amp, a real honest to goodness head and cabinet, NOT a combo. The head uses 2 6L6 output tubes, 2 6EU7 preamp tubes, and a 7 pin 6C4W preamp tube (still available). The output tubes were replaced with a used but good pair of US made 6L6s (Ruby's), and the 6EU7s were rewired to accept 12AX7s. Good audio quality 6EU7s have been very difficult to find, so this is a good move, in my opinion. The 6C4W is a NOS Phillips. Electronically it is in great shape- it has been recapped, a few leaky caps replaced in the tone circuit, bypass caps replaced, checked top to bottom. Transformers are original. The cabinet contains 1 16 ohm 15 CTS speaker, which is original. The head locks onto the cab with 3 little locks, which is actually very cool. The amp sounds great. It sounds as loud or louder than a Bassman head and cab, a little more low end umphh due to the 15, and was putting out around 45 watts at clipping."

It arrived just as described and plays well------just sounds muddy and no character. I play a Strat with TEX MEX pickups.....

I am wanting to get a clean, clear sound to play jazz, blues.......what tubes would anyone recommend? Different 15" speaker?? THX Woody :thu:

Woody,

wrote you back on this one directly as you sent me an email over at GT.

Myles S. Rose

www.guitaramplifierblueprinting.com

www.la-economy.blogspot.com

www.facebook.com/mylesr

www.twitter.com/myles111us

Originally posted by gcerq:

Hello Myles,

I'm going to buy a Fender Hot Rod deluxe (play mainly Jazz, Rock'n'Roll). I'm more interested in a good clean sound channel but I think it's a good all round amp. I've got a few questions:

- I'm thinking in buying used and has I'm a total amp newbie to tube amps what can I do to check that everything is ok with the amp when it arrives (tubes are working, speaker is oketc...)

- On the amp description page it says it come with "2x 5881 Tubes". Are this good? If not what would be the suitable upgrade options regarding tubes?

That's all!

Thankx in advance for any help

gcerq ........

I think these are great amps. They are roadworthy and versitile.

The stock output tubes are the Sovetk 5881WXT (also known as the Fender 6L6GC at times and the Groove Tubes 6L6B or 6L6R). They are a fair tube sonically, and very sturdy and long lasting. I like other tubes in these amps, biased at about 32mA for most of them. The Svets are nicer to me, and the GEs are nicer still. I also prefer the Chinese 6L6s in the amps, and the Ruby 6L6 is a killer tube in these amps.

If the stock bias has not been changed, and if the amp has the original tubes, you can swap them without bias changing if you follow this scale:

If the tubes are blue printed, then use GT 1-3

If white use GT 4-7

If red use GT 8-10

I also replace the stock V1 and V2 Fender tubes with either 12AX7C or 12AX7R3 tubes, depending on taste. The 12AX7C is warmer and more linear than the R3, and more versitile. In the phase inverter I use an MPI. With these changes, the amp will be even nicer and play more dynamically for the vast majority of folks tastes.

If you want detailed info on all of this, just email me at techsipport@groovetubes.com and ask for my 24 page tube document that goes into all of this in detail. This tells about each tube and it's characteristics, and has a lot of other info. It is free and I will send it back as an email attachment.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by daddyelmis:

Okay, we all know that putting a lower impedence speaker load on your amp than what it is rated for (ie, 4 ohm speaker load on an amp rated for 8 ohm) is a good way to blow your amp because the amp runs harder without a proper load.

What about the opposite? If you run a 16 ohm speaker on an amp rated for 8 ohms, is there danger to the amp or just a loss of power?

Inquiring minds want to know.

daddyelmis ........

In most amps, this is safe, but there will be a change in tone and output.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Hey Myles, Sorry to beat a dead horse but I'm still undecided about my new preamp tubes. As mentioned earlier, I have newer JJ 12ax7's in all preamp positions and I plan on swapping them. I've narrowed my choices down to NOS RFT ECC83's and EH 12ax7's. I have EH's in my Carvin x100b and I've used them in several previous amps which much success. How do the RFT's compare to the EH's overall (tonal characteristics, level of gain etc.)? I'm basically looking for a nice tube to compliment the high gain nature of my Rivera KHII. The lead tone is great, but the rhythm could use a little work IMO. Thanks Again!!!

Hi Myles. Just wanted to let you know that those JAN Phillips tubes you recommended sound great in my '68 Bandmaster. I built a new cab for it to make it a combo with a pair of Jensen P10R's.

I was wondering what you would prefer in current production tubes for a Vox AC30 (new). A friend of mine got a good deal on a floor model, but the tubes are in bad shape.

So Many Drummers. So Little Time...

Originally posted by AmpliFIRE:

Hey Myles, Sorry to beat a dead horse but I'm still undecided about my new preamp tubes. As mentioned earlier, I have newer JJ 12ax7's in all preamp positions and I plan on swapping them. I've narrowed my choices down to NOS RFT ECC83's and EH 12ax7's. I have EH's in my Carvin x100b and I've used them in several previous amps which much success. How do the RFT's compare to the EH's overall (tonal characteristics, level of gain etc.)? I'm basically looking for a nice tube to compliment the high gain nature of my Rivera KHII. The lead tone is great, but the rhythm could use a little work IMO. Thanks Again!!!

AmpliFIRE ..........

Both these tubes are nice, but the RFT's are more consistent from tube to tube by a long way.

It is going to boil down to personal taste, as trying to describe their tonal differences would be very hard. I will say that the RFT will be more linear and more articulate in the high end, and the JJ will have more pushed mids.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by KHAN:

Hi Myles. Just wanted to let you know that those JAN Phillips tubes you recommended sound great in my '68 Bandmaster. I built a new cab for it to make it a combo with a pair of Jensen P10R's.

I was wondering what you would prefer in current production tubes for a Vox AC30 (new). A friend of mine got a good deal on a floor model, but the tubes are in bad shape.

KHAN .....

Glad things worked out well.

AC30s are unique amps in that NOS tubes make a huge difference in these amps, even moreso than in a lot of class A/B amps.

Current EL-84 tubes are okay. They work for the most part, and the best of them are the JJ EL-84. The Sovteks are dark and lifeless, and the Ei are great ... when they work, but are very unreliable.

An AC30 can eat a set of EL-84s in less than 500 hours with ease. That is just the nature of the beast, and the price one pays for their great tone. Just swapping out the old tubes with even 100 hours on them for new ones, will show a pretty big difference.

The best tubes in the world in these are actually 7189s. They are an EL-84 variant, but are good to 400 plate volt specs, rather than the 300 volt spec of the EL84/6BQ5. They will last a lot longer, and sound great. Unfortunately, they are pricy. Over at www.kcanostubes.com they have some:

7189A

NOS RCA 7189A-------------------------------------------------------$ 100 Per matched pair

2nd choice from KCA would be their:

NOS Sylvania 6BQ5/EL84s---------------------------------------------$ 85 Per matched pair

A few pairs of grey plates and black plates. The grey plates are identical to the JAN Philips tubes above (Philips bought the Sylvania company and continued with the same designs, factories and production equipment) except from the '60s and '70s. The blackplate version are earlier production.

or their NOS GE 6BQ5/EL84----------------------------------------------------$ 80 Per Matched pair

Excellent in your Blues Jr., Matchless, Marshall 18 watt, Vox AC-30, AC-15 or Dr. Z amp.

Only a few pairs remaining in stock overprinted and boxed as Ruby Tubes.

Sweet sounding in guitar and audiophile amps. Some in original GE boxes, some labeled and boxed as Admiral.

3rd choice would be:

NOS JAN Philips ECG (Emporium PA)-------------------------------$ Sold Out

Supply is running out on these with no known source for future replacement.

Excellent in your Blues Jr., Marshall 18 watt, Matchless, Vox AC-30, AC-15 or Dr. Z amp.

"Better than Mullards in my Marshall Mini Blues Breaker". Max Marinucci.

On preamp tubes, use a very good ECC83 in V1 and V2.

Some of the stuff they have at KCA that would be great are:

NOS RCA 12AX7/As--------------------------------------------------------$ 50

NOS Brimar 12AX7/CV4004s----------------------------------------------$ 60 Each

Excellent tone and extremely low in microphonics. I love these in my early '70s Marshall 50 watt head. Great choice for vintage and vintage style guitar amps and audiophile equipment. Very similar in tone to the Mullard CV4004s but MUCH lower in microphonics.

Limited supply. Commercial, military and white boxes. Balanced triodes (good for phase inverter tubes) are $65.

NOS Tesla (NOT JJ!) ECC803s-------------------------------------------$ 35 Each

Very cool and unusual to find these. They're from the '60s or '70s, prior to the whacky "frame grid" design like the JJ ECC83s of today.

These have long ribbed plates and super durable internal supports resulting in the lowest possible microphonics. Excellent tone and gain unlike the JJs which are dark and wimpy by comparison. Once I'm done hoarding my lifetime supply there won't be many left.

......... the stuff above is off the KCA website.

Hope this helped.

Oh yes, use a balanced phase inverter.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Myles,

I'm trying to decide between a GT Soul-o Single and a THD Univalve. The question is, can you get a Marshall "plexi" type sound on the Single with EL34s installed? How drastic is the change with new power tubes? I would like a versatile, quiet amp that covers Fender and Marshall sounds. Thanks for your help, -jl

Originally posted by synthetic:

Myles,

I'm trying to decide between a GT Soul-o Single and a THD Univalve. The question is, can you get a Marshall "plexi" type sound on the Single with EL34s installed? How drastic is the change with new power tubes? I would like a versatile, quiet amp that covers Fender and Marshall sounds. Thanks for your help, -jl

synthetic..........

This is a hard question actually.

Either of the amps are great, and they are different. Either one has very big differences in tone when changing tubes, and to change tubes in either of them takes about 5 seconds.

They do sound different, and have different features. If you are looking for a combo, the then GT Single comes in that format also.

They are so different, and their feature set is so different, that in my case, I have one of each. They two are as different as a Fender Tweed Deluxe versus a Black Face Deluxe Reverb. Actually, the UV and Single are even more different.

This is going to boil down to personal choice and preference.

I see you are at Tascam. If that is the Tascam in so cal, then if you ever want to drive up to L.A. on a weekend, and try both of the amps at my house, side by side with the same tubes and the same cabinet, I'd be happy to do that. Just give me a few days advance notice, as Ludovic Pierson is currently using one of the two amps on a recording project.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

What would be your recommendation for a low watt (15 to 30) tube amp, preferrably with a 12" speaker, for in-home/recording use. I'm looking for a sweet, pure, warm sound with some natural overdrive ability for blues and blues/rock (I'm not a high gain fanatic). I'm considering Matchless, Tone King, Hughes and Kettner, Fender, but am open to other suggestions. Thanks.

Originally posted by WaterMan:

What would be your recommendation for a low watt (15 to 30) tube amp, preferrably with a 12" speaker, for in-home/recording use. I'm looking for a sweet, pure, warm sound with some natural overdrive ability for blues and blues/rock (I'm not a high gain fanatic). I'm considering Matchless, Tone King, Hughes and Kettner, Fender, but am open to other suggestions. Thanks.

Waterman ........

Very hard question ..... lots of great amps. This reminds me of an earlier post at one time on this forum. I saved the reply from me and have it on my website, but to save time:

This was in response to a forum question where somebody was asking which of two amps was "better"

Hmmmmm....

Bogner or Soldano? Which is better?

Can I ask a question to help answer the question ....

You are walking down the street on a nice day. You are a single male, open to a night out with female company if the situation presents itself. As you walk down the street, coming right toward you are two girls.

One is 5'8", blonde hair, green eyes, and drop dead gorgeous.

The other is 5'4" brunette, blue eyes, and equally as much of a knockout.

As they both approach and get close enough to speak, one of them gives you a big smile and starts the opening of conversation, and starts to flirt with you in a nice way.

Do you really care at this point which one of them it was?

Just like girls .... or guys (if you're female) ... or actually girls and girls or guys and guys or .... Its a matter of what you are open to at the time and what appeals to you. Both the girls in this case are terrific, and I think both your amp examples are terrific too... its a matter of taste and timing .... how much cash do you have in your pocket when you walk into the store and one of those amps is on the floor.

The bottom line, this is really subjective.

Some amps I'd pick for my personal style and taste are:

Fender Deluxe Reverb

Fender tweed deluxe (Victoria)

Dr. Z MAZ JR

Victoria 35210 or Victoriette or Victorilux

Matchless or Bad Cat dual EL-84 based amps.

Carr Mercury

............... in the lower price ranges (although the Dr. Z amps are in a low price range and I don't know how he does it at his prices, so I have them in the high end list above)

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Fender Deluxe Reverb reissue

Any Fender Priceton off ebay.

In any case, maybe you should post this as it's own post in here, asking this question, as there are a lot of great folks here that would give you a lot of great feedback. Most of them can play rings around me, and have more diverse tastes and are less stuck in their past such as me :)

Good luck.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Hi Myles,

In general, is it harder on the power amp tubes to run the master volume full out when the pre-amp volume is turned down?

For example: I can get about the same amp volume with the preamp on 3 and master on 11 as when I run the preamp on 5 and the master on 7. The main difference is better clean headroom on the former (which I want). But, am I shortening the life of my power amp tubes doing this?

Specifically, I'm using EL-84s for the power amp.

Thanks!

Bird Lives

Originally posted by Altered Fifth:

Hi Myles,

In general, is it harder on the power amp tubes to run the master volume full out when the pre-amp volume is turned down?

For example: I can get about the same amp volume with the preamp on 3 and master on 11 as when I run the preamp on 5 and the master on 7. The main difference is better clean headroom on the former (which I want). But, am I shortening the life of my power amp tubes doing this?

Specifically, I'm using EL-84s for the power amp.

Thanks!

Altered Fifth..........

It is no harder on the output tubes, as your preamp volume will be lower for the same output level. A tube dissapating 20 watts does so whether the signal is clean or dirty.

Now, on class A amps, the power tubes are wearing much faster, as even when the volume is all the way down, or the guitar even not playing, the tubes are still running at close to, or at 100% output. This is the case with most EL-84 based amps, with one exception being one generation of the Fender Tremolux where they used EL-84s in class A/B for a very short run.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Hi Myles,

After my last message the amp developed a new problem - the (volume) kept cutting out, then returning, slowly fading out and then coming back, etc.........

I gave the tech a call + took the amp to him. Seems ok now, but i've only had it back a day. The clean channels much better. Do you have any idea what could have been causing this? (the volume droppping in and out)

Anyhow, while I was there I asked an assistant (not the tech - he'd gone) about dropping the bias so there's less current draw at idle and he said I'd need to give him a figure for the bias as it will mean changing components, not just a case of turning a dial. Could you please clarify for me - apologies for any ignorance!!

Thanks very much again Myles - Look forward to your reply.

JonObi

Hi Myles,

It's been a long time but I finally got my Marshall JCM900 (4100) sorted. Re-tubed with Groove Tubes:

- 12AX7R3

- 12AX7C9 (in v1)

- GTECC83S

- A matched quartet of GTE34LS

Took around 6 months to get it all sorted - the tech initially did the work but the amp kept cutting out. So I took it back + he said it needed a new Proforma from Marshall (who took ages in supplying it) - I'll be finding somewhere else to have any work done in the future.

Anyway, and more imporantly, the amp sounds great. I have more gain, which is also less 'harsh' sounding, and the clean sound gives me more headroom and, again, a warmer sound at volume.

So thanks again Myles for all the helpful advice.

Cheers

JonObi

"I never want to be lukewarm again".

Originally posted by JonObi:

Hi Myles,

After my last message the amp developed a new problem - the (volume) kept cutting out, then returning, slowly fading out and then coming back, etc.........

I gave the tech a call + took the amp to him. Seems ok now, but i've only had it back a day. The clean channels much better. Do you have any idea what could have been causing this? (the volume droppping in and out)

Anyhow, while I was there I asked an assistant (not the tech - he'd gone) about dropping the bias so there's less current draw at idle and he said I'd need to give him a figure for the bias as it will mean changing components, not just a case of turning a dial. Could you please clarify for me - apologies for any ignorance!!

Thanks very much again Myles - Look forward to your reply.

JonObi

Hi Myles,

It's been a long time but I finally got my Marshall JCM900 (4100) sorted. Re-tubed with Groove Tubes:

- 12AX7R3

- 12AX7C9 (in v1)

- GTECC83S

- A matched quartet of GTE34LS

Took around 6 months to get it all sorted - the tech initially did the work but the amp kept cutting out. So I took it back + he said it needed a new Proforma from Marshall (who took ages in supplying it) - I'll be finding somewhere else to have any work done in the future.

Anyway, and more imporantly, the amp sounds great. I have more gain, which is also less 'harsh' sounding, and the clean sound gives me more headroom and, again, a warmer sound at volume.

So thanks again Myles for all the helpful advice.

Cheers

JonObi

I am glad things finally worked out.

Many folks miss the point that running the bias lower so the tubes idle higher, has it's down side too .... the B+ drops and all the voltages in the amp drop.

The call by the tech of lowering the idle via the bias was a good call.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by Altered Fifth:

Hi Myles,

Thanks for the advice. I've learned more about tubes and amps in the few months I've been reading your "column" and web site than in all the other 30+ years I've been playing guitar!

Altered Fifth........

Thanks for the compliments. It sounds like you are about my age if you have playing 30 years :)

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Hey Myles I was reading this about Mesa Dual Rectifiers on eurotubes have you ever done this? Does it make sense?

www.eurotubes.com/euro-n.htm

When a DR customer calls me and is looking for an improvement in his clean tone and an improvement in dynamics I will often recommend using the JJ 6L6GC's in a cooler grade and running in the "EL34" mode which will get a DR to draw about 32 to 40mA per tube depending on whether it's run is SS, REC, Bold or Spongy. This gets the bias much closer to where it actually belongs when using a cooler grade of 6L6.

-- Support Independent Music --

www.randallflagg.com

Hi,

I get a high-pitched squeal with my guitar amp when I remove the instrument cable from the input jack. There is no squealing when the cable is plugged in. I was thinking it's a jack problem or a microphonic tube. I am quite ignorant when it comes to tube amps. Can you explain the symptoms/sounds of a tube that is microphonic?

I would like a tube replacement recommendation for my practice amp. I have a Fender super 60, which has 2 6L6GC's, 2 12AX7A's and a 12AT7. I play rock and metal mostly, but sometimes jazz and blues. I love high gain (mine is on 10) and lots of harmonics. I am a full-time student, so price is important to me. Thank you in advance for your time and response! :)

-PCB-

Mr. Myles...

Hey, just wondering if there's any software available that will allow people posting on a board such as this to be able to post chord charts, tablature, and standard notation (without being too cost-prohibitive). ????

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Hi Myles, I'm considering getting a pair of yellow jackets for my Fender hot rod DeVille two by twelve combo. What differences should I expect to hear? I'm using two Phillips WGB 6L6's in the power stage and run it through a THD Hotplate to soak up excess volume. Will I reduce the overall volume with this proposed change? Or will it simply be a change in tone?

I hope to buy new tubes for the yellow jackets too, can you recommend any replacements?

Thanks in advance for any light you may be able to shed on this.

Originally posted by rsf1977:

Hey Myles I was reading this about Mesa Dual Rectifiers on eurotubes have you ever done this? Does it make sense?

www.eurotubes.com/euro-n.htm

When a DR customer calls me and is looking for an improvement in his clean tone and an improvement in dynamics I will often recommend using the JJ 6L6GC's in a cooler grade and running in the "EL34" mode which will get a DR to draw about 32 to 40mA per tube depending on whether it's run is SS, REC, Bold or Spongy. This gets the bias much closer to where it actually belongs when using a cooler grade of 6L6.

rsf1977.........

Bob Pletka at Eurotubes is 100% correct. Mesa amps are over biased generally and run very cold. This makes them sound grainy, and they are vastly improved getting the idle dissapation over the typical 38-40% or less, that is stock.

Be sure to check the bias though (even though it is fixed) unless Bob sends you a set of his tubes that he picks and grades for this.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by pcb:

Hi,

I get a high-pitched squeal with my guitar amp when I remove the instrument cable from the input jack. There is no squealing when the cable is plugged in. I was thinking it's a jack problem or a microphonic tube. I am quite ignorant when it comes to tube amps. Can you explain the symptoms/sounds of a tube that is microphonic?

I would like a tube replacement recommendation for my practice amp. I have a Fender super 60, which has 2 6L6GC's, 2 12AX7A's and a 12AT7. I play rock and metal mostly, but sometimes jazz and blues. I love high gain (mine is on 10) and lots of harmonics. I am a full-time student, so price is important to me. Thank you in advance for your time and response! :)

pcb ........

If you read my tube primer, it will answer a lot of these questions.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by Tedster:

Mr. Myles...

Hey, just wondering if there's any software available that will allow people posting on a board such as this to be able to post chord charts, tablature, and standard notation (without being too cost-prohibitive). ????

Tedster........

I don't know the answer to that one.

Perhaps make a unique post asking this.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by Teahead:

Hi Myles, I'm considering getting a pair of yellow jackets for my Fender hot rod DeVille two by twelve combo. What differences should I expect to hear? I'm using two Phillips WGB 6L6's in the power stage and run it through a THD Hotplate to soak up excess volume. Will I reduce the overall volume with this proposed change? Or will it simply be a change in tone?

I hope to buy new tubes for the yellow jackets too, can you recommend any replacements?

Thanks in advance for any light you may be able to shed on this.

Teahead.........

Yellow Jackets work great in your amp. It will distort at a much lower volume level, but will also be a class A amp when they are installed, and have the touch and feel of a cathode biased amp. The JJ EL84 that comes in the yellow jacket is a great tube, actually the best of the current made EL84 offerings.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Myles,

I am considering using 3 10-inch speakers with my '65 Bandmaster. The amp is rated for a 4-ohm load. I've read that these older Fenders are designed to handle a 50% impedance load variation in either direction. Is this true? The Speaker and Extension Speaker jacks are wired in parallel which leads me to believe this but I thought I'd check with you first. If I use 3 8-ohm speakers in parallel, I'd get a total load of 2.67 ohms. I realize that this will tax the power tubes but is there any risk to the output transformer? What is your recommendation for a 3x10 speaker setup? 2 16-ohms and a 8-ohm will give me a total load of 4 but I'd like to keep the speakers matched if I can.

Thanks,

Paul