Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Feel free to ask Myles

myles_rose

Hi Myles - and many thanks for your advice - I've ordered some 6l6wgb's.

I'm thinking of replacing the Phase Inverter tube also - I believe a balanced tube 12at7 or 12ax7 is best in this position. I presume that a 12ax7 would cause the output tubes to break up earlier than the 12at7? Would using a 12ax7 affect the volume also?

Hi Myles - and many thanks for your advice - I've ordered some 6l6wgb's.

I'm thinking of replacing the Phase Inverter tube also - I believe a balanced tube 12at7 or 12ax7 is best in this position. I presume that a 12ax7 would cause the output tubes to break up earlier than the 12at7? Would using a 12ax7 affect the volume also?

I do not recall what amp you have. But .... a 12AX7 in an amp that came stock with a 12AT7 will break faster in the output section and be a bit more agressive. The overall volume will not be changed much if noticible at all depending on the amp type.

Myles S. Rose

www.guitaramplifierblueprinting.com

www.la-economy.blogspot.com

www.facebook.com/mylesr

www.twitter.com/myles111us

Hi Myles,

Why do pedal makers supply their pedals with heavy duty batteries, instead of alkaline ones?

Thanks

Primarily cost

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Thanks Myles. Being a old guy, I thought it might be a throw back to the old days when we wanted the battery to die!

I am probably older than you :)

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Myles,

I have an early 80's Fender Deluxe Reverb. It has fairly new tubes and biased with a Jensen speaker. It has a good sound but, I would like to know if it is possible to get more bottom end out of this amp with a different speaker or some new caps. A tech suggested that I re-cap my power supply. Any suggestions. Thanks.

Myles,

I have an early 80's Fender Deluxe Reverb. It has fairly new tubes and biased with a Jensen speaker. It has a good sound but, I would like to know if it is possible to get more bottom end out of this amp with a different speaker or some new caps. A tech suggested that I re-cap my power supply. Any suggestions. Thanks.

Unless you have hum, you do not need to recap your power supply. You can modify the basic EQ bu changing a few inexpensive cap values and/or use a different speaker. The Celestion V30 works great in your amp from my own point of view.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Hey, Myles!

I'm trying to help a friend get his ailing old Laney amp up to snuff for gigging, replacing microphonic tubes, cleaning pots, retensioning socket-contacts and all...

What tubes would you recommend for a (50 watt, 2xEL34) Laney AOR Lead 50 head (and Marshall 4x12 staright cab), for ballsy and agressive, powerful yet smooth Black Sabath/Sex Pistols tones without too much fizziness?

And still being able to footswitch to a good, strong clean tone with that amp's channel-switching? (A slight roll-back of the guitar's volume-knob is acceptable if needed here.)

He plays in a loud hard rock/punk/metal band.

Thanks for your time!

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Hey, Myles!

I'm trying to help a friend get his ailing old Laney amp up to snuff for gigging, replacing microphonic tubes, cleaning pots, retensioning socket-contacts and all...

What tubes would you recommend for a (50 watt, 2xEL34) Laney AOR Lead 50 head (and Marshall 4x12 staright cab), for ballsy and agressive, powerful yet smooth Black Sabath/Sex Pistols tones without too much fizziness?

And still being able to footswitch to a good, strong clean tone with that amp's channel-switching? (A slight roll-back of the guitar's volume-knob is acceptable if needed here.)

He plays in a loud hard rock/punk/metal band.

Thanks for your time!

These ....

http://www.dougstubes.com/images/sedel34.jpg

From this guy ... http://www.dougstubes.com/el34.htm and you want the winged C real one; SED .... not the Svetlana named brand that are not the same.

or .... if you have the money ...

http://www.kcanostubes.com/pictures/195c/NOS-%27Siemens%27-EL34-Matched-Pair-Quartet.jpg

from .... http://www.kcanostubes.com/products/195/NOS-Siemens-EL34-Matched-Pair-Quartet.htm

and Mike at KCA also has the winged C .... http://www.kcanostubes.com/products/193/SED-Winged-C-EL34-Matched-Pair-Quartet.htm

In the end, all of these sound spectacular and are also smoother than a JJ E34L or GT LS and are stronger and will last much longer than any other current production tubes when compared to the Siemens NOS offering.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Thanks, Myles!

How about all of the preamp and MPI tubes for that Laney, for the "ballsy, agressive, powerful, smooth Black Sabath/Sex Pistols tones without too much fizziness"- what would you recommend for those?

(I've got him temporarily hooked-up to get by the microphonic troubles he had by putting in a few preamp-tubes from my used and pulls stash, but he really needs all new tubes.)

Thanks, Myles!

How about all of the preamp and MPI tubes for that Laney, for the "ballsy, agressive, powerful, smooth Black Sabath/Sex Pistols tones without too much fizziness"- what would you recommend for those?

(I've got him temporarily hooked-up to get by the microphonic troubles he had by putting in a few preamp-tubes from my used and pulls stash, but he really needs all new tubes.)

This cannot be answered in an email or phone call. At this point, this is what blueprinting is all about as there are too many factors; his guitar and more than anything his ability and technique as a player. I can play Carl Verheyen's rig all day and never sound like Carl at all. Right hand technique has a lot to do with things too and a great player can cop those tones with the wrong guitar and amp and a player less skilled with the right equipment will never be able to master those tones or anybody elses tone just by equipment selection or tube selection.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Hi Myles,

I've now installed some Philips 6L6WGB output tubes in my Hot Rod Deluxe but Im having a problem biasing them - 80mA is the lowest they will bias? Is there anything I can do to rectify this - the amp sounds fine but I'm concerned that it may be running too hot?

Thanks

Hi Myles,

I've now installed some Philips 6L6WGB output tubes in my Hot Rod Deluxe but Im having a problem biasing them - 80mA is the lowest they will bias? Is there anything I can do to rectify this - the amp sounds fine but I'm concerned that it may be running too hot?

Thanks

You have a very hot (strong) set of tubes. That is 40mA each and a bit hot but should still work fairly well.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Hello, Myles, just wondering:

6L6's + KT66's: are they entirely swappable or does it depend on the amp's circuit. I know some amps simply don't have the space for KT66's. Are there other issues?

Also, is there a place in the preamp I should avoid putting that JJ803S? Thanks

"Without music, life would be a mistake."

--from 'Beyond Good and Evil', by Friedrich Nietzsche

My MySpace Space

Hi Myles, i've never asked you anything before but i was directed to you by Caevan.

If you have time could you possibly give your 2 cents on the questions i have in this thread?

https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/2003831/page/1/gonew/1#UNREAD

What is the basic question?

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

6L6's + KT66's: are they entirely swappable or does it depend on the amp's circuit. I know some amps simply don't have the space for KT66's. Are there other issues?

The KT66 is about 10mA higher in output (if it is a proper KT66) than a spec 6L6. You can use them in just about any 6L6 amp, just rebias.

The JJ 803S can be used in any 12AX7 spot with no worries. It is a long plate tube and I like it a lot in phase inverter positions. 65amps uses that tube a lot in first gain / tone stage positions. In the end it is personal taste and preference.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Hey myles, I posted a thread on this but i thought i would buzz you to make sure. i have a boss me20 multi efx pedal. can i put more stomp boxes on that pedal, acting like its a regular stomp? b/c i want to switch to individual pedals but i can't do it all at once(due to $).

I have not used that unit so I do not know.

Sorry.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

ok, well basically, i have recently bought a fender twin with 8 ohm speakers (not sure how they are wired). i want to use it with my marshall cabinet which originally had 4 x 16ohm speakers in it. i replaced these 16ohm speakers with 8ohm speakers a while ago and have been using it with a marshall super lead head.

the problem is that i'm not sure if i wired the speakers correctly. i've heard that the way i wired them makes it a 2ohm cabinet. i am trying to make it an 8ohm cabinet.

this is a rough diagram of how i wired it:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y151/xandapanda/cabinet.jpg

after being told that this would make it 2ohms, it has been suggested that i wire it this way instead in order to make it 8ohms:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y151/xandapanda/cab2-1.jpg

bear in mind that it is a marshall cabinet and on the back of it, has a mono/stereo switch between the 2 jacks, so it's not as straight forward as a single input cabinet.

so my basic question is: how should i wire it to make it an 8 ohm cabinet?

also, the twin says "total load 4 ohms" on the back. i want to use the cabinet together with the 8ohm speakers in the twin. is there any way i can do this with the speaker configuration i have at the moment?

The KT66 is about 10mA higher in output (if it is a proper KT66) than a spec 6L6. You can use them in just about any 6L6 amp, just rebias.

The JJ 803S can be used in any 12AX7 spot with no worries. It is a long plate tube and I like it a lot in phase inverter positions. 65amps uses that tube a lot in first gain / tone stage positions. In the end it is personal taste and preference.

Thanks a gazillion!

"Without music, life would be a mistake."

--from 'Beyond Good and Evil', by Friedrich Nietzsche

My MySpace Space

Thanks a gazillion!

You are more than welcome.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

The best EL84 made today from my experience is the JJ. It is the most relible, has the best output, the smoothest curve traces, is right on design spec and has the longest life.

It's tone is right up there with NOS Telsas or many other vintage tubes.

Myles- is the GTEL84S quartet that I got from you and GT a while back the same thing as these JJs, tested and rated and branded as GT?

Or are these JJ EL84's something new that came out since then?

If not the same, what are the GTEL84S equivalent to (more or less) under other brands and names?

The best EL84 made today from my experience is the JJ. It is the most relible, has the best output, the smoothest curve traces, is right on design spec and has the longest life.

Myles- is the GTEL84S quartet that I got from you and GT a while back the same thing as these JJs, tested and rated and branded as GT?

If not the same, what are the GTEL84S equivalent to (more or less) under other brands and names?

The GT-EL84S and JJ EL84 are the exact same tube only tested in a different manner when they came from GT. I have other vendors I use that test just as well as GT ever tested things. If you got the tube through me at GT then I also did some additional testing on them and trace matched them.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr