Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Feel free to ask Myles

myles_rose

Originally posted by Chipotle:

Myles, have you had a chance to hear the new Celestion G12 Century Vintage? I haven't heard much about this speaker.

Thanks.

Chipotle..........

Sorry ... have not gotten to that one yet.

Myles S. Rose

www.guitaramplifierblueprinting.com

www.la-economy.blogspot.com

www.facebook.com/mylesr

www.twitter.com/myles111us

O.K. so since I'm a newbie I guess I should bow to the mighty Myles...Seriously though, there is some impressive info on your site and I found that info on the Z stuff helpful with my KT-45...now for the question...the rep from TopHat called me and wants to send me an amp to try and if I like it he'll make me a "good deal."..Guess he's trying to sell some amps...Of course I agreed cause I if I don't like it I just mail it back to him...He's sending me one of the King Royales(head only)...wanted your thoughts on the thing...anything you know would be appreciated...thanks
"If you put a hungry ferret in your trousers, he'll run around. You'd be amazed at the energy."-Nigel Tuffnel

Originally posted by Derwreck12:

O.K. so since I'm a newbie I guess I should bow to the mighty Myles...Seriously though, there is some impressive info on your site and I found that info on the Z stuff helpful with my KT-45...now for the question...the rep from TopHat called me and wants to send me an amp to try and if I like it he'll make me a "good deal."..Guess he's trying to sell some amps...Of course I agreed cause I if I don't like it I just mail it back to him...He's sending me one of the King Royales(head only)...wanted your thoughts on the thing...anything you know would be appreciated...thanks

Bottom line .... these are very nice amps.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Hello Myles,

what tubes do you recommend for a soldano lucky 13 head for playing metal . Currently it has a sovtek 12ax7lps in the v1 position and 12ax7lp in the v2- v6 and 4 sovtek 5881 power tubes .

Thanks for your time

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by Seegs:

I just saw this after I started a thread.

Basically I want to know what does it mean when your power tubes start glowing blue?

Should I be concerned as they only have around ten hours on them? They are new GT 5881 NOS's

Seegs

Blue is fine and normal in many tubes.

The swirling purpleish gas is not fine.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by MetalMike:

Hello Myles,

what tubes do you recommend for a soldano lucky 13 head for playing metal . Currently it has a sovtek 12ax7lps in the v1 position and 12ax7lp in the v2- v6 and 4 sovtek 5881 power tubes .

Thanks for your time

I personally prefer 12AX7C in V1 and V2 and KT66HP in a #5 rating for the output tubes. Then again, that is personal preference.

Tube choice and selection is very much personal

taste and preference. You can find a document that

will go into this in great detail, and give you

information on tube types, characteristics, and also

on the rating system used by GT, conversion from

Mesa to GT and Fender to GT tables, matching information

and more.

http://www.guitaramplifierblueprinting.com is the

website, and the document is the Tube Primer, v1.31

which has a link and button for download or viewing.

V1.31 is 47 pages and not too bad to download.

v3.20 is in two sections and about 200 total pages

total, if you want a LOT of info.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

FROM THE "FRIENDS" PORTION OF MYLES' WEBSITE:

"Tom has what may be the best sounding 5150 II around. He plays in the style of Van Halen with a few twists of his own. If you have a 5150 and want a few tips (even the folks at Peavey think his amps are some of the best examples of what these amps can do), drop me an email and I will forward it off to Tom."

Myles, I would love to get some tips on maximizing the capabilities of my 5150 (I am already going to test drive a Dr. Z attenuator this weekend). I have an early-nineties 5150 (not II) half-stack. Thanks for always being so helpful,

Sean

Originally posted by shood:

FROM THE "FRIENDS" PORTION OF MYLES' WEBSITE:

"Tom has what may be the best sounding 5150 II around. He plays in the style of Van Halen with a few twists of his own. If you have a 5150 and want a few tips (even the folks at Peavey think his amps are some of the best examples of what these amps can do), drop me an email and I will forward it off to Tom."

Myles, I would love to get some tips on maximizing the capabilities of my 5150 (I am already going to test drive a Dr. Z attenuator this weekend). I have an early-nineties 5150 (not II) half-stack. Thanks for always being so helpful,

Sean

Sean,

Shoot me an email over to GT techsupport@groovetubes.com and ask me something about 5150s to remind me of what you were asking, and I will send you Tommy's email and hook the two of you up.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Myles -

Hi. About a year ago you gave me some recommendations for my Ampeg Reverberocket reissue (R212R). I went with some of your recommendations and the amp sounds very good. This is the best sounding $400 amp out there :) . I was wondering if you could give me some updated recommendations for tubes. The amp has 3 preamp tubes and 2 6L6 power tubes. Thanks.

Dennis

Hello, Myles.

I have 2 questions for you:

I have a Mesa Maverick 4x10 with all of the original tubes. The sound is starting to fluctuate--volume-wise. I'm assuming this could be a failing tube? I've had this amp for about 22 months now (original tubes).

(1)Should I replace all of the preamp, power & rectifier tubes now?

I have always paid someone to change the tubes in any of my other amps in the past. I am not confident in my own abilities to change out tubes, since I've never done so before.

(2) Would it be wise to pay someone to replace the tubes for me again? I will most likely order the tubes directly from Mesa.

Thanks, in advance, for your valuable help!

Originally posted by sgguitarzz:

Myles -

Hi. About a year ago you gave me some recommendations for my Ampeg Reverberocket reissue (R212R). I went with some of your recommendations and the amp sounds very good. This is the best sounding $400 amp out there :) . I was wondering if you could give me some updated recommendations for tubes. The amp has 3 preamp tubes and 2 6L6 power tubes. Thanks.

Dennis

sgguitarzz...........

Download the latest version of my tube primer off my website.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by meek20:

Hello, Myles.

I have 2 questions for you:

I have a Mesa Maverick 4x10 with all of the original tubes. The sound is starting to fluctuate--volume-wise. I'm assuming this could be a failing tube? I've had this amp for about 22 months now (original tubes).

(1)Should I replace all of the preamp, power & rectifier tubes now?

I have always paid someone to change the tubes in any of my other amps in the past. I am not confident in my own abilities to change out tubes, since I've never done so before.

(2) Would it be wise to pay someone to replace the tubes for me again? I will most likely order the tubes directly from Mesa.

Thanks, in advance, for your valuable help!

This is WAY overdue for an output tube replacement set.

Use EL84S #4-6 and a new phase inverter.

Rectifer and preamp tubes are fine if the amp is working.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Myles reminds me of the famous Louis Armstrong quote: "Remember to send the elevator back down when you reach the top." Thanks for the forum and input Myles. Any relation to Axel? :)

I sent an email to you Myles, re: lyrics. Did you recieve it? :idea:

If you don't wanna be nibbled, don't play with the bunny.

God created Eve and me, not Steve and me. - Adam

Hi Miles.

My Pignose G60VR died in the middle of a performance over the weekend. This is a 60 watt all tube (2 - 6l6's and 3 - 12ax7's with one more 12ax7 for the reverb) combo.

I thought that perhaps I had a tube go down, but after doing a complete tube changeout, no success.

Here are the symptoms:

The amp powers up fine when cold. As it warms up, I get the normal background hum. The master volume and gain work fine (the hum increases). As soon as a send the amp a signal (a note from the guitar), it goes dead. No background hum. I power the amp down, let it cool off, and it powers up fine until I send a signal again.

Any idea what I'm up against?

"It's better to wear out than to rust out!"

myles

i just purchased my first tube amp

can you reccomend a good book

for learning maintenance, diagnosis/repair,

upgrades (retubing/biasing) etc

i have no electronics experience

i'm not so much interested in theory

as practical hands on instruction

thank you

happy playn

dr

have fun now!

whatever the mind of man can concieve & believe it can achieve!

study it as a science/practice it as an art!

luck...that's what happens when preparation & opportunity intersect

properly percieved every situation becomes an opportunity

Originally posted by daddy ray:

myles

i just purchased my first tube amp

can you reccomend a good book

for learning maintenance, diagnosis/repair,

upgrades (retubing/biasing) etc

i have no electronics experience

i'm not so much interested in theory

as practical hands on instruction

thank you

happy playn

dr

DR....

There are a lot of great books out there. It may be sort of spammy, but I feel the one that has a lot of my own articles in it, the book where I was the technical consultant, is the best :)

http://www.groovetubes.com/product.cfm?Product_ID=2065

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

thanks for your quick reply

dr

have fun now!

whatever the mind of man can concieve & believe it can achieve!

study it as a science/practice it as an art!

luck...that's what happens when preparation & opportunity intersect

properly percieved every situation becomes an opportunity

Myles,

Finally got my PRS Hollowbody II; it's absolutely fantastic. The combination of the pickups and Baggs piezo is stunning, especially when run thru two different systems. The piezo, however, does not sound as good thru my guitar amps as it does thru my powered monitors (as expected).

What are your recommendations for an acoustic guitar amp for the piezo? Also, when recording the piezo direct, do you recommend any type of box/pre-amp/etc. between the guitar and the input to enhance the piezo sound?

Thanks.

Hey Miles,

I was practicing on how to solo with the different modes with my teacher and he played some awsome riffs that went with the different modes very well. He said that they are chord clusters. I was wondering if you could give me an idea on what they are and where I could find a reference on some basic chord clusters that go with each of the different modes. (i.e. ionian...)

Free exercise of the intellect exists no longer, the youth is poisened by systematic lies. The pseudo-success of political adventurers has dazzled the rest of the world; this generation lacks the strength and force which enabled previous generations to win, in painful struggle and at great sacrifice, the political and individual freedom of man.

Originally posted by WaterMan:

Myles,

Finally got my PRS Hollowbody II; it's absolutely fantastic. The combination of the pickups and Baggs piezo is stunning, especially when run thru two different systems. The piezo, however, does not sound as good thru my guitar amps as it does thru my powered monitors (as expected).

What are your recommendations for an acoustic guitar amp for the piezo? Also, when recording the piezo direct, do you recommend any type of box/pre-amp/etc. between the guitar and the input to enhance the piezo sound?

Thanks.

On acoustic these days I use a GT DITTO live (and use the house system) and use the same to go direct.

It is small and portable and live, it lets you take advantage of the house EQ and their racks of amps.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by DIAMOND DUST:

Hey Myles. I have three quick questions for you..

Do you prefer a Black face 'Bandmaster' or 'Bassman?

What do you think about MUSIC MAN amps?

Are the new Fender Pro series tube amps any good?

:):)

Do you prefer a Black face 'Bandmaster' or 'Bassman? ........... depends on the application and speaker cabs.

What do you think about MUSIC MAN amps? ......... I like them, but with the very high plate voltages you better use good tubes in the output section. They are reliable and travel well too.

Are the new Fender Pro series tube amps any good? ...... they are complex inside, and I have my preferences with their eight preamp tubes, especially V2. This is all on my website in my personal gear setup on the Pro Reverb.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by fireman591:

Hey Miles,

I was practicing on how to solo with the different modes with my teacher and he played some awsome riffs that went with the different modes very well. He said that they are chord clusters. I was wondering if you could give me an idea on what they are and where I could find a reference on some basic chord clusters that go with each of the different modes. (i.e. ionian...)

fireman591.........

There are a lot of internet resources that can be found pretty easily in regard to music theory.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Hi Myles (I spelled your name right this time)!

I was wondering if you had given any thought to my Pignose problem (other than buying a cheap amp that sounded great).

If nothing else, I live in the mountains of Colorado and there is no local service center for this type of repair. Do you know of a reputable repair shop in Colorado or Utah? I'm now forced to play through an old Fender Deluxe 85 and I MISS MY TUBES!

Thanks so much.

Mark

Originally posted by mchen:

Hi Myles (I spelled your name right this time)!

I was wondering if you had given any thought to my Pignose problem (other than buying a cheap amp that sounded great).

If nothing else, I live in the mountains of Colorado and there is no local service center for this type of repair. Do you know of a reputable repair shop in Colorado or Utah? I'm now forced to play through an old Fender Deluxe 85 and I MISS MY TUBES!

Thanks so much.

Mark

Mark,

I thought I answered this earlier.

In any case, if I did not, what was the issue and have the tubes and bias been checked?

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Hi Myles.

Here is what is going on with the Pignose. When I first bought it, I ordered a new set of Groove Tubes (3 - 6L6GC's and 3 - 12AX7A's, leaving the factory tube for the reverb in place), for it. I installed them and saved the factory Chinese tubes as spares. The bias on the 6L6GC's was labeled on the tubes as "7" (I know this is not a true bias reading, just Groove Tubes rating). My understanding is that the amp is biased on the cold side (it is not adjustable).

There was no indication of a tube "starting to fail" prior to the failure of the amp.

It just quit in middle of a song.

I got the amp home and replaced all of the Groove Tubes with the factory originals. The amp powers up fine with the normal background hum. It responds to the Gain and Master volume controls (the hum gets louder/softer). As soon as I send an input signal, the amp goes dead. The power light stays on, all of the tubes continue to have a healthy glow, but there is zero output and no background hum at all. I then power the amp down, let it cool off and it will then repeat all of this again. The Groove Tubes also glowed fine.

Any ideas? I'm pretty good with a multi-meter (I troubleshoot and repair irrigation controllers), but haven't ever been "under the hood" of a tube amp.

Thanks again,

Mark

Originally posted by mchen:

Hi Myles.

Here is what is going on with the Pignose. When I first bought it, I ordered a new set of Groove Tubes (3 - 6L6GC's and 3 - 12AX7A's, leaving the factory tube for the reverb in place), for it. I installed them and saved the factory Chinese tubes as spares. The bias on the 6L6GC's was labeled on the tubes as "7" (I know this is not a true bias reading, just Groove Tubes rating). My understanding is that the amp is biased on the cold side (it is not adjustable).

There was no indication of a tube "starting to fail" prior to the failure of the amp.

It just quit in middle of a song.

I got the amp home and replaced all of the Groove Tubes with the factory originals. The amp powers up fine with the normal background hum. It responds to the Gain and Master volume controls (the hum gets louder/softer). As soon as I send an input signal, the amp goes dead. The power light stays on, all of the tubes continue to have a healthy glow, but there is zero output and no background hum at all. I then power the amp down, let it cool off and it will then repeat all of this again. The Groove Tubes also glowed fine.

Any ideas? I'm pretty good with a multi-meter (I troubleshoot and repair irrigation controllers), but haven't ever been "under the hood" of a tube amp.

Thanks again,

Mark

Mark....

Which 6L6 tubes. There are R, R2, S, and GEs.

There is no more 12AX7A, perhaps these were older dealer stock or something. On the 12AX7, there is the R, R2, R3, and C.

A #7 rating may be fine, but the bias needs to be checked, even if fixed. You want about 30mA here if your plate voltage is 450-475 or so.

The plate voltage can be carefully measured off pin 3 of the output tube socket. Watch out if you are not an amp tech, as it is very easy to get zapped. Have a tech do this if you are not sure. Once I know this, I can go on.

Have the tech measure the voltage off pin 5. This should be about -52 volts.

This may be something in the power supply, and knowing the voltages above are in the ball park will tell me a lot.

The glow of the tubes are just the heaters, and this comes from another area in the power supply, so is no an indication of anything much. On some preamps tubes such as the 12AX7R2, the heaters are encased, so even when working, one will not see any glow.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Myles,

Thanks so much for the information. I guess I need to find an amp tech. Any ideas for someone in Denver, Grand Junction or Salt Lake?

Thanks for the great service you provide to us!!!!

If you ever need a free irrigation design....

Mark