Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Pay the rent

Marso

Once upon a time, this guitar player had an SG standard (cherry) with a bigsby that he bought brand new in 1973

at the age of 16 (more or less) for 480$. He kept this guitar for numerous years. Then it got stolen, but the police found it

a few weeks after. So, this SG stayed in his posession all these years until one day...

He needed the money for the rent. So he sold it for 400$ (canadian, wich is about 32$ US hehe) in 1990. Now, every time he sees an SG

he goes "depress" for a whole week and wants to kill himself...

I'm wondering, am i the only one (stupid enough) who had to lose some pretty valuable instrument like that?

Or, are there other horror stories like mine??

Feel free to share.

What was your worst transaction? The one move you'll never forgive yourself.

:(:mad::(

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sure. We were all young and stupid.

Worst?

'63 Gibson Firebird I was lucky enough to find for a song at a pawn shop in 1975. Wanted more powerful pickups. Can't remember the relatively low bucks I sold it for back in '82, but I kick myself every day.

'66 Gibson Firebird (non-reverse). Sold it to buy the '63. That was my first good guitar.

Alvarez-Yairi doubleneck acoustic 6-12. Never seen another one like it. Sold it to buy PA gear.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

I saved $ forever and at age 17 bought my first 'real' guitar. 1977 Gibson Les Paul Custom, wine red, brand new. Seems I paid 600.00 or so for it. I babied it and played it a ton. Ten years later, married, broke, sold it for $500.00 and thought I came out great. Boy I wish I had that guitar back. :(

Sold a cherry red Les Paul standard and a Twin silverface (back in around 1978) to a friend for $500 cuz I wanted a motorcyle. Now worth at least $2,500.

Hung an EKO pushbutton guitar on a different friends garage wall that I paid $25 for. Have seen them as high as $800

Why are you doing this to us? Go away

A 1975 Rick 4001 bass. Sold it for a POS Fender P-J MIJ bass. (sigh)

The original JEM 777(Bought this before I really started playing guitar, I just hacked around on it), traded for a POS 4 track and a cheaper Ibanez RG series.

God they're both worth THOUSANDS now!

Anybody wanna buy a 91 Fender Stu Hamm Urge and an Acacia hand made fretless? They're both mint. I figure I should sell them now before they actually become worth something. Just kidding.

Jack

I really don't know what to put here.

1970 I had a nice, who knows how old, tobacco sunburst acoustic archtop. I decided I didn't like the color so I sanded it down and spray painted it red, white & blue. (ala Buck Owens) Well, I used enamel paint & the tone went away. Without the brains to realize that & take it back off I gave the guitar away.

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

I had a 60's Jazzmaster ripped off. It's weird what they're worth now.

Things I've sold for nothing or traded in on something (shudder) and regretted: 2 Fender Bassmans, Fender Super Twin, Fender Deluxe Reverb, Mesa Mk II, 70's Les Paul Standard, 70's Fender Tele, 57 Gibson Arch Top, Moog Satelite Synth, and a bunch of other stuff that is too painful to list.

If I'd only known then what I know now...

What also really bothers me are the deals I passed up in the 70's. I had numerous chances to buy Les Pauls, Fender guitars and amps etc for next to nothing compared to today's prices. Oh bother...

yep, sure put some balm on my injury...

Sold a 12 strings Rickenbacker (natural finish) though, sigh...a marshall 50W 4x12 circa 1975, a strat circa 65 and a mustang about the same age. Someone came to my house and stole a black fender jaguar (1960 something) and also a colorsound SupaTone bender too.(what a nice fuzz it was!)

And now, there are no chances to find that type of instrument without paying the big $$$ fo sure.

One thing though, when it's your decision, well, it's your decision...but having your stuff stolen, that hurts! Me and my friend, we had this little 16 tracks studio with several synths, reverbs, Mackie 32x8,

monitors, guitars, amps, dat,etc. and some people came in late at night on a Sunday and took every... f...thing. 60 000$ worth of equipment down the drain! (no insurance, we were'nt in the best financial situation at the time) That's not cool. Some country punishes thieves a lot harsher than we are, I'm wondering if we sould'nt follow the example. Burglars are everywhere here, and I am not talking about steeling a piece of bread to feed a family of four!

1992 Gibson Les paul Studio Lite in translucent blue (model and color have been discontinued for years) got it in 94, sold it in 96 because it fell over and what started as a slight stress fracture ended up opening the back of the neck and with string tension, ended up making the head flush with the neck... luckily (yet stupidly) I sold it to a friend for a mere $200 (Paid $900 with a severe discount) years later (last year) when I realized I really really wanted it back, I tracked it through 2 other people who had bought it since (I knoew them personally), finally got it back for $50.. sent it to be repaired now I play it everyday. It doesnt hold much monetary value but I love that guitar.

Archived