Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Marshall Silver Jubilee amp discussion

peel

here it is, so get talking...

One thing ive noticed about this amp, on the clean settings, it sweeter sounding than most JCMs, less dirty and un-marshall.

I wonder of that is part of the mystique about this amp?

Peel

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

is it just me, or is it noticeable cleaner than other marshalls in the JCM line..?

signal, you mentioned a mod that was to boost the gain..? The price range wa pretty large, how come..?

Do you guys run your HD into 4 x 12?

Has anyone played an identical jube, how did it compare..?

I see them here fairly frequently and the last one was used, mint and consigned for $2400 CDN for the HD & 412..!

peel

Originally posted by peel:

is it just me, or is it noticeable cleaner than other marshalls in the JCM line..?

better than any other JCM that's for sure. Marshall clean doesn't do it for me like a Vox or an old Fender though, so I usually only have the clean channel clipped.

signal, you mentioned a mod that was to boost the gain..? The price range wa pretty large, how come..?

you could probably get the preamp modded to get more gain out of it. this mod bypasses the preamp and is basically a preamp in a box. you use an amp switcher to change between the two. you don't have to mod your amp at all so that's cool.

I have for the past few years into my trusty old Mesa/Boogie half back cab. once in a while I run two 4x12s and it sounds great. I recently got a custom ported 1x12 that sounds amazing with it as well.

played a 2550 and a 2555. they both sounded pretty good, but weren't set up very well so mine was much better. tried the mini stack version of it and didn't really like it. sounded harsh and boxy.

I see them here fairly frequently and the last one was used, mint and consigned for $2400 CDN for the HD & 412..!

that seems pretty high; I've seen a full stack here for $2500. usually around $1500 for the head, haven't seen a cab on its own.

Originally posted by signal1000:

better than any other JCM that's for sure. Marshall clean doesn't do it for me like a Vox or an old Fender though, so I usually only have the clean channel clipped.

Voxs are very cool, and I would love one

you could probably get the preamp modded to get more gain out of it. this mod bypasses the preamp and is basically a preamp in a box. you use an amp switcher to change between the two. you don't have to mod your amp at all so that's cool.

>>it was $250 -650, wasnt it? why the leap in cost?

I have for the past few years into my trusty old Mesa/Boogie half back cab. once in a while I run two 4x12s and it sounds great. I recently got a custom ported 1x12 that sounds amazing with it as well.

>>Im not crazy about the 2551 cab, other than its value as set. I bet 2 2 x12 spread apart would be cool.

played a 2550 and a 2555. they both sounded pretty good, but weren't set up very well so mine was much better. tried the mini stack version of it and didn't really like it. sounded harsh and boxy.

I saw the mini HD for $900!! used

that seems pretty high; I've seen a full stack here for $2500. usually around $1500 for the head, haven't seen a cab on its own.
I passed on a used matching cab 2x12 for $450. It was gone the next time I was at the store. Im happy with my new 2 x12 and cost $200

One thing ive noticed is the slash factor is not present in my model. I know that there was another Slash sig model out there. What I want to know is what sets this amp apart design wise over the other marshalls?

Anyone?

Peel

:cool:

Ive heard alot of people say Marshall's clean was nothing to write home about but personally I love the clean of the 2555. I tried a JCM2000 TSL once at sam ash, the clean was nice and all but I didnt dig the lead channel and because im either hot or cold i didnt find any use for the over drive or "crunch" channel. Theres something lacking with the new Marshalls which is why I love the 2555.

What is involved in modding the amp for more gain? Granted I havent had the amp cranked past 3 on the lead master so that might factor in as to why I think there could be a little bit more gain... but ive had the input gain on 8 or 9 and the higher it goes, the thicker the lead channel, the only thing I dont like is that the input gain is the main volume for the clean channel.. my work around for this (using a gibson LP studio lite) is to use the lead channel with the input gain on say 8 with the guitar volume all the way up on treble, then when I want to switch to clean (which would be deafening with the input gain so high) I switch the guitar to rhythm with the volume on like 3... I guess its easier if your slash and have 2 amps, 1 for clean and one for lead but otherwise this is the only way I know how to manage the 2 channels. Anyone know of a more efficient way?

Currently I run my amp into a 4x12 crate (i know, i know) however in a month my jcm800 4x12 marshall will be here so that will be my definitive setup. For the time being at gigs or practice I run it into a 2x12 ampeg which sounds really good, the ampeg belongs to a friend of ours whos letting us (mainly me) use it till my cab gets here and it sounds good but I cant wait for the marshall... Im most likely going to invest in a marshall powerbrake pretty soon because at the bars and clubs we play at now, they are too small to have the amp cranked to where the tube power would really kick in, so I figure a power brake would take care of that.

This is the only jube ive ever played on it grew on me in a matter of minutes playing on it.. im never gettin rid of this thing.

Ive never seen anyone use one around here or anywhere else ive ever been, not even in music stores have I ever seen one. Only place I could find them was online music stores.. I found a full 2555 stack in california for $2500 but with shipping charges and all that would be close to $3000... doesnt matter I couldnt have afforded the stack anyway, and they wouldnt split it up.. luckily I found mine from someone willing to do payments with me on ebay, altogether I paid $1000 for mine - just the head - plus $75 for shipping... not a scratch on it, the only thing a little wrong with it is there seems to be a loose connection with the output push/pull pot, if it doesnt catch right when you pull it, theres no sound, you have to kind of tap it, but I have a single marshall footswitch that I use and that gets rid of the problem altogether.

I dont know what makes this amp so different from other marshalls as im not much of an amp expert but whatever it is I love it, stay with the classics I say.

I dont use the rhythm clip because when I switch over from the lead channel, I want the clean to be as clear as possible.. so even though the rhythm clip is a cool feature, I dont use it.

AS far as tubes, I would be interested to hear what a quartet of KT-88 tubes would sound like with the amp. Ive heard that they give a warmer rounder tone.. I also know that they are 3 times more expensive ($300) then a quartet of EL34's

Peel - the mod I was talking about is made by a guy named Dan Lang. The more expensive pedal was a two channel preamp. I was looking for a more "Voxey" clean and an "Orangey" overdrive with a bit of a chug factor. That was the higher end two channel that he suggested @ $650. A one channel preamp was around $250USD.

I've heard good things about his mods and he was really nice to me even though in the end I didn't go for the mod. (Yet.) I've been playing bass for a couple groups so my gear budget has been in that department.

Marshall clean is a bit in the eye(ear?) of the beholder. I played with a guy for years who just loves the Marshall clean. For me, I'll take a bf Deluxe Reverb or a Vox AC15 or 30 clean sound over a Marshall any day. My Marshall does the crunchy thing well, and as Marshalls go, the clean is a lot better in the Jubilee than anything next to a plexi or the sweet clean of the Marshall 18watt mini Bluesbreaker.

Originally posted by signal1000:

Peel - the mod I was talking about is made by a guy named Dan Lang. The more expensive pedal was a two channel preamp. I was looking for a more "Voxey" clean and an "Orangey" overdrive with a bit of a chug factor. That was the higher end two channel that he suggested @ $650. A one channel preamp was around $250USD.

I've heard good things about his mods and he was really nice to me even though in the end I didn't go for the mod. (Yet.) I've been playing bass for a couple groups so my gear budget has been in that department.

Marshall clean is a bit in the eye(ear?) of the beholder. I played with a guy for years who just loves the Marshall clean. For me, I'll take a bf Deluxe Reverb or a Vox AC15 or 30 clean sound over a Marshall any day. My Marshall does the crunchy thing well, and as Marshalls go, the clean is a lot better in the Jubilee than anything next to a plexi or the sweet clean of the Marshall 18watt mini Bluesbreaker.

signal, thanks for the info, that mod sounds good but out of my budget. Actually, it sounds like a stand alone preamp really.

I totally hear you on the clean issue. I love the sound of 6L6 tubes and I like my Mesa 50./50.

A vox would be cool but again its a budget thing and besides, I dont really need 2 amps for our club dates, we small club band.

I still wouldnt mind a friggin VOX!!

:love:

Archived