Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Tune-o-matic Mysteries

Oscar

My Les Paul has a tune-o-matic with all six saddles aligned identically: the angled edge is facing the bridge, as are the adjustment screws. Each saddle has a tiny notch in its top surface for the string to reside in.

My Alleykat has a tune-o-matic with 3 saddles facing forward and the remaining 3 facing backwards (the bass strings have the angled side facing towards the neck). Furthermore, the adjustment screws face the neck as well. And each saddle has a very pronounced, V-shaped indent for the string to be in.

Is there any ratio behind these differences, one wonders....?

Oscar plays a stock Gibson Les Paul with P90's, a stock Epiphone Alleykat (both strung with .011's with a wound G), a Fender HotRod Deluxe, a Fender Frontman 15 Reverb and a Vox ValveTone.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've seen tuneomatics on imports with the "grooves" cast into the saddle...most American Gibson style instruments use a plated brass saddle that lets the user/setup person cut the groove.

Check your intonation on the LP, if it's right, it's right...other than that, you should be able to reverse the saddle for better intonation. You will probably have to refile the groove "back angle" to keep the string from rattling.....

Reversing the saddle is a luthier's trick that allows you a greater range in motion for setting intonation. With the flat side facing the close edge of the frame, you can move the actual string postion closer than if all are in the same direction.

As to the screws, you may be describing the two designs Gibson has made over the years. If your bridge has a single retaining wire, running on the outside of the frame, it's an ABR-1 style bridge. (The older, or as Gibson would put it, vintage style. :D ) The Style with individual retaining clips, inside each track is the Tune-O-Matic bridge. It's also commonly referred to as the Nashville bridge. Although they share overall similarities, Only the Nashville bridge is correctly identified as a Tune-O-Matic.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Actually, the ABR-1 is a Tuneamatic. It was marketed as such by Gibson when introduced and was known as a Tune-a-matic Bridge. The Nashville is a Nashville Tuneamatic.

Gibson uses the term to designate the six adjustable bridge saddle design.

The saddles may be reversed if you need more room, a comon problem with the older ABR-1 style. However a deep V notch is a bad idea. It will choke the string and may inhibt harmonic resonance. The slot should be no deeper than it takes to hold the string in place. No more than half the diameter at most.

This is good info, thanks!

The Alleykat intonates exceptionally well; it played great right out of the factory cardboard box (I didn't even have to adjust it - it was perfect; and this is the only mass-production instrument I know of that comes with .011's with a wound G straight from the factory).

The Paul has given some intonation problems. The notches in the saddle are the tiniest I've ever seen and not very cleanly cut either. I've solved most intonation problems, but the low E (I use a .050 or a .054, which is quite hefty) is still a nuisance. It intonates correctly at the 12th fret, but it's off when fretting in the low registers. It also doesn't sound like a perfect E when compared to, say, the E on the D-string, 2nd fret or the open high-E. So I tune it down by ear, and then it sounds in tune (both the open string and the fretted notes). The notch in the saddle is very shallow; there's no way that half the string fits snugly in there. It's more like it's laying on top of the saddle with a tiny indent to keep it in place.

Me thinks I should get a good repairman to cut me some proper indents in the Paul's saddles :rolleyes: .

Oscar plays a stock Gibson Les Paul with P90's, a stock Epiphone Alleykat (both strung with .011's with a wound G), a Fender HotRod Deluxe, a Fender Frontman 15 Reverb and a Vox ValveTone.

Originally posted by Big Al:

Actually, the ABR-1 is a Tuneamatic. It was marketed as such by Gibson when introduced and was known as a Tune-a-matic Bridge. The Nashville is a Nashville Tuneamatic.

Gibson uses the term to designate the six adjustable bridge saddle design...

You are correct. I was exhibiting a case of mental dyslexia, and reversed which term applied to both! :eek:;)

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

You may need to lower the nut slot for your big strings....sounds like it's a bit high...either that, or the nut is in the wrong spot...happens all the time. Something to research with a good set of calipers...

Supoosedly, the Buzz Feiten and Earvana systems will correct that problem...but a properly cut nut goes a LONG way.

Dave

Archived