Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Giving advise to potential future studio competition.

Have you ever advised local musicians on building a home project studio,only to find out they are setting up as your competition? I have become respected in my community of 70,000 people,as a recording expert.In the name of good relations I give my advise somewhat freely.Local music retailers pass my name on to potential clients.In the last four or five years,about five new studios have opened up shop,sporting modest setups,VS1680s to native DAWs and advertising ridculously low flat rate recording time.It seems there are now more studios,than there are bands to record. I fully intend to keep at my craft and keep building my studio.I realize that being an established buisiness,with superior gear and expertise gives me the advantage.My clients have been quite loyal and pleased with my sevcices. 2002 has been the worst year in my 8 years of operation,2001 was my best.I think my biggest competion is coming from a guy who is using an old tascam 8 trk 1/2" machine.His tracks are sounding quite good and he's used my services a couple of times for duplication and mastering. The main market here is in young hardcore bands. They are noticing improved results with analog,I've got a 1/2 track for mastering,but it does not provide the wonderfull affect that hitting the tape hard on a drum track can have,or the smoothing affect it can have on electric guitars.I think I am being faced with inevitable expantion to 1" or 2" format,and a considerable increase in operating costs in order to dominate the market.Is anyone else experiencing the same trend

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
First off, congrats on being in business for 8 years. What are the odds of that??? I don't run a studio so I can't offer much in the way of my personal experience. I think it's great that you help people to put their own studios together, but remember what puts food on your table... It's still a competitive market place. You have to have customers to stay in business. What market are you serving? Is it strictly just bands, or are you doing commercials and so forth? The thing that concerns me about studios and operating costs, is that I feel a lot of them have far too much to offer. The costs involved in having all of this great gear drive up the rate you have to charge to stay afloat. If someone else can get set up for a few thousand bucks with some mediocre gear and simply low-ball the competition AND start drawing clients away from you, then clearly you either need a higher class of client or you need lower operating costs. But those are just my thoughts. I'm sure someone far wiser than me will chime in.

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

Audiofreek, I feel your pain. Your situation sounds very familiar, as we are also learning to be less forthcoming with our advice. If questions go beyond the basic stuff we charge an audio consulting fee. A few people might get offended by that idea, but most respect the intent. Some of our competitors have booked time with us to learn our methods, which I have no problem with at all. Competition is increasing as recording budgets are shrinking so we are forced to adjust rates and work longer and harder for less money. I've found that what matters most is how your work sounds and how well you interface with the clients. Once you reach a certain level, gear is not as big a factor as some would have you believe. This push to contantly upgrade systems is frustrating because it's stupid to make major gear investments AND be forced to reduce rates at the same time. There seems to be no positive rate flexibility at all in the current business climate. WAY too many people doing this as a serious hobby, investing lots of money in gear and willing to work for almost nothing. You have to really love doing this stuff because it's a terrible business to try to make a profit in these days. I still love it but unfortunately don't forsee a long and prosperous future anymore. Best of luck to you.

That is sound buisiness advise Super8,and yes,I record bands primarily.Occasionally I will hire musicians to play on tracks for song writers. I have done some live classical recording,as well as highschool stage bands(which can be fun). My studio is in the basement of my house,so my operating costs are quite low,and I am able to write off the loss against my income from my day job,so it is not really a sink or swim situation for me.More like an anoyance

Thanks for the sympathy pigknuckles,after reading Chris Stones book,The Sound of Money,I realized that working co-operatively with the competion and team building can be an important asset in this buisiness.However,you quickly find out who you can trust,or who will try to cut you out of a deal that you have put together.I find that it is just as important to be an active member of the scene,as it is to be a profitable service.I try not to draw clients in to an issue or quibble I may have with the competition,but just make sure that they know,that if they record with me,they are getting a great value. I may point out that,when "THE TAKE" comes,I've captured it in the best way possible. I believe to waiste that moment,and take a chance on poor engineering,is sadly, a common mistake these days.

quote from audiofreek: My studio is in the basement of my house,so my operating costs are quite low,and I am able to write off the loss against my income from my day job,so it is not really a sink or swim situation for me.More like an anoyance ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Based upon that statement my sympathy for you is greatly reduced if not withdrawn entirely. People like you are part of my dilemma (no offense intended). If everyone else is subsidized by other income and willing to operate at a loss, I must provide a MUCH greater level of service in order to survive, let alone make any profit. To make matters worse, the end product is now commonly copied or stolen for free. I love it, but it's a stupid business. I do agree that building goodwill among competitors is important, but knowledge and expertise have value. Competitors understand this or they wouldn't be asking you questions in the first place. Make consulting and training a part of your paid service. This is a good topic and I'm very interested in replies both pro and con. Thanks for starting it audiofreek.

[quote]Originally posted by audiofreek: [b]That is sound buisiness advise Super8,and yes,I record bands primarily.Occasionally I will hire musicians to play on tracks for song writers. I have done some live classical recording,as well as highschool stage bands(which can be fun). My studio is in the basement of my house,so my operating costs are quite low,and I am able to write off the loss against my income from my day job,so it is not really a sink or swim situation for me.More like an anoyance[/b][/quote]I have a similar operation, but it is my primary income, so I care about it, but... I freely give out tips to clients and would probably help anyone to the extent it was not a burden - if someone wanted a lot of help, I'd bill it out. I'm not so worried that any one tip I give away will make a big deal. Recording and mixing is a very hard thing to do well - if someone can truely become competition, they would have anyway, so you may as well be on their good side if possible. If they are just wankers and pull together the equipment with no experience, then they have the same hard road to go down to sort out how to make it work that anyone does - if they stick it out, then fine, but most people don't have that sort of perseverence. And if they do, like I say, it doesn't really matter if you help them or not, they'll get it done one way or another. It sounds like, in reality, your competition is that guys skill with the analog gear. Every business has to adapt to changing market demands. He is filling a niche that you don't - that is really your problem. You might even consider teaming up with him, if he does good work, to provide a joint front of services that are larger than what either of you can do alone.

Steve Powell - Bull Moon Digital

www.bullmoondigital.com

No offense taken pigknuckles,it must look like poetic justice to you.I am teaming up with the analog guy,the band he is currently recording will be bringing thier project here,to mix on protools,after the basics have been recorded on analog. I have one competitor that Has a facility in a commercial building,he has been in buisiness for over 10 years,and he does good work,and if I can't provide a booking for an artist,I will refer them to him.If he needs to borrow a piece of gear,I have provided it to him.He is an extremely busy guy,he is often jetting around the globe doing production work for Sony and such. His main engineer and I are currently working on a project together.He is providing the industrialization aspect,after I am done with the tracking,and mixing of the band.

Archived