Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Wah Pedals

ooJake2000

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Depend on which kind of Wah you are lookin' for; if you are looking for the classic vintage wah tone (let's say from Jimi to SRV), there's one and only choice IMHO: the Vox.

Now, if you don't really know and want to try different tones before sticking to the one you love, the Dano is a good choice; ok, it's cheaper builded but there's many interesting tones (60' and 70' sounds).

Philippe - aka "Minnie The Moocher"- is a proud member of the Xanadu Team - visit us at www.Xanaduteam.net

Our friendly administrator "kudyba" posted a thread on Craig's forum http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=004084, that mentioned the "upgraded" website for the UEM mag's. If you check out www.guitarplayer.com, you'll see that they have an archive article and review of 7 wah's... I think they rate them fairly, and I liked the descriptions the gave of the differences.

You asked about the "Q" knob on the Dunlop 535QWah, (one of the editor choice ones), I believe it changes the sweep range of the wah, letting you set the high end where you like it best.

Good Luck no matter Wah you get!

guitplayer

I'm still "guitplayer"!

Check out my music if you like...

http://www.michaelsaulnier.com

In a fit of mania last year I bought a Bud Wah, a purple true-bypassed version of a basic King Vox style-wah. It's overpriced (about $160) but it sounds magnificent.

A few months ago Guitar Player magazine did a wah shootout, you might want to dig it up, it was pretty extensive.

i use the dunlop 105Q bass wah and i enjoy, havent tried the guitar one to much but heard good things.

the "Q" control is the width of the filter, which affects the range in the pedal.. IE all the way down there is very little differnce from heel to toe, but turned all the way up the range becomes very wide and the filter has alot more audible effect, from VERY bassy (heel) to VERY thin (toe)

a mid setting is usually best for traditional wah work

try a bunch out and see what suits you

Also, at least try the Morley "Bad Horsie" wah. I never really cared for Morley pedals before so I was hesitant to even try this one out. One day I was killing some time in G.C. and just said "what the hell." Plugged it in and it sounded pretty damn good...so I bought it. When I got it home, it absolutely blew me away. The wah range is really wide and it's just got an unbelieveable filter sweep. Maybe it just works well with my setup. The only bummer is that it's spring-loaded to return to the "back" position. So you can't just leave it half-open when you find a good tone (one of my favorite things to do). Still, it sounds, to me, better than any recent Crybaby or Vox pedals and for much less $$$ than the boutique wahs. Good luck in your quest!
None more black.

Archived