Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Marshall Power Break

TeddFoxx

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't know about the Marshall powerbrake, but I have a THD hotplate attenuator and have no problem.

It is very important that the units be matched to the impedence of the amp, and that it be wired correctly, also be sure its hooked up, and the cords are good.

If the power from the amp is not handled correctly it will definiely damage something.

Dont use them on solid state amps.

4ohms means 4 ohms, 8 ohms means 8 ohms, dont put a 4 ohm load on a 16 ohm amp or the other way around.

The thing about power brakes etc is that people run their amps full out and then cut the volume. When you crank your amp you are really giving all of it's components hell. A lot of the blown amp stories would have happened with or without the power brake. The brake just made the amp less loud before it fried.

Any amp being run flat out into a load has to be in pretty good shape. If an output tube fails, and there is no B+ fuse (which is the case on many amps), you run the risk of causing the output transformer to fail.

If your filter caps are not in good condition, stray signals can also tax other components in the amp.

Make sure your amp is in good shape, and you should be fine.

The Hot Plate that was mentioned above, it a newer generation of the attenuator idea than the Power Brake and has some additional features and works very well. I have used Power Brakes, GT speaker emulators, and other devices, and at this time, the Hot Plate is the nicest item like this on the market to my ears. It is also small and easy to use.

Regards

Myles S. Rose

www.guitaramplifierblueprinting.com

www.la-economy.blogspot.com

www.facebook.com/mylesr

www.twitter.com/myles111us

Archived