Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Why war with Iraq is necessary...

Hey - I´m not going to bother replying with quotes, or this thread´s going to be longer than Selma Hayek´s legs (yum). Countries like Iraq, North Korea, Iran, or any other one that sees the U.S. as a threat, whether or not it´s Senegal, Uzbekistan, Pago Pago, etc. (not to say these countries do - I´m only citing them for illustration) realize that the U.S. is capable of mobilizing all its forces and bombing any square inch of the world in only a week. In order for a country to compete with that kind of army, they would need to build one of that size, and that would take an impossibly long time and require unavailable resources. Their only alternative is to build weapons of mass destruction. This has already begun and will not cease any time soon. Saddam may or may not have the capability to deliver WMDs on anything other than a regional scale. I doubt he does because of the logistical difficulties in doing so. In any case, the American people (and people of the world) will never know, because if the U.S. government releases information regarding its knowledge of the development and proliferation of such weapons, its sources will be compromised. The only thing it can do is share the information it has with the intelligence experts of its allies in an attempt to convince them that war is necessary. So far, this has not been the case. If France doesn´t buy it, then they don´t buy it - that doesn´t matter. If Germany does´t buy it, then maybe there´s a reason why. But if France, Germany, Russia and China aren´t convinced, then there´s probably a lack of condemning evidence on the part of the CIA that needs to be addressed before an invasion is commenced. I´m also still not convinced that Saddam will continue to remain in power, even after an invasion. I was in Incirlik the last time that the U.S. was having problems with Saddam (the air force sent two F-15s every morning at 4,5,6, and 7 am Turkish time to fly over Baghdad and wake hime up with a few sonic booms), and I talked to a colonel there to ask him why Saddam is still behind the wheel. He basically said that they admitted to having tried to oust him, but it wasn´t that easy. He said that people don´t understand how difficult it is to get to him, and that he´s surrounded by many, many people who are willing to die for him (many of whom look like him). If getting to him were easy, Americans probably would have done so the first time, because George Sr. could have considered it to be the greatest possible outcome in the war. I have a hard time believing that the U.S. didn´t do so because it wasn´t one of their primary objectives - that sort of thing is most easily said after a failed attempt at doing so. There´s a book I read a while back called The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order, which basically discusses the rise in cultural influence of the Muslim community and the substantial increase in economic strength of Asian markets with regard to the decline in the influence of Western civilizations. One of the quotes in the book sums it up beautifully - "Western intervention in the affairs of other civilizations is probably the single most dangerous source of instability and potential global conflict in a multicivilizational world." Anyway, I´m exhausted :p . You´ve got some good points, Phil, which you address wonderfully. -- Jimmy

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote]Originally posted by Philip O'Keefe: [b] [quote]Originally posted by sign: [b] [quote]Originally posted by CarmenC: and ended WWII...[/quote]That's true, certainly for the 210.000 civillians.[/b][/quote]Estimates done at the time suggested over ONE MILLION American casualties and countles more Japanese losses if an invasion of Japan had been undertaken. Considering those figures, the actual losses inflicted by the use of the two atomic bombs in Japan seem the lesser of the two evils. IMO, Truman made the correct decision. Had the existence of the atomic bomb become public knowledge, and he HADN'T used it, but opted for the invasion instead, then he would have been impeached.[/b][/quote]Phil, it was my answer to Carmen C and another guy who proudly stated that one airplane could eliminate 1900 people, or something like that. So I replied by posting that not so very long ago two planes eliminated 210.000 civillians. I admit that is pretty harsh or even blunt, the way I said this. About the subject, I agree with you, Japan had to be stopped, but nevertheless it was a horrible way of doing it. 210.000 civillians dead, horrible is even a too nice word. For me that was the end of civilization. Any normal, decent human being should hate war. It's a shame we can't avoid it. A long time ago someone said: "thou shalt not kill" Peace bro!
The alchemy of the masters moving molecules of air, we capture by moving particles of iron, so that the poetry of the ancients will echo into the future.

Given the way things are going at this point, the only thing I can foresee is that if the US does launch the war against Iraq, the US military will HAVE to stay in the region for years afterwards, simply to prevent the political power vacuum that would be created otherwise. rt

The problem with DU is that people may be exposed to it in ways they're not thinking of. Munitions loaders on A10's and other guns have to routinely handle the ammo that goes in the gun of the plane, for instance. The rounds they use in an A10 (and others) are all incendiary. The DU ignites as part of the process. Each round has about half a pound of DU; for a two second burst that would be around 50 lbs. of DU burning in each target, if not more. If you think about a situation like the Highway of Death, there was *tohusands* of pounds of DU burning. Consider each A10 carried about 1000 lbs. of rounds, most of which is the weight of DU; they flew a number of sorties a day, that DU was mostly all ignited and went into the air. That's a *lot* of DU. How "safe" would it be to hang out, breathing and having the smoke penetrate your skin, for a day or two around a couple of fires burning from say, cadmium or lead...? Then there's souvenirs, non-incendiary munitions; I'm sure those things were everywhere laying around. How many guys leaned over and said "hey, cool... I'm taking this home", stuck it in his sock for the next week...

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

Archived