Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Chip----Re: Intelliflex

cerumen

chip,

a while back you told me to go with the intelliflex to get somewhat of a near tri stereo chorus sound...

i've found the intelliflex's....

just one question...

which model? or which year do i get...?

were you talking about the new ones or the old ones..

thanks...

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by cerumen:

chip,

a while back you told me to go with the intelliflex to get somewhat of a near tri stereo chorus sound...

just one question...

thanks...

Yeah, they do the tri-chorus thing even better - you get 8 discrete voices, each with seperate modulation rates, depths and panning. It'd be cooler/nicer sounding to have 8 seperate discrete delays of different makes (like a pair of SDD's, a pair of Korgs, a pair of old Deltalabs and maybe a pair of SPX's) and a clean mixer - but it'd also be more of a hassle.

Actually, deference to Cereal... there are small differences between the old and the new... and I hate to say it... wait for it...

I think the blackface ones sound better.

I've had both, and I've A/B'ed them side by side. The silverface (LTD) seems to run out of head room faster (where the blackface seems to sound "clean" just about "forever"; the LTD didn't seem to have the same dynamic response in the high end, more "ON/OFF", less linear?), and has a certain "cheaper" (IMO) coloration to it (if I recall some things were put on an IC that are "pseudo-discrete" in the old one). Extreamly subtle, and nothing anyone in an audience would hear. BUT - I'm into the notion of cumulative influence...

The Voodoo Valve is the same way - had 2 of those as well, and again the older one sounded better (much more noticeable difference). But subtle, but I remember thinking "man... this doesn't sound the same as the old one...". A/B'ed the new one with my old unit (sold to a friend) and sure enough, not the same. The brilliant thing to the blackface Intellifex was that it seemed almost totally transparent with guitar sounds, I never felt like I had given up anything really running through it when A/B'ed against plugging in around it. Can't say that for any other digital unit I've tried.

Also I think they eliminated the up/down jacks (no biggie) and some other minor things that are negligible, but the O/S is the same I believe. Effectively the same unit but if given the choice I'd pick a blackface I think.

But really - I'm hoping I can replace it with the Yamaha Holdsworth stompbox; the Intellifex stays home in my Boogie rack most of the time anyhow, and a portable version of the same thing would be much better....

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

Originally posted by Cereal:

Welp, leave it to Chip to know your Rocktron trivia. I sit corrected!

Not corrected, just an addendum....

One odd thing about Rocktron, it doesn't always behave when you put it in the rack with other gear. Both my pieces (intel blackface & replifex) give a bad 60 cycle hum when sharing space. Go figure. I've had to isolate them.

I bet the Replifex is the culprit because of the negative-ground programmable switching stuff it can do. I've not had any problems like that with either an Intellifex or a Voodu Valve (I don't think).

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

Originally posted by cerumen:

chip,

just one question...

thanks...

The Intellifex (Blackface) is wonderful. Very clean signal, too. If you're searching for one, maybe we can make a deal. I love mine, but I just haven't used it in quite some time. Email me if you're interested, cerumen

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Archived