Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Anybody Miss the Blues in Today's Music

cerumen

I was just thinking about SRV and in what direction his music and talent would've gone. Would it have gotten buried in a lot of today's crap or would it still stand out. Anyways, it got me to thinking how the blues or blues influence has been left out of today's music, especially the rock scene...

I thought it was funny too that the only one (it seems) out there still successful at pushing the blues or blues rock is Clapton....(Aerosmith too)...not like the old days... but they still carry it...

just my thought for the day

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Definately. Although the old 1-4-5 chord progression could get pretty old, there is still a lot of `blues' to be done with other chord progressions.

I especially enjoy the styles of music that are kinda sitting in the overlap between blues/jazz/rock/surf/rockabilly/southern rock/country. Not sure if there is an identifier for that genre better than that. Good examples include most of Brian Setzer's work, along with Southern Culture On The Skids songs like `chicken shit farmer' and `great atomic power'.

Although there are a few `newer' bands that have small bits of `bluesyness' in some songs (Pearl Jam, selected Creed songs), it is unfortunate that the real blue-mongers have been somewhat pushed into obscurity.

Clapton, Alvin Lee, ZZ Top, Dire Straits, ect.. and the outer fringes of it like Southern Culture On The Skids, Brian Setzer Orchestra, all tend to sit on the sidelines, and they all seem so disconnected from each other, instead of interwoven like days gone by.

Something tells me though, is that the blues will be somehow `rediscovered' in some new movement of its own, or as a component of a different style. Perhaps it isn't wishful thinking.

Dr. Seuss: The Original White Rapper

WWND?

I kinda think the blues, and it's influences, is just as healthy today as it's been. Sure, it's kinda sinusoidal...but the difference is in today's pop/rock that you hear on the radio, it's missing...but not in a lot of stuff that's out there. Government Mule...Derek Trucks, Doyle Bramhall...etc etc. Not a lot of airplay..."classic rock" stations are too into playing Boston, Skynrd, and the usual worn out crap...and the new stations are into Nickelback, Creed, Incubus etc. But, (evil grin)...we know better, don't we...???
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Excellent observation, Phaeton, I agree. It is boiling up again and someone is going to grab grab that cross blues/country/folk/newage/classical/pop bluesy thang. It will involve a Les Paul or a Strat to be sure. (and maybe an awesome Goldtone amp!) it's a comin'.

I'm not sure where you all are from, but I can definitely tell you that the blues is alive and well. At least here in SoCal. And that actually surprised me. In 2000 I started playing electric guitar and I decided that I wanted to play blues, even though I didn't have a whole lot of knowledge of it at the time. What I found was that there is a small but healthy blues community. You have to look for small clubs, festivals and some of the blues magazines like Blues Revue or Living Blues. Don't expect to find much on the radio though except for public radio, once or twice a week.

Don't get me wrong. Aside from BB, Buddy Guy and maybe a few others, there are no really big names out there. But some of the former backup players to the late greats are now fronting their own bands and touring regularly. Check some of those magazines, the web and local clubs and you'll find the blues people.

Well, I think that you have a lot of blues artists in the USA. They' re all playing in numerous festivals in and out the country all year long (but I guess, more in the summer). Blues has been very popular here in this part of Canada (Quebec) and we see a lot of people coming here to play in the summer. From Buddy Guy to Keb Mo, Susan Tedeschi to Little Anthony, Chris Duarte, etc. Some are great. Where I would agree is that there are maybe less blues influenced genre these days.

Originally posted by Marso:

Well, I think that you have a lot of blues artists in the USA. They' re all playing in numerous festivals in and out the country all year long (but I guess, more in the summer). Blues has been very popular here in this part of Canada (Quebec) and we see a lot of people coming here to play in the summer. From Buddy Guy to Keb Mo, Susan Tedeschi to Little Anthony, Chris Duarte, etc. Some are great. Where I would agree is that there are maybe less blues influenced genre these days.

amen.....however if you travel down to the deep south, especially Texas, the blues are up front and personal. I personally don't want big acts to do watered down blues, though The Cradle was pretty dang good.

Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

There are a TON of great blues-oriented rock bands out there right now, it's just that they're not mainstream classic rock like SRV was.

a few quick examples ...

Dirtbombs (and before that, the Gories)

Jon Spencer BX

Cheater Slicks

Bob Log III (and Doo Rag, before his solo career)

Bassholes (and before that, the Gibson Bros.)

Monkeywrench (and other Tim Kerr projects)

Check out indie labels like Crypt, Norton and In The Red for this kind of stuff ...

Archived