Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Lace Sensor ---- Holy Grail pickups

cerumen

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have Gold Lace Sensors on my Strat Plus and am thinking of replacing them. They are quiet, really scream on the high end for soloing but the overall tone, in my opinion, is kind of trembly.

I am thinking of going to some type of drop in humbuckers or to Dimarzio Virtual Vintage Heavy Blues pickups. Any suggestions? I play blues/rock predominantly.

Originally posted by Lancer:

I am thinking of going to some type of drop in humbuckers or to Dimarzio Virtual Vintage Heavy Blues pickups. Any suggestions? I play blues/rock predominantly.

DiMarzio Virtual Vintage Heavy Blues or DiMarzio Red Velvet are great for blues. I'm using Red Velvets and a Steve's Special Humbucker in the bridge of the guitar that I'm building.

Lace Sensors aren't bad pickups. They're fairly high-fi sounding and very clean - kind of like EMG SAs. Not what I would call "warm" sounding though. 10 years ago, they were the quietest passive single coils you could buy so that made them appealing. Obviously there are more choices now.

I always recommend the Red Sensor to anyone who wants a really high output bridge pickup and don't want to rout for a hummer. Those are great shred pickups.

"You never can vouch for your own consciousness." - Norman Mailer

The Lace Sensor pickups most people have heard are the standard models made for strat and tele replacement pickups... Blue, Red, Silver, Gold. I have a tele that I put Blue Tele pickups into and it sounds pretty good, not great. I agree with the somewhat "sterile" sound. But better than the stock Fender's... not as cool as other botique pickups... IMHO.

The "Holy Grail" pickups though are NOT these pickups.

The story is that there was a fire in a Fender guitar manufactoring site. One of the things that got "toasted" was a vintage 50's era strat. Parts of the guitar survived the fire, including the pickups... but the plastic pickguiard had melted completely over the pickups.

They pried the pickups out of the burned pickguard, and put them in another guitar... wired it up... and... Lo and behold, it sounded fantastic.

So, the guys at Fender gave the pickups to the pickup designer at Lace, with the task of analyzing and duplicating the sound of these pickups. Lace promotes the idea (and tells this story), that they did.

I've heard the pickups on a demo Squire strat at a local GC a year or so ago, and they sounded pretty good. I don't know if I've played them enough to say they're the "Holy Grail", but they're not at all the normal Lace Sensors, although they use much of the Lace patented technology.

To me, more hype than vibe. YMMV. :D

guitplayer

I'm still "guitplayer"!

Check out my music if you like...

http://www.michaelsaulnier.com

Archived