Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I think I'm buying a Taylor - How should I set it up!

beerlover

I'm really excited, and I sincerely hope you guys can help me on this one. I'm buying a Taylor, probably a 414 series (Grand Auditorium). I'm not sure, but should I buy it with the electronics built in, or should wait on that? If I do wait, how should I set up the amplification. Does Taylor put in an good undersaddle pickup?

Also, I'm not sure if I should get the back and sides made of Ovangkol or Koa. What should the top be made out of?

Last question, I've never had a cutaway, so is it worth it? Does it hurt? Lots of questions, but I'm sure you understand. Any input would be fabulous! Thanks!

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

beerlover,

Welcome to the MP site.

Taylor makes and ships more cutaway versions by far than any other. In their internal magazine, Bob Taylor was quoted as saying that they can't tell the sound difference between a cutaway and a non-cutaway version.

If you're really concerned about this, I'd bring a friend and do a "blind taste test". Pick out a couple of similar guitars with the only difference being the cutaway and have them play them for you with your eyes closed. You should quickly tell whether you can hear a difference or not.

Electronics are also very common in Taylor guitars due to demand. There are some who say the internal electronics module and the hole that gets cut into the guitar changes the tone. I personally don't agree.

Taylor has two levels of built in electronics, both by Fishman, one of the top electronics makers. The "lower-end" one only gets its signal from the under the bridge pickup. You'll see these on the 300 and 400 series guitars.

On the 500 series and up, you get the version that includes an internal mic that you can blend with the under the saddle pickup. If you can afford it, I would suggest the "higher" version.

You can add an "aftermarket" under the saddle pickup, or use sound hole pickups, or other choices. I'd probably prefer the integration of a factory installed system including the on the guitar controls which you probably won't intall on a aftermarket guitar.

Wood choices are somewhat a personal decision. Should I date a blond or a redhead? However, this year Taylor has a limited number of "special editions" with unique woods. The 414ce's with Koa are an example of this. Koa is a rare wood from Hawaii that is normally only available on their "high-end" guitars. Koa has a fairly bright tone, and is usually exceptionally beautiful. Only you can decide if you like the tone... again... try the "taste test". I can say that a Koa 414ce will probably retain its value better than the Ovankol ones because of both the demand of Koa in general and the limited edition status of these guitars in specific.

So, in summary, I'd buy a 514ce if I could afford it for the "higher" end electronics. If that doesn't work financially, I'd suggest the Koa 414ce with the electronics built in.

BTW, I have both a 414ce and a 714ce from this years "special edition" with the Cocobolo wood. It is remarkable in every way. :D

On a side note, I used to live in Madison. Where do you shop for Taylor guitars? Ward-Brodt? Is Ray's Music still around? I bought my first electric guitar from him many moons ago... Nothing like your first "baby".

Anyway good luck finding your Taylor in "MadCity".

guitplayer

I'm still "guitplayer"!

Check out my music if you like...

http://www.michaelsaulnier.com

guitplayer,

Madison has just one place where Taylors can be found. That is Madison Music (used to be on State Street, now on the beltline). They have a pretty wide selection, but I may end up ordering a brand new Taylor from the company. I wish there were more Taylor stores around here, though.

Later.

Originally posted by beerlover:

guitplayer,

Madison has just one place where Taylors can be found. That is Madison Music (used to be on State Street, now on the beltline). They have a pretty wide selection, but I may end up ordering a brand new Taylor from the company. I wish there were more Taylor stores around here, though.

Later.

beerlover,

If you decide to order a Taylor from other than Madison Music, I'd encourage you to try Buffalo Brothers in Carlsbad, CA. They're family owned, are great guys, and have an awesome upgrade deal.

For example, just a couple of months ago I was able to trade in a 1.5 year old Taylor 710BCE in on the 714ce I just got. Although the other guitar was nice, the new one is awesome. They gave me my full original cost credit on the old one, and all I had to pay was the difference in price and the tax. A Great deal! Most guitar shops would never dream of doing this... and time is not a factor... Instead of 1.5 years, I could have gone back in 5 years or whatever and got the same deal as long as my guitar continued to be in good condition.

www.buffalobrosguitars.com

BTW... I have NO connection to them other than a very happy customer.

guitplayer

I'm still "guitplayer"!

I'd highly recommend buying locally if you can find one you like. Buying a guitar sight unseen... I dunno. Sounds okay from a reputable dealer, except that I am a perfect example of buy-it-on-the-spot. I'll try to be brief.

I was drooling over a 514CE. I wanted to support the local dealer who I had bought other stuff from. But the owner made me kinda mad, so I called up Taylor to find a dealer who had a good selection. They referred me to a place a couple of hours away. My, they had 60 Taylors on display!

I went to the other dealer and played probably a dozen of them, maybe more. I had $2,200 cash in my pocket, anticipating buying the 514CE. But right at the last, I turned around and behind me, there was another Taylor. I asked the dealer to let me try that one. Within one minute, I said "This is the one. How much?" $1,250. SOLD. SOLD!

I had played Taylors costing up to $10,000 that day and this one, the low man on the totem pole, won! This is an awesome guitar. 310KCE. KCE = Koa, cutaway, electrified. I have the lowend Fishman and it sounds fine to me, although if I had the money, I'd probably spring for an upgrade if available.

I'd suggest buying locally if you can to support your local dealer. He'll likely match any reasonable demand you make. But if he doesn't have a good selection, go elsewhere. I am living proof of the value of buying a guitar only after you've played it. That day taught me that guitars, even among the same identical model, have different characteristics.

You'll love a Taylor! It changed my life! Blows me away how good this guitar is.

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

What a timely subject. Saturday I'm going to see a friend who's willing to part with his Limited Edition 25th Anniversary Dreadnought -XXV-DR, for a ridiculous price. Hopefully it's as great as he says it is. It has "sapele back and sides, and Sitka spruce top". No pick ups, which is fine by me.

Anyone familiar with this guitar or a Taylor like it give me your take. This'll be my first REAL acoustic. I need it mainly for recording. I have nine electrics. Can't wait for that lng drive on Saturday.

All the best,

Henry Robinett

I just bought a Taylor. The aforementioned Limited Edition 25th Anniversary Dreadnought -XXV-DR . It smokes. 1999. First with the new neck design. Beautiful. http://www.taylorguitars.com/guitars/models/xxvdr.html

Now I just have to go through our arsenal of mics and pres and find that perfect combination . . .

There's no pickup and at the time I wasn't interested in having one, but for those late night sessions at home, for some non-serious tracking, any ideas of a good sounding pu that I can have a pro install that doesn't require major surgery?

All the best,

Henry Robinett

Henry,

Congratulations on finding such a great guitar! That inlay looks beautiful and Taylor uses great wood on all of its Limited Edition guitars. It's amazing that it's your "first" acoustic, and I bet you will have a lifetime of fun.

If you find a recorded sound you like, make a recording and let us know where we can check it out.

You'll probably get hooked on acoustics and soon have a 12 string, "camping" guitar, nylon string, and acoustic-electric.

GAS. It's only a matter of time.

guitplayer

I'm still "guitplayer"!

Thanks! Yeah I'm envious of myself! I actually forgot. I DO have a couple of other acoustic guitars that bear little mention. I have an old Ovation 12 string that I'm going to see if anything can help it in terms of adjustments. It's very stiff and hard to play. And one of those little Martin Backpackers. Just a practice guitar while away from home or wathing TV with the family. But if I can get that Ovation in a playable condition I'd have a full compliment of guitars. Man! But those guitars just don't count.

All the best,

Henry Robinett

Archived