Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

SansAmp, Fisman,AG stomp...worth it?

Marso

I am looking to better the sound of my Takamine NP-15 in live situation. Is there any real good pre amp?

I'm doing a lot of live accoustic lately and I find that this guitar (when plugged) sounds thin, no meat. BTW, how good is a Taylor when plugged. (I mean, they do have pick ups, right?)

Thx

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Marso:

I am looking to better the sound of my Takamine NP-15 in live situation. Is there any real good pre amp?

I'm doing a lot of live accoustic lately and I find that this guitar (when plugged) sounds thin, no meat. BTW, how good is a Taylor when plugged. (I mean, they do have pick ups, right?)

Thx

It seems like all piezo pickups sound a bit thin. This is sometimes fine for strum parts, but if you finger pick or play classical styles, there isn't much full tone. I'd check some of the systems that use a small mic mounted inside the guitar. You also might want to invest in a really good eq to selectively add some warmth to your sound. The pre amp I use on acoustic guitar works great, but it ain't cheap; Avalon 737sm.

The idea of using an "acoustic amp" did'nt occured to me, could be a good idea and yes, Avalon is not your average acoustic guitar preamp and is less affordable than the other units I've mentionned but it would also be a great idea. (On the other hand, investing that amount of money would make me think about maybe buying a better acoustic. Takamines are'nt the most warm sounding guitar IMO, mine anyway)

That's why I was hoping to find something good in one of these gizmos. sigh.

Originally posted by Marso:

BTW, how good is a Taylor when plugged. (I mean, they do have pick ups, right?)

Thx

Most Taylors now ship with electronics. They use Fishman. On their entry level series, 300 and 400 the Fishman they use only has an under the saddle pickup.

On the 500 and up series, they use the one with both a under the saddle and an internal mic that you can blend with the saddle transducer. This tends to give a superior tone, although in high volume settings, I still find myself going back to exclusively the saddle pickups because of feedback problems with the mic.

The very "highest" level Taylors, the presentation series and so on, don't automatically ship with electronics, but you can special order them that way if you want.

Love my Taylors... I have a 714ce and a 414ce. Mmmmmm. Good.

guitplayer

I'm still "guitplayer"!

Check out my music if you like...

http://www.michaelsaulnier.com

My drummer let me use his Fender Acoustasonics. Didn't really do it for me? I've got pretty good results with a Pod Pro to Allen & Heath Mixing board to Mackie SRM450's. Also recorded pretty well into my Mac/ Digi setup.. Best I've got from anything yet. Seems to keep the level of the harmonics up there, so it doesn't seem to dead or blappy to me. Good acoustic electric sound with FX's especially cool. I'm still looking though. Something as close as possible to the acoustic transparency you get with microphones with out the positional and phase problems. I'm following this post with interest. I'd like to hear from anybody how well the AG stomp works. Also that new Seymour Duncan SA-6 (I believe that's the model #) the mag pickup with the mic built-in.

I really have to go check those Taylors out!

Thank you for your comments. In my case, I use a Line 6 delay modeler to "enlarge" my sound, in stereo wherever it's possible, and a Boss digital chorus in mono (both coming from my electric's rig).Not all the time of course! I achieve really cool sound with these guys but they also tend to kill the mids a little further more.

Since I have a Pod and amp farm at my disposal in studio and to my surprise ended up using them a lot more than I tought I would, I was hoping that the AG stomp would perform well too.(especially with their mic mod thing)

I also tought of adding an external pick up in the hole.

On a different subject, I met this recording engineer from UK a little while ago and he made me listen to Roy Harper's Stormcock album (an old thing...) WOW, now I know why Led Zep did a thing in his honor on their second album! I did'nt know the guy! (I must look profane...) You can tell where some of Led Zep influences are coming from when listening to him. (on their 3rd album, side two, acoustic stuff)

Archived