Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

anyone use supercollider?

i am making this really bitchen guitar synth in supercollider. its giving me a real headache! so far i have it working, i play my guitar into the computer and it comes out a synth sound (i'm taking the pitch and amplitude info and running a simple osc from it - there is NO actual guitar sound being used) i even added a noise gate so i can shut off the sound unless i play the guitar loud enough. this cuts way down on sound when i am not actually playing a note. i am working on a variable pitch shifter (ok, thats easy enough) and i have it "SORT OF" working. that is to say, the pitch shifter works, but i cant understand why when i default set the noise gate it affects the default set of the pitch shifter? it gave me a headache today and so i stopped for the night. [i]its really cool[/i] heres my code; and yes, i stole heaviliy from "pitch follow me" example ( var threshhold; var thresholdslider; var pitchshift; var pitchshiftslider; pitchshift = 1; threshhold = 1; if ( not( w.isKindOf(GUIWindow) ) or: { w.name.postln != "Coasters" }, { w = GUIWindow.new("synth", Rect.new( 128, 64, 528, 264 )); SliderView.new( w, Rect.new( 17, 39, 227, 58 ), "SliderView", 1, 0, threshhold, 0, 'linear'); SliderView.new( w, Rect.new( 17, 16, 227, 35 ), "SliderView", 1, 0, pitchshift, 0, 'linear'); StringView.new( w, Rect.new( 233, 16, 361, 36 ), "Noise Gate"); w.onClose = { w = nil; }; },{ w.toFront; }); # pitchshiftslider, thresholdslider = w.views; { var in, freq, hasFreq, amp, sig; in = Mix.ar(AudioIn.ar([1,2])); amp = Amplitude.kr(in, 0.1) thresh: thresholdslider.kr; #freq, hasFreq = Pitch.kr(in); sig = OnePole.ar( [ Mix.arFill(8, { LFSaw.ar(freq * (pitchshiftslider.kr + 0.003.rand2), amp) }), Mix.arFill(8, { LFSaw.ar(freq * (pitchshiftslider.kr + 0.003.rand2), amp) }) ], 0.95) * 0.3; sig = CombN.ar(sig, 0.31, [0.3, 0.31], 6, 0.6, sig); 6.do({ sig = AllpassN.ar(sig, 0.050, [0.050.rand,0.050.rand], 6) }); sig }.play ) //// it works, but the sliders arent working right. either slider alone works fine, but addingthe second slider fucks everything up with the other slider?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Okay, I'll bite. I'm assuming supercollider is some sort of synth making environment that allows you to input audio as a trigger? :confused: . Gimme a link. Code always impresses me, but object based drag and drop stuff is more my cup-o-tee. It looks a little like javascript with the declaring of variables and syntax junk. People who code have too much time on their hands... Get a job! :D

The title of this post made me wonder -- what is being done with the tunnels they started digging for the superconducting supercollider in Texas before they pulled the plug on it? Might make an some awesome audio environment...

AlChuck said: [quote] The title of this post made me wonder -- what is being done with the tunnels they started digging for the superconducting supercollider in Texas before they pulled the plug on it? Might make an some awesome audio environment... [/quote]Are you talking about one of those cool atom smashers? They make this huge ring with magnetic coils around the perimeter accelerating a particle through magnetic fluctuations in a loop to collide with another one and examine the spray. They liken the work to smashing a Swiss watch into pieces and trying to find out how it was put together just by looking at the debris. I didn't know we had one in the states. You'd have to be really quarky to get into that line of work.

[quote][b]I didn't know we had one in the states.[/b][/quote]Sure, we have several, we started the whole thing. There's FermiLab in the Chicago area, and the Stanford Lineral Accelerator here in the SF Bay area... There was a project in the 80's to build a really huge one in Texas, and they actually started working on building it when Congress decided that it cost too much and pulled the plug.

I messed around with supercollider a bit, but never got very far with it. I like learning things with the manual, :freak: and that's tough with that program. I did do some messing around with downloaded code like you're doing, but I figured that I'd never create anything that was both useful and original. I think I found out about it here at SSS, before I was a member. I tried a search though, and only found this thread.

Archived