Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Giutar Pick-Ups

701dennis

Can anyone tell me what the difference is between "classic '57 humbuckers and PAF '57 humbuckers. Which on is more desirable and why? Any info anyone can provide me with on this would be greatly apprecicated!

Thanks

Dennis

bossadennis@hotmail.com

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply
PAF stands for patent applied for, supposedly. I think they are a hotter pickup for high gain amps. Whereas the classic is the regular wound pickups designed to sound like original equipment back in the day.
Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

Gibson made the first Humbuckers in the 50's. They had a Patent Applied For decal on the bottom of the pickup. These are the original "Burst" Pickups. Collectors refer to them as PAF's or "Patent applied fors." Originals are highly prized and sell for big bucks 800-2,500 apiece!

Gibson reissued the PAF in 93 and called it the Classic 57 as Dimarzio allready has a PAF Model,(the first PAF copy). The 57 Classic has a Nickle or Gold cover, and Alnico II magnet, and is similar to the original in tone and construction.

There is no 57 PAF model officialy unless it is a real 1957 which would not bear the decal.

DiMarzio, Duncan, Holmes, and Fralin all offer versions of this classic pickup.

The PAF has a clear defind tone with a certain woody hollowness and a pronounced doubletone. Think power and clarity. These are not Hotwinds made for high gain amps. They typicly read out around 7.8k-8.8k giving moderate outout with a good balance of highs and lows and controlled mids.

Archived