Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The singles scene

Skip_dup1

I have been looking to go all-tube-finally-next year.I recently came across some info on an amp head by THD that would seem to be just about what I`m looking for. You can use any combination of preamp and power amp tubes without rebiasing-just pop one type out, pop the other in. It`s 15 watts-not really a club setup-but it only has a single power output tube. 15 watts is still 15 watts, I know-but what are the drawbacks of just one tube? would it be more prone to frying or that hi-gain effect-rectifier `sag`?

Comments much appreciated.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by skip:

would it be more prone to frying or that hi-gain effect-rectifier `sag`?

Comments much appreciated.

You don't want rectifier sag?

If you *do* get a Fender Blues Junior....

If not... hmmm...

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

You might be surprised, alot of 15 watters are more than enough to crank up at the clubs. Also watts to loudness is not incremental the way you think it is. I can make a singer hoarse and deaf with just my little Pro Jr. It cranks with the right guitar. Check out the Soldano Atomic 16.......I hear its the sheeeeit.
Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

Ya, the folks at Cornford are supposed to have distribution in Japan, but I`ve had no luck tracking one down so far. On the other hand, I have a friend who goes to England regularly, he`s going to check things out for me in Feb.-I want a closer look at their 20 watter-WAY too expensive here.

Originally posted by Chip McDonald:

You don't want rectifier sag?

If you *do* get a Fender Blues Junior....

If not... hmmm...

Well I just checked back with my source-I must stand corrected

. It certainly is a good thing. Anyway, any further thoughts on the single tube situation? I`m going to have to continue this in a few days-flying outta here tomorrow.

Originally posted by skip:

...so it`s a good thing? I thought it meant delayed attack, muddy chords, that sort of thing. No?

Well... yeah! As an effect it's something you can't really get out of a pedal (there *is* a trick, but...).

The thing is, as I was mentioning with the Blues Junior, if you turn that amp up really loud it gives you *options*. You can get the sag if you hit it hard - you get beyond-infinity compression effects, cool timbral effects. BUT - lighten your touch and it does a typical Fender pushed-clean thing. Run it a little lower and you get a normal clean sound, with less sag when you hit it, but...

The point is you get that option, which is really cool for certain things. Not cool at all for metal, but....

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

I jammed with a guy using a Pro Jr. once. It definately has the arse end crank when you turn it up. Both the Pro Jr. and my 15 watt Boog will easily keep up with the volume of a loud drum set. Unless you're on a huge stage, why would you ever need more volume than that?

I always figured a pair or Pro Jr's. would be really sweet with a stereo pedal board deal.

Archived