Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Ever wipe down acoustic strings after playing?

kudyba

I don't know if it's the set of strings that I've been using as of late--Peavey Phosphor Bronze--but every time I finish playing--even a brand spankin' new set--I wipe down the strings and the rags I use get BLACK! Is this normal? Do you guys wipe your strings down after playing your axes? I don't notice so much blackness on my electrics after wiping them down...but I've read in more than 1 place that wiping down after playing extends string life...

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wiping down your strings extends string life by wiping away dirt and oils from your sweat. When the winds get filled with these particles and oil, it dampens the string vibrations and, hence, the timbre. I use Elixir's because they start out with another substance (by Gore) in the winds. This substance doesn't deaden the string much, in comparison with normal strings, and it keeps dirt an oil from being much of a factor over a long string life. They really work.

As for the black residue on your Phosphor Bronze strings, I can only assume it is tarnish from oxidation. I'm not an expert, by any means, so get another opinion on that one!

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Some guitar makers use a dye to darken the rosewood or ebony fretboard. I've had some guitars that made my fingertips black after an hour or two of playing. It would make sense that some of this would get on the strings, and would then get on your rag as you wipe down.

guitplayer

I'm still "guitplayer"!

Check out my music if you like...

http://www.michaelsaulnier.com

Yeah this is an older (basically a POS) Washboard that sits on a stand. I do usually wipe the board down with lemon oil when I change my strings but it's just weird to see all that "blackness" come off the strings...

Originally posted by kudyba:

Yeah this is an older (basically a POS) Washboard that sits on a stand. I do usually wipe the board down with lemon oil when I change my strings but it's just weird to see all that "blackness" come off the strings...

It's a combination of dirt, dead skin, I think a light oil they put on new strings to prevent oxidation, and oxidation/corrosion itself.

Mostly dirt/skin, though.

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

Here's a trick I've used for year's.Squirt a little WD-40 on a rag, wrap tightly around the string and wipe back and forth until clean. Repeat if necessary. Be careful not to get any on fret board or guitar. This cleans the string and provides lube. I use this on the acoustic and the electric guitar, even the bass. Works better than String Ease. I usually do this after I play the guitar, before I put it in the case.That takes off the oil, salt and dirt from your hands, and leaves the strings clean and protected from tarnishing. Alleecat :]

Archived