Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Keyboard player needs to buy a guitar for xmas

Postman

I want to buy my 9 year old kid a electric guitar for Christmas. I play keys, so I while I know something about the different models, I don't know enought to judge what would be the best for an absolute beginner (for less than, say, $500, if possible). I'm told that there are different scales(?) of fretboard, that Gibson is slightly smaller? Is that important? I know I'm being vague here, but any advice would be much appreciated.

Oh, and is a Pignose still considered a decent mini-amp?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's a lot to pick from in the sub-$500 range.

But, for a 9 year old, keep in mind you're dealing with small hands, and no calluses. It might make sense to get a 3/4 scale acoustic with nylon strings as a starter. That way your son can get over the physical hurdles easier and you can see if he's really going to stick with it. There's going to be some "bad" before there's some "good" and I've found that dexterity in kids is sometimes an issue. Nylon strings won't hurt his fingertips too much, and several makers have 3/4 scale versions.

Just a little info, scale length has to do with the length of the neck and therefore the distance between the frets. It's true that Gibson's have a shorter scale length than Fender's but I'm not sure a 9 year old is ready for either...

Maybe the most important thing is to find a good teacher. If you can find a starter guitar for say $300, then spend the other $200 on lessons. Or vice versa. After that, you'll have some idea whether you should do more.

As far as Pignoses are concerned, they're still made, are kinda cool for a little "bedroom" amp, but certainly would not be used for much beyond that. Again, I'd suggest an acoustic and go for the amp later.

Maybe you should look for the teacher first, see what they suggest, and then go from there.

Good Luck.

guitplayer

I'm still "guitplayer"!

Check out my music if you like...

http://www.michaelsaulnier.com

OK, great, thanks very much. I talked to a teacher in the meantime and he said pretty much the same thing as you did, so now I have at least some confidence as I head off to Guitar Center. Now if I can just get a salesman who knows what he's talking about...

Originally posted by Postman:

OK, great, thanks very much. I talked to a teacher in the meantime and he said pretty much the same thing as you did, so now I have at least some confidence as I head off to Guitar Center. Now if I can just get a salesman who knows what he's talking about...

Ho, Ho, Ho...

guitplayer

I'm still "guitplayer"!

Check out my music if you like...

http://www.michaelsaulnier.com

When I was about 10 (and Elvis was in the Army), I wanted to learn guitar. My parents rented me a Harmony archtop from the local music store and I started lessons. The action on that guitar was so high and the strings so heavy that I was reduced to tears trying to practice. I lasted less than two weeks. Compared to keys, you must have a certain strength and of course, callouses to play guitar. Nylon strings might be the ticket, but don't get discouraged or let your kid feel down if it's not yet time. I'd be interested to know when some players started, as for me it was another seven years before I tried again.

good luck,

Henry

He not busy being born

Is busy dyin'.

...Bob Dylan

Archived