Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

prs intonation

Marso

I would like to know if other prs owners find their instrument difficult to tune. I mean that it never seem to be be really in tune. Even after a good set up done by a highly qualified tech. The g and b are always wrong somewhere between open and 5th fret. I have a custom 24. Is it that 2 octave scale that is making it so difficult?? I have a few strats also and the one guitar that is the most reliable regarding overall tuning is, believe it or not, an Epiphone Lucille.

Regards

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 2 octave scale has nothing to do with it, I mean, the

1/2 way point is still 'half way' when calibrating.(I believe most guitars are either 24 3/4" or 25 1/4" length, no matter how many frets)

A quick test to check the set-up is 1. make sure you're in-tune the best you can, hit a 'harmonic' on the 12th fret (of the strings in question)and then hit the same string 'fretted' on the 12th fret. The tones should be exactly the same, if not, the guitar needs to be set-up again.

Matt

In two days, it won't matter.

Building on a previous reply from Hippie dated 12/10/01 I would check and adjust the string length (i.e intonation adjustment) as needed. To do this, first put on a new set of strings (old strings will not intonate well) and stretch them out and then, using an electronic tuner, tune each string of the guitat to pitch. Now for each string lightly touch the string at the 12th fret (i.e. octave) and pluck it to play the harmonic. Adjust the tuning of the string so that the harmonic is in tune on the tuner. Now depress the same string at the 12th fret and pluck it and note any difference of pitch on the tuner. If the pitch is different, adjust the string length of that string as follows:

1. If the depressed string is sharp compared to the harmonic, the string is too short. Lengthen the string by moving the bridge saddle closer to the rear of the guitar and check the tuning again. Repeat adjustment as needed until the depressed 12th fret and it's harmonic "sound" the same on the tuner.

2. If the depressed string is flat compared to the harmonic, the string is too long. Shorten the string by moving the bridge saddle closer to the head of the guitar and check the tuning again. Repeat adjustment as needed until the depressed 12th fret and it's harmonic "sound" the same on the tuner.

Repeat the above for all 6 strings and then go back and do a double check and adjust if needed.

This process will get you to an optimum set-up with respect to overall tuning of the guitar but remember that a guitar is really an imperfect instrument with respect to tuning in that truly perfect tuning is really not possible. However, the above method usually works to the point that it is easy on the ears.

Let me guess, you replaced the strings that came with the PRS with something heavier, right? Those damn wrap around bridges. Next time, get a guitar with saddles that can be adjusted individually. PRS puts them on their Hollowbodies because they assume that people will play them with thicker strings.

Well, first let me thank all of you for your help. Many thanks for the tips on how to adjust the intonation, but, I knew that already (altough I am sure this will help many people reading it)and, my axe does have separates saddles for each strings. My point is, even when the Prs is in perfect condition,(straight out from the "luthier") it is one the most difficult guitar to tune...when it sounds o.k. for an A chord at the 5th fret it is out of tune for an open D, and so on...

I always have to cheat a little here and there in order to achieve some not-so-bad-overall-tuning. Sure the floating bridge does'nt help! I was just wondering if I was the only Prs owner having this sort of problem.

Archived