Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What is Skiffle music?

LiveMusic

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,Duke, how the hell are you?

You know if it wasn't for all your questions,this forum would be a lot quieter......keep up the good work. ;)

In answer to your question,a skiffle group was your VERY basic (mostly because of lack of money)rock n' roll group in the fifties and early sixties in Britain.

Comprising of an acoustic guitar,somebody strumming a washboard( for rhythm and percussion)and for the bass....a tea chest with a piece of string extending from it atttached to a floor brush pole for that picking and slapping style favoured by double bass players....I shit you not!

Voila! there you have it a rockn'roll combo that didn't cost anything!I suppose they were the first punks then when i come to think about it,you know, do it yourself sort of thing.

Lonnie Donegan was the most famous to use this method and even had several chart hits with it!

Hugo...

well if you really want to go back, Mozart could be considered the first punk since he turned away from the whole patronage system of his day and died broke for it... but whatever.

Interesting tidbit: Jimmy Page's first TV appearance was at the age of 14 playing in a skiffle combo.

Probably the biggest skiffle hit was 'Rock Island Line' by Lonnie Donnegan. (sorta 'cowpunk' sounding, cool tune). I believe this was an American blues/country song originally.

Matt

In two days, it won't matter.

Originally posted by Hippie:

Probably the biggest skiffle hit was 'Rock Island Line' by Lonnie Donnegan. (sorta 'cowpunk' sounding, cool tune). I believe this was an American blues/country song originally.

Matt

That would be the man in black, Johnny Cash and the Tennesee Two.....

Remember the song "Honeycomb"? Typical Skiffle

Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

Archived