Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New speaker for Ampeg ?

Mats Olsson.

I've just purchased an Ampeg J-12T.

There was some rattling from the back of the cabinet at first but some foam strips took care of that problem (I can't believe they build 'em like this, must be a common problem).

I really like this amp a lot but I'm sure it could be even better with some tweaking.

What can be done?

First thing that comes to mind is to switch the speaker for something better.

Any ideas/suggestions?

/Mats

http://www.lexam.net/peter/carnut/man.gif

What do we want? Procrastination!

When do we want it? Later!

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Mats

I got this amp and did a couple of things to fix the tone. Put a v30 in it for starts. Then I yanked out the stupid little reverb tank and put a 17" in. Last week I pulled a 12au7 and 12ax7 from my old Hammond organ and placed them in the Jet in that order of gain stage. The 12au7 gives me good headroom. Lose the Sovteks they're rather brittle sounding. My amp rattles a little but the tone is now excellent.

Try playing your amp in a different room. I had a rattle that I thought was coming out of my amp and it ended up being an object on the wall. Even after I discovered this it just amazed me how it sounded like it came from the amp.

Buddy

Celestrion {sp.} Vintage 30..Same speakers they put in some of the Marshall amps{mostly combos}..And now alot of others are useing it..

Its a good sounding speaker and can handle, I think about 80w rms

Don

[ 11-24-2001: Message edited by: dondottcomm ]

What? you mean I can take this block of fine swiss and make a song??...COOL!

Don

Archived