Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

80's guitar effects

cerumen

I'm looking for a unit that'll have most of the popular 80's effects....any recommendations?

I used to use the korg A3..

Is there a similar unit out there?

not looking to spend Eventide dollars on the thing...

i'd say somewhere between 200-500 dollars...

thanks...

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by cerumen:

I used to use the korg A3..

A friend just sold one of those for $200....

A used Quadraverb - $100...

If I didn't require Rocktron's Intellifex 8 voice chorus I'd rather just use a Line6 delay modeler. Do you need digital reverb for guitar in general?

Unless you really want that "GTR Digitech cheez wiz" sound.... You don't want that, do you?

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

chip, maybe that was me...

i bought another A3 in the summer cause mine

died.... and, well....this one didn't last too long either..

it's dying too....

basically... i've been out of the "effects"

scene for a while and am not to caught up on it..

i'd like to get a box that has most if not all

the cool studio gtr sounds...

last box i remember checking out was the roland gp-100...

any comments on that one.?

i'm actually thinking of just spending the money and get an eventide....never really heard any complaints on that one..

last box i remember checking out was the roland gp-100...

any comments on that one.?

i'm actually thinking of just spending the money and get an eventide....never really heard any complaints on that one..

Hmmm. Well, I've never liked digital reverb on guitar, or digital chorus (except as volume swells)... These days I'd rather have the Line6 pedals than rack gear. The Eventide works great as one shot deals from what I've gathered, they're not easily programmable. The GP100... uhg.

The way I'd look at it is either from a super-quality standpoint or from a simplicity/ease of use standpoint. The Line6 pedals when on the simplicity/ease of use (and for guitar they're better sound wise IMO)... Reverb, find some old Lexicon LXP 1's or 5's, or an LXP15 and get a one space mixer to buss them , then scrape up some of those first Korg digital delays with the midi presets, or Roland SDD-series delays... For modulation effects... uhg. Hmm. 1st generation SPX90 set to "Symphonic" for chorusing, again bussed through a mixer, although again I'd prefer the new Line6 rackmount modulation unit.

I wouldn't want my guitar signal to go through any of the old-school digital gear. There's 89,909 different multieffects out now, but the problem I hear is that they all have a dominant "sound" that generi-fies your sound.... Again, save the Line6 stuff. Get a POD or POD Pro and use it just for the effects...

Rocktron Intellifex still does multi-tap chorusing better than anything.... I wish Line6 would wake up and put that in a pedal (although make it a sim of 8 *different* makes of delay for more complexity in sound, the only downside to the Intellifex).

...although really, if you want "80's effects", just round up a bunch of old Yamaha SPX series units and run them through a mixer. That's as "80's" sounding as it gets - instant Alex Lifeson from _Power Windows_... Throw in some cheap eq's wacked out, instant George Lynch...

i'm glad you mentioned the volume swell things...

that's what i'm mostly looking for...

that cool Mike Landau fade in effect

Ahhh, really? You'll have to find a Tristereo Chorus then for authentic value, BUT - just get a Rocktron Intellifex and set it for the 8 voice chorus. Trust me.

Archived