Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Why won't my guitar stay in tune all of a sudden

LiveMusic

My Taylor acoustic is giving me fits. I can't keep it in tune. I can't imagine my ear going bad all of a sudden. Seems like something is wrong. I don't like to play when it's not in good tune and I'm giving up in despair. I have Elixir light strings and they're about six months old. I guess some people would cringe at that age, huh? Could that be it? Do they suddenly "die?" I've been wanting to change them anyway but just haven't done it.

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Chip McDonald:

The weather where I live is completely random at the moment, guitars are having fits. Hot, cold, dry, humid, whatever from day to day.

Amen....same thing here in Virginia

Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

Originally posted by Joe Egan:

Make sure you keep your Taylor is in its case when not being used and keep it humidified.

Joe

Joe, do you really think that's necessary? I live in Louisiana; goes that make any difference. FWIW, my Taylor sits beside my computer chair, upright in a guitar stand, and I just reach over and grab it several times a day to play. I know Taylor recommends as you say but I don't know if I'd do that. If I get convinced it's necessary, I guess I'll do it but it sure does screw up my spontaneity.

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

I doubt there`s a shortage of humidity in Louisiana, but weather concerns should be suspect number two on your list (after strings). It`s the fluctuations that cause problems. That`s why music stores have temp and humidity-controlled rooms for fine acoustics.

Archived