Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Recording guitars

Mr. Voldad

I am from uruguay, so my english is not the best.

I am trying to record distorted guitars to my PC, I need to know which is the best way to rec direct to PC and which is the most apropieted equipment for that. Thank you very much for your help

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've been using a POD v.2 with a Roger Mayer Stone Fuzz lately. Sometimes I use an Ibanez Tube Screamer also with one of the Marshall simulations or the Soldano sim. There are several POD-like products now like the Johnson J-Station or the Behringer V-amp.

Mac Bowne

G-Clef Acoustics Ltd.

Osaka, Japan

Originally posted by Mr. Voldad:

I need more replies. Thank you

Well man there are thousands of examples I'm sure, everything from taping the cheap headphones of a Rockman to a SM58, or putting a mic in a piece of pvc with the other end toward the speaker cone giving a flanging kind of sound, or the ole numero uno....a SM57 close micd slightly offset from the center of the speaker cone.......

I like using room mics as well in conjunction with your close mic technique. Or use any of the above in conjunction with two or three more amps split from one guitar.

I'd say experiment.....there really ain't no wrong way, whatever you like to hear. I do know if you're recording to a digital format, I'd suggest running your SM57 through a tube mic pre to fatten it up a bit. I like the old way of just close mic'ing a smoking little combo, and doubling or tripling the track from there.

Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

Well I think the question was about recording direct without and amp/mic. But, I'll continue on the train of thought begun . . .

I'm primarily a jazz player who sometimes finds the need to get that overdriven sound. So I've never been king of the distortion tone particularly, but I HAVE found some great sounds. I have an old Seymour Duncan Convertible I still think is the bomb for getting those great tones. It has swap-able tubes and circuit boards to help dial in that specific tone, plus a power soak/variable power knob; triode/pentode. I love this amp for any kind of distortion. Anyone know where I can get more modules PLEASE let me know!

But along the similar lines check out the Emery Sound Low watt guitar amps. - www.emerysound.com. It comes with a series of tubes. You provde the speaker. Great, KILLER sound at low volume! As far as mics my favorite for guitar is a Royer 121 ribbon.

But if I have to go direct and avoid and amp I use a Sansamp rackmount. I've used other peoples PODs but, I don't know. I haven't found much I like about them. I do know a lot of folks who swear by them though.

All the best,

Henry Robinett

Originally posted by BobSanders:

I get better results when I mic amps than going direct. Moving some air between the speaker and the mic gives it some life. Reverb added after that sounds better to my ears.

I concur. I have tried the Pod, simulating my Marshall JCM 800 50w and then recorded the same track with my real gear miked and I find that there is the "real" sound and the "simulated" sound. Go for the real. You may be wanting to go direct for volume purposes but any decent amp with a master volume should work fine. Don't simulate if you have the real thing.

Archived