Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Favorite techniques for making strange noises!

Lee Flier

Hook up a distorion box or anything with some punch and use a metal slide around your pickups and bridge both sliding and bowing. Get some fast action going on the bowing. Throw in some chorus for some sonic cross hatching. Usually gets some intense sci-fi horror sounds. You can get some one hand fretboard movement behind it too. Make sure your not hurting you dogs ears.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Lee Flier:

And sorry Dan, no weird noises for you, you know I only like drummers... and my new, uhh, E-Bow. LOL!!!

But Lee, I SOLD all of my drum machines! I'm on the road to recovery!! Doesn't that count?? ;)

Reeves Gabrels does a whole video interview while demonstrating his repertoire of vibrator tricks. He's using a VG-88 as well and he gets some wacky sounds. My recent favorite is using a two handed technique to play these wierd middle eastern sounding riffs. I use heavy distortion and flanger and some delay on it. It's kind of an electric oud effect. I saw David Torn do this kind of thing years ago. Speaking of wierd sounds check out some of Torn's stuff- wow. :eek:

Mac Bowne

G-Clef Acoustics Ltd.

Osaka, Japan

This is similar to the trick that d gauss recommended, but the result is somewhat different: Take a strip of paper (wax paper might work well too -- Haven't tried it yet), and then thread it over and under every other string near the bridge area. I've only tried this with an acoustic -- not electric -- but the result sounds quite a bit like a banjo.

Hi,

Here is one: cross the E string over the A string at 5fret (you can go higher or lower)hit the strings and then rise the volume. The result should be bell tone(vary the amount of distortion by taste).

get yourself an old Egmond(I´m not shure if I spell it right) guitar plug it in amp and sing through the pickups.

Cheers

bb

Archived