Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Acoustic guitar pickups

Kevin F

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Kevin F:

Hey,

I need to put a pickup on my acoustic for some live shows (I usually mic) and was wondering what types others have used and how well they sound.

Any suggestion? (type, brand, best for the cash)

1) They all sound like crap.

2) Except the Sunrise, which costs a fortune.

3) Sometimes the Baggs sounds less squawky than others.

4) I've heard good things about the new Dean Markely pickup

5) If you've gotten away with using a mic you probably should continue to do so. I wish I could...

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

I have that Sunrise in my Guild 12-string. Although it does sound great the output is REALLY low. So a preamp, e.g., even one of those cheap SignalFlex 3-band that plugs in via a 1/4" or an acoustic amp like a Trace is recommended...

I just tried the McIntyre Feather pickup and it sounds incredible. Very very natural sounding. It requires a preamp though. Note! Make sure your acoustic has a flat bridge plate. My Ovation didn't and I couldn't put it in that one. You can find them on the web. Really nice folks. Try it. It has a money back guarantee.

[ 11-02-2001: Message edited by: SoulTower ]

well guess what? there is a pickup that i just installed, and i cannot believe how close to sounding natural that, even in a martin guitar, is great!its called www.pick-uptheworld.com i have never heard any as good! i have allways used a 451 akg mic for guitar mandolin and fiddle.the pickup is made from space technology material. but simple, you stick it on the bridge plate, in side the guitar. it does not interfere with the saddle or the vibration like the fishman or any you put beneath the saddle.you can place it in several different spots to your liking.i use a preamp to boost the signal. you can practice putting it on the top of your guitar to hear what its going to sound like.you get a roll of very thin double faced tape that you put on the pickup.after a couple times of removing pickup the tape needs to be replaced.you need a hole drilled for the end pin but thats standard for most pickups.i am so tired of guitars that sound like shit.this pickup is 100 bucks.good luck. bill

Archived