Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

where do i start?

hainesy05

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IMO the best way BAR NONE to learn is to find a teacher. Most people who try to figure it out by themselves quit out of frustration.

Just one man's opinion.

Good luck! :D

So Many Drummers. So Little Time...

IMO- dont find a teacher and just listen to what you like and try to adapt what you hear to that thing you got.

i'm not a big fan of the 'marsalis's' but, brother brandon(sp?) said once that the best teacher he ever had and where he learned to play was in his front room w/ his axe listening to records and applying what he heard to his instrument. i concur. if frustration sets in, well i guess that thang w/ strangs aint fer you!

s

AMPSSOUNDBETTERLOUDER

Guitar is the only instrument where I see such a large percentage of of musicians that feel that musical education is not preferrable. I disagree stongly with this opinion, but to each his own.

I taught guitar lessons for several years and without exception my students felt they made much faster progress with lessons then they did "on their own".

KNOWLEDGE IS KING

LADY LUCK IS QUEEN...

So Many Drummers. So Little Time...

Originally posted by KHAN:

Guitar is the only instrument where I see such a large percentage of of musicians that feel that musical education is not preferrable. I disagree stongly with this opinion, but to each his own.

I taught guitar lessons for several years and without exception my students felt they made much faster progress with lessons then they did "on their own".

KNOWLEDGE IS KING

LADY LUCK IS QUEEN...

Way to go, Khan!

If you don't believe us, perhaps you'd take this information from Steve Vai, or Segovia, or a host of others who used school as what it's supposed to be.. a tool to progress. Would you want a surgeon to operate after learning by reading and watching from afar? Of course not. A good teacher acts as an experienced set of eyes and ears to assist you in your progression. If you want to reinvent the wheel, so be it. But don't complain if it takes you twice or three times as much effort to master a technique. Be sure your teacher is acting in your best interests, not just teaching "by the book", but find a reputable teacher and LEARN! The encouragement alone will keep you far more interested when you begin to get frustrated!

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Originally posted by Chip McDonald:

If you *know* you don't need lessons then you may not.

If you don't know for sure - then you definitely do.

(Oh, now this is HIGHLY annoying: I am sitting here for 45 seconds waiting for FLOOD CONTROL to allow me to post my edited response. It shouldn't take more than a few seconds to prevent a bounced keystroke, should it?

Ahhg.. not only that, but it bounced me back to a *non-edited* version of my message, I almost didn't notice! Ahhg... Is this neccessary? )

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

Hilarious! The flood-control feature created a double post! I assumed I was still editing my previous message above, but apparently when FLOOD CONTROL activates it creates a new message? Very counter-intuitive...

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

Although I'm mostly self taught I've had the benefit of some lessons from time to time over the years. Most of the stuff I learned was from watching or listening to other players or asking them to show me stuff. I admit to having had some classical violin lessons when I was a kid but I tried not to let that be an obstacle! One thing to remember though is that a lot of the guys we consider genius's didn't have any lessons. Hendrix, Wes Montgomery, Les Paul, Joe Pass, SRV, and a lot of others were all self taught. I kinda wonder if Steve Vai is a good recommendation for formal study. I know he's a killer guitarist but I don't really enjoy listening to him much. Rock guitar is after all a folk music form and that's why we see so many self taught players perhaps. Self instruction is in the tradition of folk music after all.

Mac Bowne

G-Clef Acoustics Ltd.

Osaka, Japan

One thing to keep in mind is that those folks who didn't take lessons DID have teachers, if not in the sense that most think of them. SRV for example didn't take lessons, but if you think he didn't have a teacher in his brother Jimmie Vaughan and all those other cats he saw and jammed with that showed him things your mistaken.

If you have good guitar players around that will take the time to show you things you may not need to take *lessons*. But if you don't go out and find a teacher right away. Just be sure you *click* with them, a bad teacher or even a good one that just doesn't click with you can turn you off playing really quick. But a good teacher that you DO click with will have you playing things that will blow yourself away in short order if you put in the practice time.

I need help i've had this wooden thing with six strings on it for years

i'm sure a look in your local yellow pages will find several places that will restring your old-school tennis racquet. :D

seriously, points have made about finding a teacher or teaching oneself, but hainsey said that he/she wants to try to teach him/herself.

i've seen some of the sites gatorwing mentioned, you'll find some good starter tips there. there are also many good books available (mel bay, etc), your local music store will be able to suggest the right one for you. also, if you have friends who play guitar, sit around and play with them

if you made a list of your favorite rock guitarists, i'll bet that half of them were self-taught. no shame in that.

i'm sure there are also many great guitarists in australia, one of them will be able to give you a few helpful lessons.

definitely no shame in that.

_

[ 11-01-2001: Message edited by: wager47 ]

Archived