Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Weekly Improv is back

Fingerstyle_Jim

After a hiatus of several months I have resumed my project of recording an improvised fingerstyle piece and uploading it each week for all to hear, warts and all. I call it "Weekly Improv" at:

http://ampcast.com/sologuitar

Feedback is welcome, Saturdays are the day I update,

Jim in Canada

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good job Jim. I like the version of Greensleeves you did. That's one of the songs I'm working on from a piano transcription I have.

I see that you're influences include Jimmy Page and Steve Hackett. Those are definitely my big ones on guitar. I learned S. Hacketts "Horizons" after finding the transcription off the internet. That was one of the first pieces I tried learning after buying my classical guitar about 6 weeks ago....there's nothing like a challenge !

I like the concept of your weekly improv. Keep it up.

Originally posted by gatorwing@aol.com:

Awesome! You and Chip should get together.

Hey Jim, come on down let's jam.. Let's see, we're only about.. 2,000 miles apart.

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

I'll be down next time I have a few minutes?!?, but seriously folks, mp3.com has progressively disenchanted me over the past several months. The first sign of trouble was the premium artist thing, but the new P4P rules would have cost me money to stay on. In reality mp3.com does little or nothing to get people to an artists page so what they are asking is for the artist to pay them and do all the work. I have cancelled my premium artist status and cut back to 4 songs that can't be downloaded and moved most of my online presence to ampcast.com for now. They allow me to upload a new track each week for the 'Weekly Improv' and so far it seems to be a pretty good site. As a full time musician I learned a long time ago not to count on one thing for income, I spread myself out by teaching, performing, selling CD's, the odd extra like royalties and internet income are as yet a small part.

Jim

Originally posted by Chip McDonald:

Hey Jim, come on down let's jam.. Let's see, we're only about.. 2,000 miles apart.

Logistics are your problem, not mine.

There are two theories about arguing with a woman. Neither one works.

Cool!! Glad to see you got that goin again Jim :D Can't wait to hear some more of the great stuff you come out with. Just a note of curiousity, if you don't mind answering how do you record your weekly improves? Do you record straight to hard disk or with your Elect/Acoustic Takimine, use mics etc??? Do you use a higher end recorder or an old 4 track?? Just curious.

And thanks again for the Flamenco lessons at Wholenote. There aren't that many Flamenco lessons around and I appreciate the help so freely given. Your efforts and thoughtfulness have not gone unnoticed.

Thanks Stratman, I am recording on hard drive with a Shure SM57 going through a small pre-amp that I built from one of Craig Andertons projects. I recently upgraded my computer, more gigabytes and a Soundblaster soundcard (highly recommended). This set-up allows me to get a clean enough signal that all I need to do is boost the eq slightly, the room I record in is big, with a high cieling giving just a touch of natural reverb.

Jim in Canada

Originally posted by Chip McDonald:

Ok, fine, we meet halfway at gatorwing's house.

You name the day...my house is open. And I probably am the half-way point! Steaks for dinner, what beer do you prefer?

There are two theories about arguing with a woman. Neither one works.

Archived