Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

music fair notes

Skip_dup1

Hey everybody

Well, the Tokyo music fair is over for another two years. Lotsa interesting gear, and performances by guitarists who remind us of the simple things in life (...I suck...).

Just an FYI note or two for those interested.

There`s a company called Big West that makes a line pf picks in various metals-titanium, brass, nickel/silver. Lost their info sheet but I believe they have a home page.

The people from Tacoma guitars were really cool-attitude-free and balanced about plusses and minuses of some of their designs.

Had a `Great Guitar Moment`-got to play around on an acoustic with a solid ivory fretboard and bridge (sorry Greenpeace). Setcha back about $30,000.

Ned Steinberger`s been doing some interesting stuff with Bolin Guitars-they have a website at www.zen-on.co.jp, but it was acting a little flaky when I tried it. Worth a look tho.

Zodiac guitars-worth checking out. www.zodiacworks.com

Roland`s VG-8 processor-freaking way out sounds. You can do string bends while sounding like a gong.

Matthias Ecklundh`s workshop-the whole 80`s techno flash guitar thing has been beat up plenty on this forum, but it`s still fun to hear live. Also interesting to hear some of the techniques broken down and explained (`take this riff, and play it really really fast`...).

On the down side, there`s nothing like somebody doing a nuanced fingerstyle piece, with a DJ blasting out beats on one side and somebody dive-bombing on an electric on the other. I hope my hearing impairment is only temporary (what`s that sonny? you`ll have to type in capital letters, LIKE THIS...).

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived