Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Do songwriters use software / books?

LiveMusic

Is there any software that songwriters use to help them? Like for rhyming words? Or just any software that helps them write in any way?

Or do they use books with memory joggers in them?

------------------

Duke

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I bought a rhyming dictionary and thought it would be brilliant for song writing. Thing is, I've never managed to use it. I used to write lyrics quite regularly, but I've dried up. It's weird but I wrote a full length novel and now I can't seem to think in terms of short stories told in three stanzas or whatever. Good thing my songwriting partner is absolutely amazing at lyric writing.

I use lotsa software while songwriting.

A Zillion Kajillion Rhymes & Cliches which is just a searchable rhyming dictionary, Band In A Box for working out chords over a melody, and Janus Node for dumb random lyric crap. JN is another random text maker thing, you just give it some source text fodder and it comes up with junk which you dig through later for cool stuff.

I'd rather hear BiaB do my chords than me playing them on guitar 'cuz that way my tunes start out more style-free. I have my own cliches and fallback patterns I know I'll tend to go to... this helps me to be more producer-ly.

I like to write my tunes at about 110 BPM or so, as generically as possible, (straight-up chords and melodies, that's it.. no rhythms).

Then later on change the tempo down (80-105 for urban) or up (125-135 for dance) and start being a stylist. 110 is a nice intermediate place.

I read lots of biographies, and I like writing tunes from the perspective of these people. Right now I'm working on lyrics about Howard Hughes, laying around Vegas naked on codeine, fretting about those contaminated fluids and goddamn Communists.

I'll probably do it in electro-funk style. I'll also give it to this chick demo singer who'll write some love lyrics or whatever and we'll work the same tune up house-style. It's fun.

G. Ratte'

Paul McCartney once wrote words of encouragement to a young musician and songwriter who was just starting out. Paul put those words into a song to make them easier to remember. If you could actually get a copy of this song and listen to it, rumor has it that you will learn everything you need to know to be a songwriter.

Would you like a chance to listen to this song and profit from McCartney's advice? You already have that opportunity. The song is called "Hey Jude," and the young songwriter was named Julian Lennon. Listen to the song in this context, and bright lights will start coming on. I promise.

P.S. Using a book as a reference for songwriting is like using a book as a reference in the boxing ring. If it's not inside you already, it can't help you.

Archived