Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

broken bridge - acoustic guitar

alcohol_

The wood supporting the bridge has cracked and the bridge leans forward. The guitar can't hold it's tuning.

I paid $800 for this guitar 7 years ago. It's pretty beat, but I got it refretted last year. It's a Fender Jumbo acoustic.

I use it for going to classroom to classroom as a music teacher in the Boston School system.

Question. is it worth getting the bridge fixed, or should I just buy a used guitar? Finding a luthier around Boston isn't that easy.

Joe

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Joe Egan:

The wood supporting the bridge has cracked and the bridge leans forward. The guitar can't hold it's tuning.

Is the actual top of your guitar warping or is the brigde just pulling up? Can you hear rattling like a brace has pulled loose? How big is the crack in the top and where exactly is it? Is the top sinking towards the soundhole and bulging up behind the bridge (toward the strap button)?

It's not difficult to glue the bridge back down but it does require some special clamps that fit through the soundhole. You can get them from stewartmcdonald. If your actual top is in bad shape then it needs replacing and this can get really expensive. It's not really a DIY project unless you've done a lot of acoustic repair. Many times small cracks can be repaired or ignored if they aren't getting worse. Need a bit more info, Joe.

The sprude front of the guitar has a thin crack in the middle which doesn't seem to affect the sound.

The bridge is leaning forward and the wood holding the bridge is badly cracked.

Since I use a guitar constantly, I'm going to buy another used guitar and look into getting this one repaired.

I have a Taylor 710 that I've been using but don't wish to bring that guitar to school. I was wondering what to do and I think having two guitars for work is the best situation since they get played so much.

Thanks all.

Joe

Archived