Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

RADIOHEAD TO THE RESCUE

Hello All, In an attempt to get some more music related topics in here, I`d like to discuss a band that has totally 180`d the way I see the current rock scene. Radiohead in my opinion is one of the most creative and daring bands that ever existed. I`m sitting here listening to KID A and I`m just amazed at the sound of this album. In a day when every band sounds like a copy of last weeks one hit wonder, Radiohead continues to push the sound of rock and roll to the point of total originality. I heard once that nothing is original but Radiohead sure comes close. Each new album is a journey into wonderland. Melodic, dreamy, haunting, confusing, etc... To me Radiohead is doing something that the Beatles would have eventually done if they had surivived the Ono. Schoenberg mets melody. Odd as that sounds, Radiohead has done and continues to amaze me. In a time when the sound of rock and roll sounds all the same RADIOHEAD has come to the rescue and reminds me of what is great about rock and roll. Thanks, Ernest

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
yea, i love kid a. great stuff. radiohead is a great band - one of my favorites. my one complaint about radiohead is that they seem to be becoming more and more a "jam band". this is ok, but i like a little bit of struggling and contemplation in music instead of the "whatever we do is cool" thing. i dunno. i like them. AND i like kid a. but in a way, i think ok computer is a little better, because i feel like its more thought out and struggled with. kid a drives my friends nuts. i used to play kid a for the "in between bands" changeover. people loved it or hated it; no inbetween.

Coaster, Radioyhead challenges our ears especially when one comes from the riff school of rock. There is a dreamy quality to their latest stuff that gives their music this very "unbalanced" sound but I actually think lots of time is spent getting it to sound this way. When you consider a guitar band can sound so "unguitar" that is definitely work. Ernest

It's like Bitches Brew by Miles Davis or The Other Village Vanguard Tapes from John Coltrane. It's the kind of music which is beyond normal consciousness, to play and listen to. Obvioulsy playing it is far more powerful, but that power is translated. I love it. I find Tool to be like that too, just a lot heavier.

"If you're flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit. Unless you are a table."

-Mitch Hedberg

Coast- Just from my own experience... 2 days in the studio doesn`t mean these songs weren`t worked on for a year. Right now I`m in pre production for a CD. I would say for every hour tracking there are 3-5 hours of pre production. I wouldn`t be surprised to hear they spent two days in the studio laying down the bones but there is way too much going on here so overdubs, efx and mixing most likely took weeks. Ernest

I like Radiohead as well, but they're nothing that unique and profound to me. Many lesser known bands have paved the way with better and/or more experimental, yet accessible, music, but Radiohead was lucky enough to have a couple of solid, plain, rock hits to get them moving into the mainstream. VERY mainstream. Yes, they're a huge jump ahead of most the shit bands right now, but they're not all that. At least not in my book.
No matter how good something is, there will always be someone blasting away on a forum somewhere about how much they hate it.

[quote] Radiohead continues to push the sound of rock and roll to the point of total originality. [/quote]Man, you're gushing. Are you practicing writing press kits? Or just aspire to music journalism? Pleh. They've got plenty of good tunes, more than average. Of their 3 last albums, two were nice and Insomniac was a total drag... but their sound I'd say is really warmed-over Pink Floyd. Some really basic trance noises mixed with emo 'textural' guitars. There are hundreds of obscure bands all across the USA composed of sensitive art-punk kids wearing white belts and bad glasses who've been playing guitar like that since the early '90s. Radiohead made the mindblowing leap forward of buying a Roland Trance-In-A-Box unit and BAM! The world of college rock falls to its knees. Anyways. I think they're pretty cool, but... whatever. Rock on, man. One constant theme with Radiohead though is the baggage. You always get all these college students with small record collections ranting about what geniuses they are, and I want to smack them. Moby too. Here's a secret: Moby's not a very good producer! He uses the same loops Dr. Dre does, 3 years late! My MOM has all his sampling source material in a Smithsonian box set! Shhh!!!! He also buys his sex! But don't tell nobody! Empires would crumble! Ok, I'm done being a jerk for today. I'll start thinking of new stuff for tomorrow though.

I'd love to hear some specific examples of bands that are out there doing what Radiohead is doing but better. They seem pretty original to me, but of course I haven't heard everything... Anyone listen to Isotope 217? That's some pretty hip stuff IMO. Nothing like Radiohead though.

To call Radiohead lucky and that there are hundreds of bands out there like them is really just plain naive. Listen to the Bends for starters, their Revolver album. The Bends was relaeasd in the mid 90s and no one at the time sounded like them and still no one does. Radiohead has the ability to write your classic guitar laden tunes with the huge choruses but they are so much more than that. KID A was the beginning of a new chapter for them and I think in years to come, KID A will be considered a classic. Its unfortunate that a band like them does not enjoy the radio play these knuckleheads get: Creed, Blink, etc... anyways... Ernest

Sorry, but I still think they were better when they rocked! They lost me somewhere between OK Computer and Kid A. It was determined in a previous thread that I was intellectually incapable of understanding their new direction. I've finally just accepted my ignorance and moved on...
None more black.

radiohead does many things, i like them, but they do NOT rock. to call them rock and roll is akin to calling george bush an intelligent, caring, anti-war president. the Donnas rock, the current radiohead make some interesting sound collages.... -d. gauss

[quote]Originally posted by Jotown: If the Donna's "Rock", the word "Rock" has lost all meaning.[/QB][/quote]i dunno. bon scott's been dead for a long time now, but to me, the donnas fill the "kiss or ac/dc big, dumb, rock" void very well... :) -d. gauss

[quote]Originally posted by Salamandroid: [b]I'd love to hear some specific examples of bands that are out there doing what Radiohead is doing but better. They seem pretty original to me, but of course I haven't heard everything... [/b][/quote]For what I like by Radiohead, I prefer Sigur Ros. Godspeed You Black Emperor as well. Mogwai and Japancakes. Mercury Project. Some of Black Rebel Motorcycle Club. It just occurs to me I'm listening to a genre of music that I don't think actually has a name, but it's fairly specific: "post-Meddle era Pink Floyd Shoe Gazer Arc Form Depressive Rock Music".

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

[quote]Originally posted by Chip McDonald: [b][QUOTE]It just occurs to me I'm listening to a genre of music that I don't think actually has a name, but it's fairly specific: "post-Meddle era Pink Floyd Shoe Gazer Arc Form Depressive Rock Music".[/b][/quote]The rest uf us simply call it "Augusta rock" ;) /Mats

http://www.lexam.net/peter/carnut/man.gif

What do we want? Procrastination!

When do we want it? Later!

Radiohead not rocking, blasphemous. Idioteque from Kid A ROOOOCKKKKKS like a mother, for me it was the most rocking song that came out that year. Kid A is a hypnotic rock album. Insomiac is good as well. Sigur Ros rocks beyond most bands for me, but unlike Chip, they don't do the same thing that Radiohead does for me. You can hear the Sigur Ros influence on Kid A and Insomiac, but I wouldn't put Radiohead in the same genre as Sigur Ros. But then all of this is coming from a guy that says fuck genres.

"All conditioned things are impermanent. Work out your own salvation with diligence."

The Buddha's Last Words

R.I.P. RobT

I'm a big Radiohead fan but I have to mention that I'm getting a little ill from all the over zealous praise for KID A. I really love KID A but it seams that the praise is for the fact that it was marketed as a non comercial album and that's what goes over rather than the music itself. I think Amnesiac is sonically a better sounding album as a whole. Also, on KID A, the song "Treefingers" is really a sub-par piece for them. I still can't understand why a song like "Meeting in the Aisle" was left to an EP between OK Computer and KID A. It definately could have been dropped into "Treefingers'" slot. That aside, I love the remainder of KID A. I love the entire Amnesiac album. Their music has saved my ass from depression too many times. They are definitely one of the greatest bands around.

Chest- I dissagree with you on Tree. I think its a track that goes into that contemporary classical genre where Schoenberg meets John Cage. Anyways, sonically speaking I don`t find any of their albums all that except the Bends but its not about that for me. These are songs that are so interesting with changes and melodies and effects. I`m not sure the songs stand up by themselves though but with that said, I still find their sound to be very challenging for the average listener. Listen to the last U2 CD "All that you can`t leave behind" and what you get are great songs but the sound quality sucks. Then there are times on the album when the timing is off but the emotion is there. Thats sort of how Radiohead stands with me, not the best sounding stuff or even great songs but the feeling is there. Peace, Ernest

Archived