Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Singal booster?

gtr

(um.... that would be SIGNAL booster - dyslexia flaring up) http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/redface.gif)

Hey all,

I am looking for a signal booster of sorts. I am plugging into some Stomp boxes, then running a line to a rack - then I am coming back to the front of stage and into an a/b box - then sending the signal back to 2 amps!! Whew! That is a lot of cable! So when I do this needless to say, I lose some signal - Does anyone know of an over the counter signal booster that would work to allow all that cable? I had the opportunity to jam with Vai recently, and he had a little box that someone had custom built for him for the same purpose, and it seemed to work great, but I would think that there should be a production one that would work. Any ideas? Anyone doing this? Thanks.

jeff

This message has been edited by gtr on 10-10-2001 at 11:11 PM

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's called a VHT Valvulator (it has at least 1 vacuum tube) and costs around $200.00. Guitar Center has them.

I had the same problem and found that my old Tubeworks RealTube pedal has a signal buffer that works even when the pedal isn't on. So I just put it in the beginning of the loop and my signal was restored to it's pre-effected glory.

"You never can vouch for your own consciousness." - Norman Mailer

I have been hesitating answering this question so that i wouldnt sound inadvertently rude but from what you describe you seriously need a signal BOOST-what units do you have in your rack? most rack units like a line signal as opposed to a guitar signal and if they are not getting that kinda signal you need some kind of pre amp in front of them. i like to see guitar into stompers and the other stuff in an efx loop at the guitar amp-maybe the VHT is the answer,i am not familiar w/ it. happy you got to jam w/ a heavyweight!!

btw-i use a for a clean boost-it is the bomb!!!imho

AMPSSOUNDBETTERLOUDER

Originally posted by gtr:

[bI had the opportunity to jam with Vai recently, and he had a little box that someone had custom built for him for the same purpose, [/b]

How'd you get to jam with Vai? Pretty cool....

The Carl Martin Overdrive is pretty clean, or if you can find one a T.C. Electronics Booster.

------------------

New and Improved Music Soon: http://www.mp3.com/chipmcdonald

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

Thanks for all the info! I have another question for all of you who have used a switcher like the patchmate or ground control - but will post that under another heading.

The Vai thing was really cool - he and his band were great - a music store and an Ibanez rep asked me if I would like to play with him when he came through town - So got up in the middle of his set and did a "funky E jam" and then "Black Dog". It was a real treat. And it's hard to have a better band - Mangini, Kneally, Bynoe - hard to sound bad with that happening!!

If anyone has any experience with midi switchers, look for my post on it - thanks!

Archived