Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

FTI- Acrylic nail update

stratman_dup1

Well, as some of you know I've recently taken up playing Classical guitar and ended up getting Acrylic finger nails because my natural ones kept breaking when playing electric. Here's a quick update for those interested.

I had the nails for about a month, filled once and they were working fine. But the true test came yesterday when I sat in for the guitar player in my old blues band while he was out of town. This is the first time I've played a gig with them, Acrylic nails that is. I know, 1 gig in a month REALLY SUCKS. Sad to say they didn't even last one full set. I ripped the I nail off about thirty minutes into the gig, my M nail was cracked and hanging up on the strings by the end of the first set so I had to file it off during first break.

I tell ya, when I felt the I nail go I really thought my own nail had gone with it. I just RIPPED it off my finger in one quick stroke, I can't believe the high E string didn't break as well. I was really expecting to bring my hand up and see blood just pouring out of my fingertip, it HURT. But somehow my own nail managed to stay intact.

Friggin bummer, I was really hoping they would hold up. I guess assaulting .011's at standard tuning was just too much for them. So it's back to playing Classical with no nails http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/frown.gifhttp://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/frown.gif

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was wondering how it was going. I've asked several girls about acrylic nails since you first posted. Some have said that your real nails become really thin. Mine are already thin, so I've doubted it would work. I don't know what guys do who take up classical and can't grow nails. I wonder if they quit or just play without nails? I thought classical technique was based on using the nails. I just wish I could grow and keep my nails for fingerpicking non-classical songs.

------------------

Duke

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

some-not all-classical techniques require nails of length. If you listen to Earl Klugh at all (commercial stuff, I know), he manages to do quite a bit without sounding like he`s doing a lot of nailpicking (I`m sure there`s a proper term for that but I don`t know what it is-rasgueado, or something).

I can tell you that it took me about a year before I could get my nails where they needed to be back when I was deep into classical guitar. I would always find some way to break or chip them until I got used to having them. I used to bite my nails before playing classical, so stopping that habit was not easy. If you are patient and take extra precautions, then your nails will eventually grow stronger and you will become more aware of having them so you don't break them. All of the acrylic solutions will only weaken your nails. I've yet to meet any professional classical players who don't use their natural nails.

-Dylan

Hey Stratman,

Welcome to the world of acrylic nails. Thet need to be maintained. I have never had a nail rip, break or crack. I keep my 'contact' area of the nail filed and smooth. How thick were yours? I have mine put on very thick. they realy are no trouble. getting them taken off is un-%$#@ bearable. If you maintain them you should not have any breaks or tears. Good luck

Hey Bonafide, they were THICK, and I did keep them filed smooth. If I just played Classical then I would be able to grow out my nails but I'm mainly an electric blues player and I have a mean attack on the strings plus I use a hybrid pick/nails technique. That's the problem, I break my nails when playing electric because I hit the strings so hard with my nails.

I heard once that Jimmie Vaughan was fond of saying Stevie Ray Vaughan played like he was trying to break out of jail. While not trying to compare myself to SRV that is a goo anology of how I play, I have to use .011's or I'll break the high E several times a night.

Livemusic- Unless you have an unusually hard attack on the strings with your fingers like I do I would still suggest trying the acrylic nails. I imagine they would work for 90% of players, they are really strong I just play too hard.

Thanks for the head's up. I still haven't had the chance to try this. Were the finger side of your acrylic nails thick, or beveled to where they would blend a bit into the cuticle? I can certainly see how you could hook one if it was even thickness to the back of the nail. Maybe try filing the rear down and adding material as that becomes the leading (playing) edge, as the nail grows and is cut back. I know this is a wordy explanation, but does it make sense to you, after having used the nails? (I've been breaking mine right and left, so I must find SOMETHING along these lines that works! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/eek.gifhttp://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif )

------------------

Neil

Reality: A few moments of lucidity surrounded by insanity.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Archived