Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

'57 Goldtop / Les Paul SG Reissues

michael c

Has anyone bought either the '57 Goldtop Reissue or Les Paul SG Reissue? What are your impressions? Do you know the difference between the Custom Shop versions of these instruments and the non-Custom Shop models other than the 'distressed old' look.

Thanks.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have a Custom Shop '57 Historic Reissue. It's a great guitar and I love it. I bought it on impulse. I was planning to buy a Macintosh Powerbook but the model was recalled just before I ordered it. One day I went into a guitar shop and saw the Goldtop used and just thought I'd try it. The owner of the store said it was a particularly good one. I played it and I could tell even before plugging it in that it had some tone and a good feel. I tried all the other custom shop Les Pauls in the store and the used one had a better tone so I ended up buying it on the spot. I figured the Macintosh recall was a sign, the guitar was a better investment since the Powerbook would already be obsolete. I had several of the original SG Les Pauls at one time. They were all from 1961 and it was my preferred axe for years. The Les Paul was too heavy to gig with all the time anfd the SG was a good compromise. I prefer a Les Paul at this point though. I don't gig much so the weight thing is not an issue but the Les Paul tone is nice to have as a flavor. I usually play Strats for most stuff. I still have room for a Flametop or a '56 reissue in my collection too. The '56 with single coils is a killer axe if you get a good one. Some of them can sound as bright as a Tele.

Mac Bowne

G-Clef Acoustics Ltd.

Osaka, Japan

You have no email address listed, Michael. Contact me at neil.bergman@gibson.com if you'd like info from Gibson. Hope to see more consumer responses, here.

------------------

Neil

Reality: A few moments of lucidity surrounded by insanity.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

I have your email, and I've been researching as much as I can about them. Specifically, the SG's are as different as night and day. The Custom shop is as historically accurate as they can achieve. The use of the 1963 Maestro vs. the side trem vibrato is due to problems with the side trem. Even though it is not, accurate to 1961. Other than that, the Custom shop reissue has better woods used, and dimensions more accurately represent 1961 SG's. The Gibson USA models are based on features that consumers requested from several years in the 1960's. The basic premise is true of the 1957 reissue and it's Gibson USA cousins. I have to check tommorow, at work, to see what I've left out of this description.

------------------

Neil

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Well, now that you mention it...

I discovered, quite by accident late today, that the custom shop uses narrower, shorter fret wire of a special alloy, that is unavailable on anything from Gibson USA, for the historic reissues.

------------------

Neil

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Archived