Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Johnny Smith & CD of Christmas tunes on guitar

dturner

Hi All,

I was wondering if there might be a few guitarists out there who dig the chord/melody style of playing ala jazz guitarist Johnny Smith. I have been learning some of Johnny's arrangments, and have collected chord charts for most of his recorded tunes. I am also thinking about doing a Christmas CD of only public domain tunes and selling it locally... anyone ever tried something like this?

Best Regards,

Dennis Turner

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Heck, go for it. I like the Johnny Smith style...smooth.

My buddy did an acapella choral CD of Christmas tunes last year...just layered his voice. Didn't sell it locally, though, just gave it away to friends and family. It was some great stuff...

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Hi Tedster,

Yes, family and friends will the the primary audience, but the entrepreneur in me is whispering in my ear as well. I live in the country near Cedarville, Ohio a Maybery-ish little village that is the home of Cedarville Baptist College [those wild Friday night milk parties.... man.. we can hear shouts of "OH GOODY!" and "YIPPEE!" echoing across the corfields till almost 8pm... and then there was the time a notorious Methodist agent snuck in with some buttermilk.... yikes!... but I digress] I am obviously not expecting to sell more than a couple of hundred copies at most, but it might at least pay for the duping costs for the whole project.

I guess the only thing I'd like some input on is this: Do I understand correctly that if the CD contains only public domain tunes, I do not have to deal with copyright issues... assuming I create the arrangements and do the performances?

Merrily yours,

Dennis

Archived