Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Most interesting historical concert experience

Kendrix

This is really fun/interesting. Reading/recalling this stuff makes me feel 20 yrs younger.

Here are another few of mine.

Zeppelin at the Garden round 70 or 71.

Standing at front of the stage.

A part of the stage near the piano actually started to collapse.

Plant started jumpin up & down on it.

It Was just incorporated into the general mayhem - even tho it was actually pretty dangerous.

Got to shake hands with a bearded Page between tunes near the end of the set.

He actually seemed as if his feet were on the ground so to speak.

Looked me in the eyes and seemed quite at ease with himself.

Saw the Allmans first time they played minus Duane - at CW post college.

Unfortunately, they had not yet re-gained their momentum.

Won a ticket at a big electronics show/convention in Las Vegas by singing a verse to a James Gang song in front of a few hundred folks. Got to see Joe Walsh & band play a bar wtih just a few hundred folks in it. This was just two years ago. He played lots of old stuff and sounded great. Cast you fate to the wind bit was really hypnotic.

Had first row seats to Humble Pie at the Fillmore East. Sat right in front of Frampton. We were a bit buzzed at the time and kept asking him to turn up his amp. You know to 11!! He actually went around and demonstrated that every knob he had control of was all the way up. They had a great classic 60's Strat / Marshall sound at the time.

Caught sight of Elvis Costello at a bar after a show in Rochester NY. A girl in our group approached him. This was in his early/angry days. True to his image he was quite nasty to her. It was very special.

Cheers

Check out some tunes here:

http://www.garageband.com/artist/KenFava

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Kendrix:

Here goes.

Please chime in - no BS allowed.

If the story aint 20 or so years old it dont belong here.

Heres my favorite.

1969 or 70.

The Doors were playng the Felt Forum (smaller venue that's part of the Madison Sq Garden complex- its now called something else)

My most hippified of HS friends, whose father was connected to the advert bus. in NYC and always got us tickets, asked me to join.

We were in row 13 as Morrison and the boys did their thing. The Chamber bros. opened up (By the way - listen to the live Seely Dan across america CD to hear how awesome Dennis Chambers -the drummer- still is.)

As the Doors set was gettin on we noticed that the stage had a drape hanging over the front and that there was enough space to crawl underneath. We were in the first of two shows that night.

As very clever teens we figured we'd slip under the stage & hang out till the second show started and join party #2.

We made it under. I can still recall Morrison bouncing around and bending the stage floor directly over my head. We surrounded ouselves with equipment cases so as not to be seen. The show ended. We hung out for abourt 15 minutes then some roadie moved the instrument cases and discovered us with a flashlight. Oh Well.

He showed us some side door an told us to get lost. Next thing you know we took a turn and ended up in the huge garden arena- lights mostly out - no one in it cept us. It was awesome. We took this in for a while then left for the LIRR and home. I still get buzzed when I recall this.

Even tho the Doors weren't really a guitar band i thought this tale would

make the grade with this crew.

No BS

Yeah, The NUGE in 73 at the FOX Theater in ST. Louis Mo.,

Two thing's made it worth remembering, Some Homo trying to Kiss my Band's

Drummer, Which I think he was Enjoying Til he Spotted me, And The Three Magnificantly Endowed Sweety's That Stripped And Tried on thier New Concert T-Shirt's, such a site to see !

Originally posted by d:

This thread is still going so here's another story: 1975 Weather Report in Gainesville, FL.

I remember them playing back then. Never did go to see them.

There are two theories about arguing with a woman. Neither one works.

Rick Turner and Lee Flier's experiences were knockouts, I'm so jealous! I saw the Stones at their first appearance in New York in 1964 and that must rate as a historic concert. Another one was an appearance by Bob Marley And The Wailers at Central Park in NY. I was one of only a few white people in the audience. I read about the show in the New York Times and went with a friend even though neither he nor myself had heard of Marley. I was before Clapton covered I shot the Sheriff and none of my friends had heard of him at the time. Needless to say I bacame a Bob Marley evangelist. I talked this Jamaican guy I met into taking me to a Jamaican record shop in the Bronx where I could get a Bob Marley LP, they still weren't available in regular stores yet. I got to see him later but nothing equalled the first ever hearing of Reggae music, especially after that guy next to us passed the spliff out of sympathy for us poor white kids with the skinny joint.

------------------

Mac Bowne

G-Clef Acoustics Ltd.

Osaka, Japan

My Music: www.javamusic.com/freedomland

Mac Bowne

G-Clef Acoustics Ltd.

Osaka, Japan

Archived