Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Johnny Smith - reamping - DIGI001

dturner

Hello All!

I have only recently found these forums... wonderful stuff! I just want to say hello, give a "state of the muse" report, and see if there is anone out there with similar interests and musical direction.

After a guitar playing haitus of some years, I've recently started reviving my chops by working out a few arrangements by jazz guitarist Johnny Smith. I don't read music, so I learned the old fashioned way... listening and figuring it out. The Amazing Slowdowner program [download.com] has been very helpful in figuring out chords and passing tones - still... Johnny's arrangements are brutal! If anyone is interested in this style of music, the results can be heard at: http://www.geocities.com/turnerresearch/guitar All tunes are based on Johnny's arrangments except "Amazing Grace", and were recorded with my new G4 and DIGI 001 system... which I am still learning how to use. All tunes were recorded direct thru a Presonus MP20 preamp, except the two acoustic guitar tunes which were recorded with a couple of condenser mics.

I've been studying up on "re-amping", a technique which involves recording an electric guitar track dry [at the same time playing thru a tube amp for the performance vibe factor] and then feeding the dry signal back to an amp later for re-recording. Ideally, the signal being played back out of the DIGI should arrive at the amp as close as possible to the original guitar signal, so this requires a change in level and impedance. It seems that the gadget from http://www.reamp.com is the way to go. I plan to scarf one up, and will put examples up to hear if anyone is interested in the reamping idea.

Best Regards,

Dennis

Cedarville, Ohio

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived