Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

classical G.A.S.

sbrock1san.rr.com

My tax rebate check was burning a hole in my pocket so I broke down and bought my first nylon-string guitar a few days ago. I've got to admit I am hooked and I am surprised how beautiful these things can sound. I was worried that another instrument that requires a new technique would take away from my other instruments but I'm not going to worry about that. I already did some recording with it last night and I can tell it will add another dimension to my music. It's a Yamaha CG171 with a spruce top....the collection expands again !

I found some websites with information on playing nylon-string guitar and I intend to buy some basic books at the music store this weekend. If anyone has any experiences or tips they would like to share I would be interested in hearing them.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by LiveMusic:

Have you played fingerstyle on steel acoustic before? How do you compare the two?

Totally different animals, Live. The timbre and feel of a classical guitar is vastly different from a steel string.

------------------

Neil

Reality: A few moments of lucidity surrounded by insanity.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

I agree, As someone who has recently bought a Nylon string myself I know what you mean Steve. The sound is like nothing else, I liked it so much I'm now taking classical lessons to try and really learn how to play it. I even went and got acrylic nails to play classical with; the feel, tone, and versatility of nails beats a pick any second of the day. For any who may be wondering I got the acrylic because I break my natural nails when I play electric due to the fact that I use a hybrid pick/finger style technique when playing electric. Everytime I'd hit the heavy gauge electric strings I use with my natural nail it would break but the acrylic holds up great.

Agreed Fantasticsound, They are two different animals. they both have their place but I don't regret for a second adding the Nylon string to my arsenal. What an incredible sound and feel.

I do seem to recall some years ago buying a set of kinda ringed false fingernails to play my nylon string guitar with. I could never get on with them however, so I have always played it au naturelle. I too love the tone and use it as often as possible, shame my band doesn't do that sort of material that often. It always amazes me that a change of tone or a new sound can inspire us so much..... Wonderful enjoy!!

Simon http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

...remember there is absolutely no point in talking about someone behind their back unless they get to hear about it...

love everything about em...my teacher was a classical guy from Julliard.

I`ve always had the impression, though, thay the sound would get buried in a band situation, unless everybody turns it down a bit (good luck).

Anyway, I asked about this before but didn`t check back-anyone familiar with the Godin multiac series? I`ve been thinking of one down the road...

Oh good, another convert! Actually, I still use steel string guitars for teaching and some jamming, both electric and acoustic, but nylon string, fingerstyle is what I do professionally now. I even quit the band I used to play bass in so I could play more nylon string gigs.

Anyway, I have some free lessons online that may interest you at:

http://www.wholenote.com/member/profile/plessons.asp?i=1614

All are concerned totally with fingerstyle technique, some basic, the examples are in tab and you can play them in MIDI at the tempo of your choice.

Regards, Jim in Canada http://www.mp3.com/jimgraham

I do play fingerstyle on steel-string but only about 20 percent of the time, I'm more of a strummer and arpeggiater using a medium pick. My early impression is that on nylon-string guitar you just have to concentrate more because if you hit a clunker it really stands out, and with steel-string you can afford to be a little sloppy and it actually lends to the charm of the instrument. Like Neil said, too different animals.

Because I live in San Diego I have seen many guitarists from Baja California and Mexico play classical and flaminco styles at the local colleges and restaurants, and they are just amazing musicians. They learn at a young age and their technique is flawless and you can feel their deep passion for the music.

Archived