Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

James Burton does not use any effects

LiveMusic

Just curious about something. I will go see James Burton play tomorrow night, something I am priveleged to a couple of times a month. (Whenever he's in town at his club.) I just realized something. I have never seen him use any kind of effects. It's just him and fingers. Some of the other guitarists (some of whom are quite good!) use lots of pedals. Is this rare? I don't know if he is always sans effects but I've never witnessed it. At least, I haven't noticed it.

------------------

Duke

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While I love to use effects, some guys just have "it". And when you do, you can STILL love and use lots of sound generation equipment, be it pedals, amps, or guitar types. Then again, you could just play.. on anything. James Burton definately has "it"! It's kind or nice to pick up a guitar, get on the plane, and not be loaded down with other equipment.

------------------

Neil

Reality: A few moments of lucidity surrounded by insanity.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

James Burton does have "it", no one could debate that. But the issue of effects or no effects can be a stylistic one as well. When I jam with guys doing traditional country or blues, its just the guitar and amp that goes. When I get with guys doing a little bit of a modern thing, I tend to bring a handful of pedals. Then, there are a couple of guys I get with very rarely who are into totally esoteric prog-rock stuff. When I get with them, I would literally take the kitchen sink if I could figure out how to run a signal through it.

Take care,

Glenn

Archived