Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

4X12 mod question

timrocker

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by timrocker:

Hi All;

I have a Jackson 4X12 cabinet with 4 Celestion 16-ohm speakers. It's wired for mono now, and I'd like to add a switch and be able to use it in stereo or mono. Any one have experience in that department? Thanks.

Not worth the trouble IMO. The only people that will hear the stereo effect will be those standing point blank in front of the cabinet, and if they're doing that the volume is probably killing them.

------------------

New and Improved Music Soon: http://www.mp3.com/chipmcdonald

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

I'm with chip on this one. Stereo in a single cab is nearly useless. The people on one side will hear that side much better and vice versa. The people directly in front will hear a little bit of stereo imaging, but not much. Leave stereo stuff for the studio - it really has no place in live sound. Just my $0.00000002 million.

Matt

No clever saying.

No matter how good something is, there will always be someone blasting away on a forum somewhere about how much they hate it.

Thank you all for your replies and input. I realize that stereo in a single 4X12 cabinet is regarded as an unhearable condition for most of the room. That said, I have a need to try it, because my Lexicon Signature 284 is a stereo power amp. I'll actually be printing the output from the discrete XLR's or 1/4 inch direct outs on it. So, the need to use my 4X12 is primarily so that I can monitor effectively, and so the power of the amp will have somewhere to go. Make sense? If I were to try to achieve this effect live, it would probably take another amp and a cabinet on either side of the drum riser. Someday... Thanks again.

Another great aplication for this is if you want to run two different amp heads on one cabinet. Say, a fender head on the right for clean, and a cranked marshall on the left for overdrive, then switch between the two amp's inputs. This requires two mics in front of the cab live, but I have seen it done with much success.

DC, the only problem with the above sugestion is that you will be stuck with two 8 ohm loads without the option of going back to mono 16 ohm. What would you do if you wanted to use that cab with a mono amp that was only stable down to 8 ohms? Can't be done. I sent tim a circuit alowing instant switches between 8 ohm stereo and 16 ohm mono. It's probebly similar to what Marshall and Mesa use. I can send it to you if you are interested.

James

Sorry,King, mathmatically impossible,you will need o ohm speakers. With 16 ohm speakers, your options are 64 ohms, (all four wired in series) 16 ohms, (two parallel pairs wired in series) or 4 ohms (all four speakers wired in parallel) any other combination would yield uneven power distrobution to the speakers.

Archived