Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

People who's hobby is recording live music

LiveMusic

I am acquainted with a guy whose hobby it is to go to live acts and he tapes their music for his own enjoyment. I have never seen his equipment but I understand he has quite a bit of money invested. And he said that there are "lots" of people that do this. Like, this is what they do on weekends. They travel around hoping to nail a good recording.

Several questions come to mind.

1. Bands allow these people to do this? He said that sometimes, the band will even allow them to "plug in" to their mix.

2. If they don't "plug in," their microphone is good enough to get a quality recording? Interesting.

3. Does this type of thing have a name?

4. Is it legal for him to record music with an open mic at any act or must he stop if the band tells him to?

5. Must they have a power source or are they battery driven?

------------------

Duke

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by LiveMusic:

1. Bands allow these people to do this? He said that sometimes, the band will even allow them to "plug in" to their mix.

2. If they don't "plug in," their microphone is good enough to get a quality recording? Interesting.

3. Does this type of thing have a name?

4. Is it legal for him to record music with an open mic at any act or must he stop if the band tells him to?

5. Must they have a power source or are they battery driven?

1. many bands do.

2. generally, for live taping, microphones are preferred to a board mix. with microphones, you record what you hear. with a board mix, you record only what the microphones on stage pick up. usually a lot of drums and vocals and not much else.

3. yes, it's called taping. people who do it are called tapers.

4. it's illegal if the band or venue forbids it. most corporate venues forbid it except in special cases (well known band that allow taping. the dave matthews band is a good example) generally it's a good idea to get permission. that said, there are options for 'stealth taping' battery powered in-ear condenser mics that plug into a DAT or Minidisc portable are popular, and you get a very high quality digital recording.

5. see above. it depends on the equipment.

Yeah, I have a portable minidisc recorder with a nice little stereo T mic that I've recorded LOTS of concerts on. Seems to work best when my seats are strategically located by the wall of PA. I don't sell them or pass them around, just for my own enjoyment. Counting Crows doesn't care, in fact Adam says he has hundreds as well. I've recorded local bands too with pretty damn good results. Initially I bought it as a sketchpad recorder, but it's proven to be alot more than that. Coming off the board with all the sidechaining and all goin on the mix will sound pretty terrible, though I have some recordings made on cassette that a good bud did while mixing monitors for several Austin biggies, that sound awesome. I could see someone getting angry about bootlegs if someone was making money off of your work, however I see nothing wrong with capturing a performance, in fact some bands encourage it. Michelle Shocked might not ever got her break had it not been for the portable recording walkman that captured her breakthrough album Campfire songs, or something like that. I'm sure everyone isn't in agreement with this, but oh well, I'm still gonna record when I can and enjoy the music.
Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

Bootlegging (as it's been known for decades) is in the ears of the bands! The Greatful Dead have been mentioned, and they are probably the most recorded band of all time, when you count all the bootlegs!

I, too, use a minidisc recorder, with a compact stereo mic or board feed. The board feed works wonders when you can set up your own mix. (not often, unless you are the mixer!) I routinely recorded acts at The Sutler Bar & Grill in Nashville when I mixed there. I always asked the bands if they minded, first. Most were flattered, so long as I didn't sell copies, which I don't. Bill Frisell was the only nationally known act I recorded as I mixed. I didn't own the minidisc when Capitol Records - Nashville had a private party there. Man I wish I'd been able to record THAT one. Among others, Garth Brooks played.

Even as the mixer, due to the limited nature of the sound system, I had to cope with eq compensation for the house sound on my mix.

------------------

Neil

Reality: A few moments of lucidity surrounded by insanity.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Archived