Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

setups and letdowns

Skip_dup1

just posted this but it may have accidentally been zapped...

As fine as the wormanship and craft is on instruments here in Japan, getting a good setup done on a guitar can be a real pain in the butt, even at the manufacturer`s place. I seem to remember an interview with Joe Satriani, where he said he uses as many as 15 different setups on various guitars, depending on the requirements of the music. It seems like it would be worth learning to do it oneself.

Do you do your own? do you take it to someone reliable? if you do it yourself, did you take a luthiery class? a repair class? trial and error?

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You do not mention what type of guitar(s) electric, acoustic and what for you, consists of a "setup".I'll take a general shot at this: The overall answer will depend, in a large part, on your mechanical aptitude and how far you want to take learning and acquiring equipment. I do, and have always done, my own. I acquired the skills and tools over time.(I've also worked in several trades-which helps) Needless to say my first attempts were...uh...experiments.

Electrics, of a certain level of quality and in good condition are not that difficult. The Stratocaster is a unique beast but you can learn most everything you need to know (for them and in general, other electrics) at the excellent Fender website (Fender.com) I was initially mystified by the Strat setup. I've since taken an old, thrashed dog and turned it into quite a pleasing and reliable player-stays in tune with floating trem bar. I've also completely gutted then shielded and rewired this guitar. Doing nuts and bridges on acoustics is an acquired skill but not that difficult when you learn the principles involved.

Doing your own setup work is very satisfying and usually far less expensive. Most everything you need to know is out there in book form as well as on video and the web. I don't think you need a class unless you're considering a career as a luthier.

Caveat: Although I've done some difficult neck repairs and some complete refinishing I am not a luthier and I recommend that you leave things like refretting and major woodwork to the pros.

Have at it.

I've been doing my own setup/repair work for over 20 years, and building custom guitars for about 12 years. I started out by reading books and making a lot of mistakes... luckily I make FEWER mistakes now. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif

Scott

(just another cantankerous bastard)

Archived